You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi JPWatkins,

Remove that line from the Plug-ins Support Folders section, then click Authorise Global and Authorise again from the dialog that will open. Close the Preferences dialog and restart Affinity Photo. Check if the plug-ins are working after that.

To see how your Preferences / Photoshop Plug-ins config should look like take a look a the screen capture i posted on post #14

@ R C-R

>"Just curious, but did you have Adobe Photoshop or Bridge installed on your system, and/or did you add the supplemental install location like the video shows at about the 2:45 point in the video? Some users who do not have any Adobe products installed seem to overlook the need to use the plus button in the installer to add a pre-created folder for the plugins, like the video shows near the beginning.

>This has been mentioned several times in the Affinity forums but it is easy to overlook that critical step."

You didn't actually ask this of me, but it applies.

I have an old version of Photoshop and Bridge on this disk (I forgot I had it on here.) But I did follow the instructions and create a supplemental install etc. as you can see from the screenshots I posted.

Hi JPWatkins,

Remove that line from the Plug-ins Support Folders section, then click Authorise Global and Authorise again from the dialog that will open. Close the Preferences dialog and restart Affinity Photo. Check if the plug-ins are working after that.

To see how your Preferences / Photoshop Plug-ins config should look like take a look a the screen capture i posted on post #14

Did as you advised.

The preferences still indicate Analog and Color FX "requires global support"

Silver FX still works, but the funky splash screen still comes up and I still have to click the button to complete the action (and the countdown has gone down another day.)

post-20819-0-62093200-1471968199_thumb.png

OK

I see the slash now.

I didn't get it before. I thought I needed to specify a path to the plugins.

(I won't ask why I have to specify a path when the specified path leads to the whole fricking computer!)

Yes, now all three plugins work, and work properly.

Interesting to me, if I remove the global support, the silver FX Plug in (and only the Silver FX plugin) gets the trial countdown splash page on it.

(Being able to share a screen shot is very handy!)

Thanks so much for all the help. I'll be very happy when the 1.5 release comes out and I can use the rest of the plugins.

• Staff

You did specify the path to the plug-ins in the section above labelled Plugin Search Folders.

The section on bottom labelled Plug-in Support Folders is to add additional support files the plug-ins may need. Usually you would have to specify them for each plugin (due to App Store apps restrictions/Sandboxing) but it was still problematic in some cases. So the Authorise Global button was added to ensure maximum compatibility and access to the whole local disk. It helps to simplfy the process for the user.

Glad to know the issue is solved.

When I search my computer, for "Silver Efex Pro 2" these (the ones in "NIK Collection" and "Photoshop Plugins>Google") are the only two instances that come back. I have no idea where the Aperture versions are (unless Aperture uses these?) 

Since I do not have Aperture installed, I deleted the Aperture versions from my Mac to save file space, but if memory serves, they may be in ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Since I do not have Aperture installed, I deleted the Aperture versions from my Mac to save file space, but if memory serves, they may be in ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture.

Yeah, . . . 

I poked around earlier and found them.

It appears with the exception of the Applications folder, searches on the Mac go no higher in the file structure than certain folders (documents, Downloads etc.) inside the user folder. That seems weird, no? No wonder I can't ever find stuff.

Spotlight by default excludes "system" level items from searches, which for reasons known only to Apple includes items in the user Library folder. To get Spotlight to show you these items, you have to use the Finder's search field & add "System Files > Are included" to the search criteria. In the same way, you can add "File visibility > Visible or invisible" if you want to include (most) normally hidden files in search results.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Spotlight by default excludes "system" level items from searches, which for reasons known only to Apple includes items in the user Library folder. To get Spotlight to show you these items, you have to use the Finder's search field & add "System Files > Are included" to the search criteria. In the same way, you can add "File visibility > Visible or invisible" if you want to include (most) normally hidden files in search results.

I knew there was some way to do this but have never seen how (short of using the terminal—but I'm no Unix champ either.)

I should probably buy a copy of the latest "Mac Bible" or whatever the current equivalent reference book is.

• 3 months later...

I've a problem: I've just bought Affinity and now I'm trying to install the Nik Collection Plugins, but every time I try to select the "Photoshop plug-ins" section in "Affinity Photo Preferences", the program crashes.

All the others sections in "Preferences" work.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have succesfully installed nik plugins to my AP and some of them work.

My question is about Nik Sharpener output will only work if 'Display" is selected. When I change the selection to  'Inkjet' or 'Continuous Tone' it just turns into graphic large squares and is clearly not working.

I was wanting to know if those selection are not yet compatible with AP yet? or am I doing something wrong. It does function for the display output selection. I am learning and am not really tech savvy as you all are.

If it is not yet fully compatible with AP will it be in the future?

Thank you  :)

@Megan

See and read >>this<< in the Google NIK Collection forum!

Sadly the NIK Collection hasn't been updated for a long time now since Google bought "NIK Software" and I pretty much doubt that Google nowadays has much interest in any further development efforts for it. Otherwise they probably wouldn't have made it freely available and would instead still charging money for it. So you can't bet on any future compatibility here, at least not from Google's side. - Another point is, that NIK Software once has build this software mainly for PS(E), Lightroom and Aperture plugin integration and thus not explicitely for supporting AP too. Hence it's hard to tell, if maybe on the other side, the Affinity dev team might can do something here for a smoother full working plugin integration.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2