You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Beta 3) Metadata handling

I have been looking at the EXIF/metadata handling in 1.5 Beta 3 and found a few issues. I know it is still early days in the beta cycle and I hope these will be rectified before release.

I used a .ORF raw file from an Olympus Stylus 1 as my starting point and simply imported the file and exported it as a highest-grade .JPG file.

Here are my findings so far

1 Display

.ORF - Some items are missing in the Summary display although they are present in the file

“Copyright”

“Description”

“Author” is also missing but this is present in the raw file under the “Creator” and "Artist" tags so I can understand it being absent.

.JPG - Same comments as for the .ORF file above. In addition other items are now missing:

“Date shot”

“Exp. prog”

“Metering”

Furthermore, some items have been changed

“Aperture” was 2.8 in the .ORF now shows 2/1 for the .JPG

“Exp. bias” in the .ORF was 0 now shows 0/1 for the .JPG

2 Metadata

Some metadata items seem to have been stripped when converting from raw to .JPG.

These include:

“Artist“

“By-line“

“Caption-Abstract“

“CircleOfConfusion“

“CodedCharacterSet“

“Compression“

“Contrast“

“Copyright“

“CopyrightNotice“

“CreateDate“

“Creator“

“DateTimeOriginal”

“Description“

“DigitalZoomRatio“

“ExifVersion“

“ExposureProgram“

“Flash“

“FocalLengthIn35mmFormat”

“GainControl“

“GPSAltitude“

“GPSAltitudeRef“

“GPSImgDirection“

“GPSImgDirectionRef“

“GPSMapDatum“

“GPSSpeed“

“GPSSpeedRef“

“GPSTrack“

“GPSTrackRef“

“GPSVersionID“

“Keywords“

“LightSource“

“MaxApertureValue”

“ModifyDate“

“Orientation“

“PrintIMVersion”

“Rights“

“Sharpness“

“Subject“

“WhiteBalance“

In addition, some items seem to have been altered:

“Aperture” was 2.8 in .ORF is now 2 in .JPG

“FNumber” was 2.8 in .ORF is now 2 in .JPG

“FocalLength” was 9.8 mm in .ORF is now 9.0 mm in .JPG

“FocalLength35efl” was 9.8 mm (35 mm equivalent: 46.0 mm) in .ORF is now 9.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 42.1 mm) in .JPG

“HyperfocalDistance” was 5.36 m in .ORF is now 6.31 m .JPG

“LightValue” was 10.6 in .ORF is now 9.6 in .JPG

Some of these are probably the result of the algorithm Affinity Photo uses to convert to JPG but I would not have expected items such as "Aperture" to change and in fact Lightroom does not change them when exporting the same file to JPG.

I guess that metadata handling is not a high priority at this point in the beta cycle and some of the missing items might not seem to be that important. On the other hand, it should not be difficult to just pass values through from the raw to the processed file. When items such as creation time/date are missing it causes havoc when trying to organize the images in a DAM.

Thanks Andy.

I might have missed some items and some differences might be expected. I only tested one file from one camera so it is not exhaustive.

I used ExifTool to print out the metadata for the .ORF and .JPG files and compared the alphabetized items in a spreadsheet. There was some manual comparison involved so I hope I didn't make too many mistakes.

Anyway, it's something that should probably be looked at before release.

Just checked Beta 4 and there is no change from Beta 3 in the metadata handling (as far as I can see) although "- Fixed failure to write metadata." appears in the list of Improvements & Fixes.

Maybe it didn't make it into this version or this refers to a different fix?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just tested the trial version of Affinity Photo a few months back and waiting for the bug to be fixed to actually buy it. I can see that it's still not solved and that's a shame... I would really like to come to Affinity (Lightroom is not that easy too use). Let me know if the problem is solved.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.