You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preserve line and fill properties of layers

Hi,

Sorry - a basic question. I want to select (switch between) layers and draw without having to reset line and fill properties each time. Is this possible?

An example workflow is:

1. Set up a layer to draw lines with a set of properties

2. Set up another layer with, say, a filled object defined by a set of properties that may include a transparency value for the fill.

3. Draw lines, but from time to time find that I want to add filled objects before switching back to line drawing. Each time I switch layers I have to re-enter the properties for the first of the additional objects added to a particular layer. For example, have drawn lines, clicked on the layer containing filled objects with the intention of drawing an additional filled shape (based on the original properties set for that layer), only to find that it defaults to the line properties (different colour, line thickness and no fill) when I start drawing in that layer.

This workflow is in the context of mapping (geology) and the annotation workflow is not necessarily linear i.e. I can't just draw lines until the layer is complete, then switch to filled polygons: it's very much an interactive process. While much of this mapping is done in a GIS system, I do need AD to produce high quality graphics for reporting, presentations and other purposes.

I haven't had any luck searching in the forums or help files, but that's maybe because I'm not using the correct search terms.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hi Brett,

so you want to have two different sets of properties available for the same tool on changing layers? Well, what about using object styles then? You could assign any default set of properties to the pen tool, for instance, create two object styles, and after having drawn your objects, you could simply apply the desired object style from the Styles panel. Wouldn’t that work?

Alex  :)