You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 3)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes, improvements

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5 Beta 3 Here

This is an early beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Improvements

- Beginnings of "sticky settings" - blur filters, noise filters, sharpening filters, selection tools, some brushes and assorted other things are now sticky - more to come.

- Added ability to place multiple files at once from File -> Place (they will just be added top-left of the document).
- Reliability improvement for HDR merge and Tone Mapping.
- Made sure the batch progress panel is shown when starting a batch job.
- Batch can now use any support file type as input (not just images - so PDF, PSD, etc. work).
- Added a menu item and shortcut key to re-enter Live Projection mode.
- Started adding editability for recorded macro items - more to come.
- Batch can now process RAW files without making them dark.
- Made the Denoise filter have equivalent UI to the Develop version.
- Posterise can now go down to "1 level" (zero and full).
- Added a new "32-bit Preview" panel (to change exposure, gamma preview for 32-bit documents).
- 32-bit documents are now faster - using GPU properly.
- Improved metadata preservation for HDR merge, focus merge, panorama stitching.
- Creating a new document from the clipboard contents starts up as "needs saving".
- Subtle inpainting improvements.
- Improved "Clone Sources" panel.
- Add a default snapshot when creating a panorama.

Fixes

- Fixed failure to write any metadata ever.

- Fixed bugs with the "Edit In" Photos extension.

- Fixed TIFF export problems for OS X 10.11.6.

- Fixed luminosity bugs with HSL adjustment when applied to a specific hue range.

- Fixed warning when exporting a Macro.

- Fixed "Invert Layer" for 32-bit documents.

- Fixed "Curves" (and other things which use a curves-like edit box).

- Fixed issue where Develop would look dark until you changed any setting.
- Fixed multiple issues with Dodge / Burn tools.
- Fixed multiple issues with equirectangular projections.
- Fixed issues with perspective live filters.
- Fixed issues with Split Toning in CMYK.
- Fixed some UI issues for macOS Sierra.
- Fixed infinite memory use bug with Tone Mapping.
- Fixed issue where document would turn grey when converting to 32-bit.

Thanks again for taking the time to use this beta!

Affinity Photo Team   :ph34r:

>>  ONE CAN DRAG THE OPACTY LABEL to change layer opacity, hey you tablet users out there  :P 

some bugs:

- Info page still has white scrollbar on macOS (and no adjustable sampler size  :unsure: ) (reported)

- switching color modes of curves does not always change back to master curve of the new color mode (reported)

- macro is still...meeeh, can´t say much about it cause I can´t really use it (I´ve got a list of a dozen macros I´d like to create though)

mainly wish it finally had:

- color selector 

- curves improvements

definitely not out of the woods yet but making solid improvements looking good, thanks for the update/ upgrade  :lol: 

affinity beta user

• Staff

Thanks MBd,

The white scrollbars are pesky :) They only affect Sierra and I've been hunting them all week - I'll get that one fixed :)

The curves thing is logged - it's on my hit list..

Macros are still very much a work in progress - we dedicated a little time this week to fixing a few old bugs which people were getting frustrated with ;)

Andy.

most importantly the curves bug, that was like,,,ought ...good to be fixed....and the TIFF bug  :D 

well that color thing is also equally important as you also can´t get selections of saturation like get saturation range > adjust luminosity opposite is possible though) and blend if would be just such a beautiful place for this color selection in a whole 

and you miss these easy things like the powerful HSL of LR or camera RAW 

definitely recognize that macro work is a hard thing and is a little bit left behind currently

this is part of my list for macros:

1. Vignette (Jakerlund)
  2. RGB Channel Split non destructive 
  3. D&B with HSL
  4. Inverted highpass (with stop, adjust point)
  5. Black and white adjustment set
  6. Paint effect 
  7. Pencil effect
  8. Technicolor emulation 
  9. Blur effect (destructive filters and masks)
  10. LAB landscape preset 
  11. Paint highlights with LAB
  12. Toggle two layer visibility 
  13. Merge, Cmd a, top visible 
  14. Non destructive inpainting quick setup
  15. quick Infer LUT command for color grading with solid color adjustment layers

