You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD auto jump to selected object in layer panel

Hear me out.. Why not let AD do the work for you.. So instead of the user having to find layers and groups by scrolling, it should just jump right to the selected object/group in the Layer PaneI. I mean AD highlights selected, but it could just as well jump to it.  I would LOVE to see this added  :wub: 

• Staff

Hi Paekke,

This was already requested as VIPStephan said and it's on the Common Feature Requests list in the General functionality section: Layers panel > toggle to automatically scroll to/display the selected layer. I would like to have it too but it's up to the dev team to decide if or how to implement it.

some while ago I listened to a talk about some IPv6 stuff in Android and how it was delayed by a "simple" developer (in a google scale of things) and even though the bosses wanted the things to work differently it was the very developer that was so deep into the code that it was really up to him to make the decisions, even the supervisors can´t make the developers do everything they want (and maybe that´s also a good thing, huh?) :D

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/androids-lack-of-dhcpv6-support-poses-security-and-ipv6-deployment-issues/

Yeah, me and others before me have requested that quite a while ago already. Doesn’t hurt to remind the devs once in a while, though.

dang I searched the forum and found no results before posting.. :wacko: But it sure is a lovely feature to have ;)

So instead of the user having to find layers and groups by scrolling, it should just jump right to the selected object/group in the Layer PaneI. I mean AD highlights selected, but it could just as well jump to it.

We can already jump to a selected object via the 'Find in Layers Panel' option on the context menu, but I agree that it would be nice to have the app do the jumping automatically.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

'View > Studio > Layers' works fine for hiding/showing the entire Layers panel, but it would be nice to be able to 'Collapse All' or 'Collapse All Except Current' so that you only see the parent layer/group for the objects that you're working on.

Alfred spacer.png

Alfred,

I'm talking about hiding/showing objects, not layers. Like the "Hide" command from Illustrator and then reverse "Show All" command. They are much better than having to dig through the Layers Panel to hide and show objects. It would greatly decrease the amount of wasted time spent looking for objects in the Layers Panel. You could select an object and hide it with a keystroke or you could hide other items and isolate just one object with a keystroke. As well, as it is now in Designer there isn't a good way to show (or turn on the visibility) of an object that currently hidden. For example, let's say that I have many layers and within each layer I have many objects. If I hide one object and later I decided to show it, there isn't an efficient way to show it. I would have to remember which layer it was on and then dig through all the objects until I found the one that had been hidden. Sure it works now but it just isn't efficient nor is it smooth as it could be. Jumping to the selected object is better than how things are now but it still wouldn't be as efficient as a simple "hide/show all" command that could be used as a shortcut. Having a "hide/show all" command would be faster and more importantly for me, it would decrease the amount of mousing and clicking that I currently have to do. 

Hokusai

Ah, OK, I understand now! That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Alfred spacer.png

You said it Hokusai!!

Until this and a few other small but very very key features are implemented/ironed out I'm still forced to wear that other hat and wait on jumping in with both feet...

...watching progress daily and waiting patiently...  ;)

retrograde,

I'm in the same boat as you. There are so many wonderful things about Designer, things that are much better implemented than other programs and yet there are still a few things that are missing. I still keep a slightly older copy of Illustrator on hand because there are just somethings that can't be done using Designer (or they can be done but it is painful like selecting a lot of similar objects). "Hide" and "Show All" may seem small and unnecessary things to some but for me they are very important. I was always surprised that Adobe didn't add the "Hide" "Show All" command to every program as it is so useful and saves so much time. It might not be as useful in a photo application as it is in a vector app but I think it would still be useful and I think it would be great in a page layout app. I don't know how many times I have used Indesign and thought "Man, if only it had "Hide & Show All"!" There are times when it would be nice for to have the program jump to the selected object in the layer panel but for me an even better thing would be to avoid spending time using the Layer Panel as much as possible and "Hide" "Show All" does this smoothly and efficiently. 

Hokusai

• 10 months later...

Due to the last reply this thread showed up in “My Content” again and that reminds me of another tiny little request that is related to this: Currently (in AD 1.6) it opens and jumps to the layer/object that is clicked, which is exactly what we wanted. But I had to work with a lot of artboards and layers lately and you’ll end up with an endless open tree of layers and objects in the panel.

So, how about this: layers/groups/artboards that are opened automatically (by selecting an object on the canvas) should also be closed automatically after the containing objects are deselected. Only if layers etc. are opened manually in the layers panel they should stay open. This would help keep the overview in the layers panel a little more tidy.