You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is the difference between groups and layers with children?

I've multiple layers and groups in my project and one thing occurs to me.

Some of my elements (things in the tree) are groups and some are layers even if they have children.

When I add layers inside another layer, doesn't this make the layer a group?

What is the difference?

Why can't I ungroup layergroups?

How can I even create empty groups?

Why can't i give a group a color?

I can for example put an text element inside an image. Why is this possible?

When I add layers inside another layer, doesn't this make the layer a group?

No, that makes it a sub-layer.

What is the difference?

In vector applications, a group is usually a set of objects that are all selected at once when one of its objects are clicked. I could create a human figure of different objects: head, arms, legs, and body. If I group them, then when I click just the head, everything will be selected. If I ungroup them, each will be selected individually.

Whereas with sub-layers, it is more of a way to organize your layers without having to group them. It is also convenient to click on a sub-layer to select everything in it, while you can still edit individual sections on the drawing itself. Sub-layers are good for quick selecting.

Why can't I ungroup layergroups?

How can I even create empty groups?

As long as their groups and not sub-layers, right click to ungroup them, or just click and drag the objects out in the Layers panel. Hold shift to select multiple objects.

Why can't i give a group a color?

What is it you are doing exactly?

I can for example put an text element inside an image. Why is this possible?

That last button on the top of the interface is for pasting objects inside a shape. Also, if you accidentally copied and pasted "inside," that will happen. This is beneficial for comic panels. When this is done, it will automatically create a group, so just click and drag the objects out through the Layers panel if you don't want them.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

The color property in the Layers panel is just a (weak) visual aid to optionally help you tell the layers apart. It has no effect on the contents of the layer in the workspace. I don't know why it isn't available for groups, but in my opinion it isn't of much use for layers so I almost never use it.

As far as I know, you can't create an empty group, but you can move everything out of an existing one, leaving it empty.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

What R C-R said is the case for this. The layer properties only affect the underline of each layer, not its content.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

No problem. I guess if working wth sublayers under sublayers under sublayers, it's just a way for a main layer to stand out.