You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi kenny518,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Which Affinity app are you referring to Designer or Photo?

Make sure the layer you have selected is a (Pixel) layer type. You can check this looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel.

If it's identified as an (Image) layer type you must rasterise it first right-clicking on it in the Layers panel and selecting Rasterise...

Only (Pixel) layer types can be manipulated/transformed at a pixel level.

I'm not sure this is the cause of the "tone/beep". Do you have any  third party menu utilities running that may be interfering with the shortcuts? Clipboard managers, text expanders etc?

Let me know if you still have trouble.

The tone is likely the Mac's warning beep that (among other things) you hear when you type an invalid keyboard command. That suggests that you may have accidentally removed the CMD J duplicate keyboard shortcut from Affinity's Keyboard Shortcuts preferences. For Affinity Photo, that will be in the Photo Persona > Layer section, near the bottom of the list. For Designer, it will be in the Draw Persona > Edit section, about ½ way down the list.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

With CMD J not reserved for system level things like changing languages, it should work in Affinity. If it does not, check the preferences I mentioned. If there is nothing in the box on the right next to Duplicate, select the box & type CMD J to add it as the keyboard shortcut for that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...

I know it's an old entry, but I'll try it anyway.

I also have the problem that I only get an error tone when I try to duplicate something with Command+J. In the settings "Control+Option+Command+D" is registered, if I change the command to "Command+j" it is reset automatically.

Any idea?

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 on Mac 10.14.2

1 hour ago, Lexis said:

In the settings "Control+Option+Command+D" is registered, if I change the command to "Command+j" it is reset automatically.

Do you mean it is reset to Control+Option+Command+D or to Command+j?

Can you provide a screenshot of the Keyboard Shortcuts preference panel showing the current or reset shortcut?

Affinity Photo