• Staff

The log above is the full public list of changes from beta 1 to beta 3, there was no external beta 2, so no need for a public list.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Andy & Patrick,

When using the Tone Mapping Persona, the resultant image has alot of noise in it.  I have tried with about 4 different images of type JPEG and CR2.   Could you please add the de-noise module/filter in the Tone Mapping Persona so we can denoise the image in this persona as well?

Kind Regards,

Nana

It seems that nobody asked this question before so what happened to Beta 2?

Ups, that was answered a couple of posts above. Sorry about that.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Beta 3 is not showing up as an extension in Apple Photos or as an "edit in" in LR. Am I missing a trick here?

Thanks

Colin

Update - suddenly the extension is showing in Apple Photos but when activated it says that AP Beta 3 cannot be launched. No change re LR.

Should say I am running on Mac Sierra.

when I first started looking at Affinity Photo, I noticed that there was a drop down menu for Camera Profiles. My thoughts were great. That is very useful. Unfortunately, I discovered that there are no camera profiles available. With this latest beta release, that has not changed. I have to wonder why that option was visible and if there are plans to add camera profiles in this future release.

For some reason it didn't save the attachment but the error message said: 

Failed to save doc. Apple Photos doc

Save failed because the file was already open in another application.

Oddly it seems that all the changes were brought over to Apple Photos but I can't see the changes when I open it in Affinity.

have experienced a lot of fun and two keyboard issues with current beta:

Q key crashes the app when any file is open.

J key (switching from other tools to healing tools): selected tool is not the last one but next one. That force me to cycle trought tools and that sucks. Example to be more clear: My current tool is View tool. If Inpaint brash icon is on tool bar and J key is pressed, blemish removal tool is selected.I need to keep pressing J to cycle to actualy get Inpainting brush. Any shortcut should select last used tool when switching from another tool and cycle trought tools when active.

• Staff

Hi lexislav,

I'm not getting a crash here when i press Q (Quick Mask) but there's something wrong with it. It's extending beyond the document area. I've logged this issue to be looked at.

Regarding the J key, it's working as designed. It always worked like this if i'm not wrong. I would call it an improvement request rather than a bug but i'm passing this to the developers for consideration.

Thanks

Regarding the J key, it's working as designed. It always worked like this if i'm not wrong. I would call it an improvement request rather than a bug but i'm passing this to the developers for consideration.

Thanks

Well, but other keys for tools are not working this way. Rectangular Marquee tool was last I have used. Now, switching back from Eraser tool via M key, the Rectangular Marquee tool is selected, not elliptical marquee tool. So, if not bug, this J key behaviour is not consistent with the rest of UI and those differences make affinity harder to use. So I will stick with the bug version ;-)

• Staff

Hi lexilav,

I should have been more clear/detailed. What i meant is when you switch from one tool to another contained in a "group" using the corresponding shortcut key, the first tool of that group is always selected no matter if other tool from the same group was being displayed in the button. So if you currently are in the View Tool, have the Inpainting Brush Tool visible and press J, Affinity will default to the first tool of that group which is the Healing Brush Tool.

In the case of the Rectangular Marquee tool it works because it happens to be the first tool of that group. If you change to Row Marquee Tool (leave it visible), then select another tool - for example the Clone Brush Tool - and press M to return to marquee selection tools, it picks the Rectangle again, because it's the first of that group.

As far as i know it always worked like this. The suggestion i passed to the developers for consideration was to switch to the "visible" tool of the group instead of default to the first one. Am i missing something?

Meb, You are correct – all the shortcuts works as You have described. How could I missed that? Anyway, I would preffer to get to the last used (visible) tool rather than the first in the group. But will see what developers think about it.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.