You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I only seem to be able to pull a guide while I am using the move tool. Shouldn't you be able to do that no matter what tool you are using?

+1

Pulling out guides should be one of those "tool-agnostic" operations. If I'm working on an drawing, using the pen tool, I may want to pull out some guides quickly. Currently I have to switch to the move tool and then pull out the guide and switch back to the pen. A bit disruptive in that it interrupts the workflow. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

…also it would be nice if the position of the cursor was shown in the ruler as a small dotted line.

It's usually all you need when working with curves - dragging a guide onto the page can be OTT and cause a lot of clutter.

Another small feature that miss. 

GUIDES LAYER would be another  welcome addition.

• 2 years later...

Thanks 10on12, I didn't know or didn't remember the opt click on the ruler to place a guide.  This will be really handy in certain cases.  But my biggest problem with guides is deleting them.  If a guide is drug and dropped behind a ruler it should be deleted.  But as long as the ruler is inside the canvas the guide is just moved, not deleted.

FYI on my Mac the position of the cursor is shown by a solid line on the ruler.  As shown below:

post-2932-0-87387600-1497906966_thumb.jpg

I agree with the need to be able to change the origin.  Also can any one in 30 seconds or less tell me in the attached image what position my cursor is at?

I'm sure you all got it at a quick glance.  Of course it's at 2 inches and 77/128's.  Seeing as the scale is in decimals 2.5 and 2.75 wouldn't you figure that the ticks would be decimal ticks, 1/10th or 1/100th of an inch.  But no they are 1/128th of an inch at this zoom.  A slight change in zoom and each tick is 1/64th of an inch or 1/256th of an inch depending...  And I blew the image up, on my 27" screen each tick is actually 0.04" apart.  Easy peasy to count out the ticks at that resolution.  it's at 13/128ths of an inch more than 2.5" which is 2.6015625" (easily calculated in the head) not the 2.5889754" I actually wanted.

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Thanks 10on12, I didn't know or didn't remember the opt click on the ruler to place a guide.  This will be really handy in certain cases.  But my biggest problem with guides is deleting them

Can't you go View > Guides Manager and delete them from there ?

Click on the offending guide and hit the trash icon.

This is AP on a PC but Serif seem pretty consistent. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Why not go View > Guides Manager and delete them from there ?

Click on the offending guide and hit the trash icon.

Toltec, Yes that's the way I have to do it but it should be one click and a drag.  Using the Guides Manager it's 4 clicks (about 11 seconds) and in version 1.6 that doesn't even work unless you play with the manager (even more clicks/seconds).  See: 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/40257-ad-trash-icon-in-guides-manager-grayed-out/

I could also zoom out to show the full canvas then drag the guide behind the ruler then zoom back where I was, which is probably only 4 clicks/key presses also (but maybe more time required to get the zoom back where it was).  But it should be just a click drag (less than 2 seconds).

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Actually, in AP 1.52 you can simply drag the guides off over the left ruler to delete them.

That works but there is a problem with the implementation: as the dragged guide gets near the ruler, the view begins to auto-scroll, panning the view rightwards or downwards. It continues to scroll until you release the mouse button, so you have to be quick or everything will scroll out of view.

It is very annoying!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7