You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is a work in Progress. I not sure where I want to go with this or if I want to move further with it. The idea was to have him flight through a cloud. I kind of want it to be some what abstract.

Thought any  comments or ideas are  welcome.

Ironman.jpg

Great T-shirt fodder! What about inserting a random starfield, in the background. But this turns out not to be stars, but his logo. You will only see this when you zoom in. :ph34r: Art lovers love a mystery!

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Nice start.

Well since you asked for comments...

Ditch the cloud idea. It's been done to infinity and beyond with flying comic characters. Make the BG colors a gradient, bit more contrast with the white areas (that could be the cloud, if you're married to that idea) and have the red be shades of blue. That way the yellow and gold of the Armored Avenger (his "true" colors, the white and red of the late '80's-'90's an experiment gone horrible askew) will pop.Now if you're able to do something with the clouds to contrast with ol' Shell Head, then goforit. :D

That being said, I really like this the way it is now. It's stark (Ha!) and very sleek and modernist. I would work out the hand a bit more as it could use a bit more refining. Adding lines for the individual fingers. The head is a bit off. If he's flying, then the neck shouldn't be thrown back so much. Whiplash, much. To my eyes, there's real anatomical fuzziness around the clavicle/shoulder/neck area. Keep in mind there's a human inside that hunk of metal. Visit the usual suspects (Loomis, Bridgman and Hogarth) for some examples. 

As it stands, I really like the combination of thick to thin lines, the dead-weight lines (The helmet and hip-gizmo) and how well they work with the solid areas of white spotted throughout the figure.

Keep working on it and it will be a knockout, I'm sure!

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Thanks Mike!  Yup I asked. This was just a quick doodle and always feel free to comment No chip on the shoulder here so if it sucks or if something off or wrong please by all means...give your opinion.

I am going to stick with the cloud thing. I really want kind of push myself to figure out different ways to illustrate clouds. and though the concept overplayed in comics It still concept that familiar and I think if executed in a interesting way it won't matter. I tried blue but I felt about the same about the blue gradient as you did about the clouds. I am kind of caught between trying to be a bit abstract about the image but i'm struggling for some reason with the fact that he so detailed and something about him just not lending itself to my idea. That ever happen to you? Ill try to work on his proportions and neck issues kinda the first time I attempting to draw him and I was trying just to fill in stuff I thought would be useful without putting in all the detail.

Thanks for you all your quality input....I'' be coming back to this later. right now got to many projects going at once so the fun me stuff always gets put on the back seat. sigh...

Oh yeah, the "I'm fired up about this" becoming "what a struggle" syndrome. Usually, for me, this is a signal that something's not right in the piece or my approach to it. You'll figure it out. Let it go cold (i.e. don't work on it for a day or so) and then look at it with fresher eyes. Works for me.

As far as the clouds go, You have a plan, go for it. don't listen to the peanut gallery (me). I think you got the chops to pull it off in a spectacular way. If not, it's better to have tried to reach for the stars and fail, rather than not have tried at all. :)

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Yay, you are right...I am stepping back.

"it's better to have tried to reach for the stars and fail, rather than not have tried at all."

I hear that!

I like the dynamic style of it. Knowing what Mike means about the clouds but I am sure you will come up with sth fresh.

Maybe just some very geometric faded/gradient clouds in the lower third? Style reminds me of the Tron concept art (in a good way).

Looking forward to see the final result.

Fading out from the waist down reminded me of a supersonic shock wave - would be cool if iron man was travelling faster than sound but it's not something so easy to depict with clean vectors, but clean vectors would keep the artwork very strong IMO.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_050330-N-0382O-503_An_F-14B_Tomcat_breaks_the_sound_barrier_during_the_supersonic_fly-by_portion_of_an_air_power_demonstration.jpg

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Fading out from the waist down reminded me of a supersonic shock wave - would be cool if iron man was travelling faster than sound but it's not something so easy to depict with clean vectors, but clean vectors would keep the artwork very strong IMO.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_050330-N-0382O-503_An_F-14B_Tomcat_breaks_the_sound_barrier_during_the_supersonic_fly-by_portion_of_an_air_power_demonstration.jpg

Dale you hit where I was trying to go with the clouds. Supersonic shockwave  is exactly where I was going and I glad you notices that but what I have here is not fully understood  and the reason being is that I am trying to do it from some faint image I have in my head where I should be using some sort of reference. Thank you for providing a link because had you not, I would not have even thought of why my execution was so uniformed.

Keep the perspectives coming guys! This is helpful! When I get back to this image i refer to this thread for inspiration and guidance. You all are contributing to this fun little exercise. It is gonna be a litte bit before I get back to this. I am currently in a middle of a big project.... You know how that goes.

