You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 10)

Hi All, might be a known issue as it's to do with Constraints.

When I apply a constraint the artwork inside appears to be cropped to the bounding volume of the newly converted 'Constraints Group'. See image.

@Malcolm,

I think the cropping is to due with the perceived boundary of the group but I would need one of the devs to confirm whether this is true and whether it is 'by design' or a bug.

Might I recommend a solution or two though?

You could set the stroke of the Table layer to Align Stroke to Inside and this should resolve the issue.

However, if you're using constraints, you will get much more consistent results if you define areas using rectangles with no fill or stroke and nesting content, rather than using groups or layers. This allows you to be in full control of the boundary to which the constraints are working.

So in your example, draw a rectangle the size of the area you originally wanted to cover with your Guide group and then move the four layers inside the rectangle. The constraints you have applied to the contents will now use the fixed dimensions of the rectangle for its calculations.

I'm aware I haven't addressed the problem which you are seeing, but hope the information above is helpful for the current situation.

Thanks.

@Malcolm,

I think the cropping is to due with the perceived boundary of the group but I would need one of the devs to confirm whether this is true and whether it is 'by design' or a bug.

Might I recommend a solution or two though?

You could set the stroke of the Table layer to Align Stroke to Inside and this should resolve the issue.

However, if you're using constraints, you will get much more consistent results if you define areas using rectangles with no fill or stroke and nesting content, rather than using groups or layers. This allows you to be in full control of the boundary to which the constraints are working.

So in your example, draw a rectangle the size of the area you originally wanted to cover with your Guide group and then move the four layers inside the rectangle. The constraints you have applied to the contents will now use the fixed dimensions of the rectangle for its calculations.

I'm aware I haven't addressed the problem which you are seeing, but hope the information above is helpful for the current situation.

Thanks.

Thanks nravenlock - yep a few ways to skin this particular cat :)

Seemed like a bug to me though as it's a hidden and unexpected result of applying a constraint. Difficult to explain the hoop jumping to all users / bad UX to apply work arounds. New feature though so these issues are there to be found and I'm on the hunt!

Cheers.

I was wondering, is the splash image used in 1.5 beta a final one? I personally liked the 1.4 more  B) :unsure:

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

+ Snapping to guides ain’t working. 

+ Any way to enable snapping when dragging a symbol for the first time? Same thing for dragging a guide - Have to drop and and drag a guide again to activate snapping to objects.

+ When making a color chord don’t duplicate original color. Also if it’s a global color keep the new colors as such.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Not sure if this is a bug or what but when I have two or more files open and cycle between them using the tabs, the documents shift. I can have them both fitting in the window (command-0) and after a couple or three clicks on their respective tabs to bring each to the front they slowly move off to the left eventually out of frame... what the...

• Staff

Not sure if this is a bug or what but when I have two or more files open and cycle between them using the tabs, the documents shift. I can have them both fitting in the window (command-0) and after a couple or three clicks on their respective tabs to bring each to the front they slowly move off to the left eventually out of frame... what the...

We've seen this one before - hopefully the next build (due later today/maybe tomorrow) will sort this out, sorry... :(

I'm sure someone must have said something about this before, but sync disconnects an entire child object rather than the changed property of that object. I think you guys are missing a trick here.

If I have a button and decide to change the font on all button symbols, if I have changed the text on one instance, this attribute will not be changed. Is it possible now or in future to have symbol overrides apply to individual attributes?

Perhaps with a split part of the symbol pane showing the status of the currently selected instance and which attributes are overridden on it?

A brucey bonus would be the ability to sync an override to all instances ;)

• Staff

Symbols only disconnect the attributes that you change - not all attributes! :) You can test this easily with a rectangle, create a symbol from it, pop a few instances down and then turn off sync - change the fill colour, then turn sync back on and change the stroke weight and it should apply to all of them as that attribute hasn't been disconnected. I think the problem you're noticing is that the 'grain' is too large for text... Turning off syncing and then changing the text will also disconnect the text's colour and font attributes... We can improve this in the future.

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5 Beta 10 Here

• Fix for boolean geometry operations failing on many trivial cases

Hey Matt, just wondering what the Boolean fix was you we're referring to... seems to be still be giving me some grief in the latest beta.

Seems like a hard nut to crack huh?

Symbols only disconnect the attributes that you change - not all attributes! :) You can test this easily with a rectangle, create a symbol from it, pop a few instances down and then turn off sync - change the fill colour, then turn sync back on and change the stroke weight and it should apply to all of them as that attribute hasn't been disconnected. I think the problem you're noticing is that the 'grain' is too large for text... Turning off syncing and then changing the text will also disconnect the text's colour and font attributes... We can improve this in the future.

What a coincidence :D  I was just searching this topic, because of that text issue on symbols. Is there a chance you will improve this until the official release?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.