You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add option to show guides beyond the canvas area

• Staff

Hi Braceyourself,

As far as I'm aware margins have never been visible outside the document as the very nature of a margin is to show you a printable area within a document.

Are you referring to guides? These are also restricted to being visible within the document. I imagine if you have seen this happen, it was due to a bug that is now fixed but I can't see any reference to that, either.

• Staff

Hi Braceyourself,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you are referring to objects placed outside the canvas (non-artboard documents) go to menu View ▸ View Mode and uncheck Clip to Canvas.

Previously guides where visible outside the canvas for regular documents. With the introduction of Artboards this changed and now guides are only visible inside the canvas area.

Hi MEB, thanks, but there's no such option on here.

I'm not sure if I am explaining correctly so basically I want my guides (the blue lines) to meet the ruler at all times, not just when I'm dragging them.

The second attachment shows the guide touching the ruler as I drag one across the document. That's how I want it to be at all times, not just when dragging.

The third attachment shows my guides contained inside the document. This is what happens once I stop dragging a guide. This is what's bugging me.

post-4116-0-80252200-1471640401_thumb.png

post-4116-0-79438400-1471640431_thumb.png

post-4116-0-19994300-1471640451_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Braceyourself,

Clip to Canvas isn't available in Affinity Photo and it does not have Artboards. I think it was assumed you were in Designer.

I'm not sure why has been taken out. I can't recall when they were visible however I'm going to check this out with development. It would be nice to have a setting in Preferences that allows the user to change how the guides are displayed. 

I think that "margin" cannot be outside of the document. By definition it is document area.

Area outside can be bleed. I think AP has no need for it as it is image manipulation app, not a layout/design app for print. 

Would still be invaluable to be able to view slug and bleed in Designer - hopefully this will be available in Publisher?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 1 month later...

I think that "margin" cannot be outside of the document. By definition it is document area.

Area outside can be bleed. I think AP has no need for it as it is image manipulation app, not a layout/design app for print.

I'm in web design and development not print. Photoshop is our go to and Affinity Photo is the Photoshop killer so one would only assume the guides go outside the document as in Photoshop.

Check out my screenshot, it's impossible to see the pixels that the guides line up with.

Furthermore, when using certain colours it's equally as hard to determine what is a guide and what is an object when using thin borders and straight lines. For all you could know I've put a thin border on the red columns.

post-4116-0-13352700-1476416686_thumb.png

• 5 months later...