You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disable anti-aliasing for specific objects

Hi, just discovered Affinity Designer and impressed by what I've seen so far. Looking to use it as my tool of choice for web design instead of Fireworks. One thing preventing me from doing so just yet is I can't seem to find a way to disable anti-aliasing on specific objects.

This image shows a square exported from Affinity Designer (left) vs a square exported from Fireworks:

IhRrKSO.png

Any idea how I can achieve this? If not I'll go pop a suggestion over in feature requests.

post-35697-0-29526100-1471854713_thumb.png

What export file type are you using (JPEG, PNG, etc.)?

Why is turning off anti-aliasing a concern? Web browsers are very likely to display images anti-aliased whether or not the original is. In Designer, you can use the move by whole pixel & force pixel alignment options to minimize the need for anti-aliasing, but that won't matter much if someone is viewing the web page on a device with a browser that anti-aliases anything that doesn't align with pixel boundaries.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Jazcash,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you have Force Pixel Alignment enabled in the Snapping Manager... (menu View ▸ Snapping Manager...).

Note that objects created before enabling this setting may still not be aligned with the pixel grid due to either they X, Y coordinates or Width and Height being whole pixel values so you have to reposition them manually. Also note that if you enable Move by Whole Pixels before repositioning these objects they will continue being moved misaligned in relation to the pixel grid since you are forcing them to move whole pixels without their coordinates or width/height values being integer numbers.

Finally make sure the stroke is aligned to inside or outside the rectangle. By default it's placed in the middle so if you are using a 1 pixel stroke it will not fit exactly on the pixel grid but will be filling  one half of two pixels rows/columns.

To help you visualise all this on canvas you can switch the View Mode (menu View ▸ View Mode) to Pixels or Pixels (Retina).

Hi Jazcash,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you have Force Pixel Alignment enabled in the Snapping Manager... (menu View ▸ Snapping Manager...).

Note that objects created before enabling this setting may still not be aligned with the pixel grid due to either they X, Y coordinates or Width and Height being whole pixel values so you have to reposition them manually. Also note that if you enable Move by Whole Pixels before repositioning these objects they will continue being moved misaligned in relation to the pixel grid since you are forcing them to move whole pixels without their coordinates or width/height values being integer numbers.

Finally make sure the stroke is aligned to inside or outside the rectangle. By default it's placed in the middle so if you are using a 1 pixel stroke it will not fit exactly on the pixel grid but will be filling  one half of two pixels rows/columns.

To help you visualise all this on canvas you can switch the View Mode (menu View ▸ View Mode) to Pixels or Pixels (Retina).

Awesome! Thanks for all this info, got it looking crisp now  :)