Thanks again for all your comments, ideas, and insight!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add my view, as I've come to this with new eyes, I really like the cloud, it immediately made me shiver as I felt the cold of that mist. The art appeals to me.

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

How about a version as "Lead" man. You know that "other" metal... It's been down on it's luck a bit lately...

Leadman is different though, he's far too heavy to fly anywhere and all that lead has made his decision making a little suspect... so he broods around in his lead suit starting projects or causes that he never seems to finish, his great power is one of crowd dispersion, he is often called upon for protests or to break up scuffles... people know not to get too close to Leadman - his is a lonely solitary existence... his only friend is Radioactiveman... I digress...  ;)

Sunset: Thank you. I need  to come back and finish this one but I glad it it appeals to you just a little bit :)  I have about 3 drawings i need to revist. I working on a big project right now so all the litte fun stuff kind of taking a back seat.

How about a version as "Lead" man. You know that "other" metal... It's been down on it's luck a bit lately...

Leadman is different though, he's far too heavy to fly anywhere and all that lead has made his decision making a little suspect... so he broods around in his lead suit starting projects or causes that he never seems to finish, his great power is one of crowd dispersion, he is often called upon for protests or to break up scuffles... people know not to get too close to Leadman - his is a lonely solitary existence... his only friend is Radioactiveman... I digress...  ;)

I literally Laughed out Loud over this one hahahaha. Love the concept.

Hi Retrograde, it seems to me that these characters are familiar. Using the periodic table to create characters with unusual powers, for unusual situations...

This is Lead, standing at the stairs, as the hired muscle.

and this is the program... Sapphire & Steel (Yes, I know about the elements/compound, thing. Unless of course, oxidization was a form of upgrade/evolution...?)

Steel's drastic measures to save Sapphire and trap the pool of light prove effective, if extremely dangerous. Sapphire places the pool of light in a freezer to keep it from escaping again and tends to Steel's recovery. She also enlists Rob and Helen's help in removing all the objects in the house that could become hiding places for other pools of light. Sapphire and Steel welcome the arrival of fellow agent Lead, a gentle giant with a huge personality to match his huge stature.

Sapphire & Steel was a Sunday evening ITV programme, that was the thinking man's Dr Who. Whenever the fabric of time was torn ghosts would appear and people would disappear and these agents would appear and fix the situation together some times asking for help from fellow agents. Not quite human, not quite alien, quietly disturbing and very cerebal.

I saw the series 30 years ago and this has stayed with me ever since. I know own the DVDs. This was never rebroadcast...ever. Go to WWW.imdb.com for more info.

post-705-0-06476100-1416776718_thumb.png

post-705-0-14537500-1416776909_thumb.jpeg

post-705-0-75733900-1416777280_thumb.jpg

post-705-0-28944000-1416777309_thumb.jpg

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

Yay, you are right...I am stepping back.

"it's better to have tried to reach for the stars and fail, rather than not have tried at all."

I hear that!

Richard Branson - Virgin Galactic.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah, the "I'm fired up about this" becoming "what a struggle" syndrome. Usually, for me, this is a signal that something's not right in the piece or my approach to it. You'll figure it out. Let it go cold (i.e. don't work on it for a day or so) and then look at it with fresher eyes. Works for me.

I'm there now :(

I'm there now :(

Welcome  to the struggle. i'll get back to this I just have so many other projects I am working on and a big one I am  looking forward to sharing with you guys soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hoaf8z_B4I

That is fantastic. Is there a way to stop the pixelation on the thinner lines? I'm having issues with that too.

I hope so. I have been working through a few different projects using only the MAS version of Affinity Designer so I was hoping by the time I check out the new beta the pixelation on the export of thin lines would be resolved. Have you brought this up to the Affinity design team in the bug area of this forum yet?

• Staff

I think the only real way to do away with antialiasing on small lines is to do a super-sampling trick at export - we used to do this automatically as an option in the old DrawPlus and it worked very well. Perhaps we'll need to look into this. Another option is allowing you to define your own antialiasing ramp so that pixel edges which you view as too harsh can be adjusted?

I think the only real way to do away with antialiasing on small lines is to do a super-sampling trick at export - we used to do this automatically as an option in the old DrawPlus and it worked very well. Perhaps we'll need to look into this. Another option is allowing you to define your own antialiasing ramp so that pixel edges which you view as too harsh can be adjusted?

Mmmm, both solutions sound good to me. Is either one easier than the other from a programming point of view? Honestly, I think when it comes down two most people just want it to "look" right but I understand looking right is subjective. More control sound good especially when it can result in some sort of extension of creative expression and creatives/artist just love that. Who knows, a little bit more control can sometimes turn into creative experimentation that could yield interesting results.