Soul

Importing .tif files to Affinity Photo

Hi All,

I'm new to astrophotography and to Affinity Photo. I'm currently using the 10day trial but so far have been impressed by the software.

I am experimenting with stacking multiple photos. I am using the Starry Landscape Stacker which seems to only use .tif files. I need to convert my RAW exposures to .tif before I can upload them to the program. The output file is also .tif. The output image is beautifully stacked - the stars are pinpoint and any noise largely reduced.

My problem is this:

I would like to upload the output image to Affinity Photo, but when I open it the image appears scrambled and off colour, a complete mess really. When I open it in Photoshop, it is as I expect it and also when i open it in Quick View on Finder.

The problem seems to be with Affinity Photo? As I am new to this type of photography and to Affinity Photo I would like to check if there is something I am doing incorrectly. I explored trying to save the final image in Starry Landscape Stacker in a different format, but it seems that it only saves it as a .tif.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Or is there another free stacking app I could use?

I attach screenshots of what the same image comes out in Photoshop and in Affinity Photo.

Thanks Very Much

Soul

post-35540-0-93942600-1471548361_thumb.png

post-35540-0-20749700-1471548365_thumb.png

Welcome to the forum Soul :)

MJSfoto1956 is correct. If you could provide the original files we can look into this further :)

Thanks for the file Soul :)

Trying to open the image using both RAW engines in Affinity Photo just isn't working correctly. I will get this logged with our developers. Thanks for letting us know!

When I have any information about this I will reply to this thread.

To me, It seems to be a problem of the .tif file being imported into AP coming straight  from starry landscape stacker.

If you open the composite.tif file in another application after the stacking process in starry landscape stacker  (e.g. i opened it again in Deep Sky Stacker but didn't stack it) and just save/export as .tif again before importing it into AP, AP opens it just fine on my mac. I am confident it would work with any other photo program (e.g. Lightroom) that can save/export the .tif again.

Having said that, this only a workaround...

kind regards, Martin

The problem appears to be due to some of the TIFF Tags, specifically Make and Model. If you remove one or both these with a tool such as exiftool, you can then open the file in Affinity Photo. Otherwise, Affinity thinks it's a RAW file and tries to open it in Develop Persona.

Kind regards,

Robert

The problem appears to be due to some of the TIFF Tags, specifically Make and Model. If you remove one or both these with a tool such as exiftool, you can then open the file in Affinity Photo. Otherwise, Affinity thinks it's a RAW file and tries to open it in Develop Persona.

Kind regards,

Robert

Is it possible to provide me with a sample image?