You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to create a path from a selection?

Hello everyone! 

I'm brand new to this forum as I just bought Affinity Photo and Designer to replace a couple of Adobe products! I LOVE Affinity but I'm still learning some of the ins and outs. 

One of the biggest features I loved about photoshop was the ability to use the quick selection wand and then create a path from the selection. This was great because I always use vector masks when cutting out objects and it saves me tons of time, not having to use the pen tool to draw around parts of an object. 

Vector masks are the best because of the control and percisioun that you can achieve on the edges. I'm hoping Affinity Designer or photo has this function but I didn't see it anywhere. If anyone knows if this is possible, let me know! I'd really appreciate it! 

I can still make my masks using the pen tool but using a selection would be fantastic! :)

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, Poptoogi. :)

It's currently only possible to create a selection from a path, not the other way around.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Poptoogi, I'm glad your question was answered. I too especially look forward to that feature for when it arrives. Also, if you're just starting out, I'll add that there is a special technique to make that feature very helpful; paste inside objects. That's what this person does with the fish and second ball in this video to add shading effects. I thinking that's fantastic.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Also...

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/842-affinity-designer-feature-roadmap/?p=2972

it´s on the roadmap of Affinity Designer so it will come as a free update 

I think the features on the roadmap are for the commercial version. Unless you mean they're free updates with the purchase of the previous bought version, I don't think they will come free for people who are only trying out the beta. Unless I'm wrong, I just want to make that clear for Poptoogi.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Hi bleduc,

The features listed on the roadmap will be introduced first in the Betas for testing and feedback purposes. As soon as they are stable and bug free they are integrated in the Mac App Store version as free updates (until version 2.0 which is a paid upgrade).

Users who already have purchased the commercial version - the Mac App Store version - are able to install the Beta if they are willing to do so downloading it from the forums. Users who have not purchased it or are running the trial are NOT able to install the Beta.

I too especially look forward to that feature for when it arrives. Also, if you're just starting out, I'll add that there is a special technique to make that feature very helpful; paste inside objects.

You don't actually need to cut and paste (which would replace the contents of the system clipboard). You can 'insert inside' by pressing the appropriate button on the Insertion toolbar before you draw the object.

post-8358-0-26713000-1473087455_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

Users who have not purchased it or are running the trial are NOT able to install the Beta.

Just for information, Brian ('bleduc') is a Windows user, like me, so we only have the beta version to play with. This means that we'll see this feature if it's added in 1.5, but not if it's being held back for a later 1.x release.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi bleduc,

The features listed on the roadmap will be introduced first in the Betas for testing and feedback purposes. As soon as they are stable and bug free they are integrated in the Mac App Store version as free updates (until version 2.0 which is a paid upgrade).

Users who already have purchased the commercial version - the Mac App Store version - are able to install the Beta if they are willing to do so downloading it from the forums. Users who have not purchased it or are running the trial are NOT able to install the Beta.

Thank you for clearing that up. So for Windows users, there will be a paid version after the current Windows betas are complete. And then for people who made the purchase can experiment with the next roadmap features in beta until those betas are complete.

You don't actually need to cut and paste (which would replace the contents of the system clipboard). You can 'insert inside' by pressing the appropriate button on the Insertion toolbar before you draw the object.

attachicon.gifAD_Insert-inside.png

Yes, I realized that, and I almost mentioned it. I just left it out since that video was what first introduced me to that technique, and so newcomers can understand what's going on. Though, I do now prefer pressing that button rather than going into the menus.

I do now prefer pressing that button rather than going into the menus.

Me too, Brian! It's a really handy way of creating a clipped object. (You probably already know that DrawPlus has a 'Draw Inside' toolbar button.)

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

Regarding layer clipping, you can also drag the layer over the the object's layer you want to use as a clipping path in the Layers panel.

Just for information, Brian ('bleduc') is a Windows user, like me, so we only have the beta version to play with. This means that we'll see this feature if it's added in 1.5, but not if it's being held back for a later 1.x release.

It will be the same for Windows (as far as i know). If you purchase Designer after its release on Windows you will continue to have access to the then called Customer Betas. Currently Designer for Windows is available as a Public Beta so everyone can try it freely until its release. 

Sounds good. I was so excited when I first found out that Affinity is coming to Windows.