You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector 'Filters' and 'effects'

A feature that still gives Illustrator a slight edge over AF is the vector 'filters' and 'effects' - things that change the appearance of the vector paths [ which can then be 'expanded' into curves if need be.]

post-33006-0-26159300-1471452227_thumb.jpgpost-33006-0-82898600-1471452237_thumb.jpg

For instance there is a simple 'roughen' effect [or filter] that can be applied to the vector shapes in illustrator

post-33006-0-60080400-1471452194_thumb.jpgpost-33006-0-26530400-1471452216_thumb.jpg

Another example is the powerful feature of the 'transform' effect. see image

post-33006-0-63349800-1471452510_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts?

• 10 months later...

Any thoughts?

The lack of those vector effect features is the main reason why I still end up doing all work in Illustrator (CS5, for the record), usually after wasting hours of my time attempting to figure out how to achieve this in AD. :/

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I would love colour effects filters that would render vector output, not convert to pixel art. That way you could adjust colour in your art globally and for example curves filter would apply it effects to actual colour values within vector shapes. Probably they could be the current filter that would have extra command in layer rmb menu after "Rasterize" – "Render to vector shapes".

Well, what I'm eagerly awaiting is the inclusion of some sort of coding/scripting in Affinity Designer (and Photo).
When that happens, if well implemented, a whole lot of new "plugins" will be possible. And Serif doesn't even needs to worry about it, as they can be produced by third party companies or even single users.

• 3 weeks later...

This is something I've been asking for for years!  It's really hard to illustrate certain things without needing a rough, random-looking line.  MattP has said that he intends to add "a roughen tool that can be rubbed over an area to roughen it (and likewise a smoothing tool to do the opposite)" and I can't wait.  I've had to put a lot of my work on hold as there aren't yet many applications that can do this, and bringing a file over from Inkscape is really time-consuming and frustrating.

22 hours ago, Peregrin said:

Peregrin,

Technically it is something you have been requesting for less than a year as you requested it on August 4th of 2016 and it is only July 23rd 2017 so you couldn't have been asking for it for years but saying "I've been asking for it for almost a year" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.xD Just joking with you!

I do agree with your request though and I'd love to see it added to Designer as it would be a useful addition for me too!

Best regards,

Hokusai