You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi.  Need help.  Cannot open RAW file of photos taken by Fujifilm XE2.

Hardware I am using iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz OSX 10.8.5

Affinity 1.4.2 Latest installed. 

Every time used the app to open a RAW file, Error window will come up with details said sending to Affinity.  Any clue.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi vtsoi,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Are you using the latest firmware update (4.0)?

If so, this is a known issue that's already logged.

Currently Affinity Photo Serif Labs RAW engine isn't able to open those files. You can however change the RAW engine used to Apple (Core Image RAW) which is able to open them.

To do this open a any file, change to Develop Persona, go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... and change the RAW Engine (first dropdown) to Apple (Core Image RAW). You have to reload the image for the new settings take effect.

Hi Meb

Thanks for help.  Just able to try the way you suggested, still not working for me :(

First of all my camera is up to date to version 4.0.  Not sure if you meaning the issue is just logged not solved ?  Please clarify

Anyhow I did the steps to  View ▸ Assistant Manager... and change the RAW Engine (first dropdown) to Apple (Core Image RAW).  Tried to open a RAF file.  Instead of quiting the apps as before, I got a "black" blank image.  The apps quit once I click on it.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.  Thanks

• Staff

Hi vtsoi,

I meant it was just logged, not fixed yet.

Regarding the suggested change to Apple (Core Image RAW), you are right. I'm sorry. Apparently they were opening correctly in version 1.4.1 but now it only displays a 0x0 pixel blank image (v1.4.2).

Version 1.5 Beta isn't able to open them either no matter the RAW engine used. I'm updating the log to reflect this.

Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks Meb

Hope your team will fix the issue soon.

I actually just start using Affinity but quite disappointed of not able to use that.  I am a amateur and would like to give a try at photo editing.  I picked Affinity but not the "other" popular one. 

Good luck for you and myself

Support for Fuji RAF files..?

With the upcoming Fuji X-T2, support for Fuji RAF files becomes even more relevant...!

PLEASE...! Make RAF files compatible with Affinity Photo.... Perhaps Irridient RAW converter could become an alternative Engine? It's one of the best Raw converters for RAF files....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Affinity, I know you guys are working on that and I am sure this message won't help to accelerate this process.  I am sure many of Fuji people out there want to use Affinity but probably went away because of the issue.  It is already end of the year.  Really, should I wait or shift ?  Of course is my choice.  Just sorry for spending my time watch a lot of tutorial and found out it is not working.......  BTW Merry X'mas and Happy new year.

Hi Affinity, I know you guys are working on that and I am sure this message won't help to accelerate this process.  I am sure many of Fuji people out there want to use Affinity but probably went away because of the issue.  It is already end of the year.  Really, should I wait or shift ?  Of course is my choice.  Just sorry for spending my time watch a lot of tutorial and found out it is not working.......  BTW Merry X'mas and Happy new year.

When I download RAF files created with Fuji X-T2, the latest AP beta open these files without any problems at all.

Since I do not have a Fuji X-T2 myself, I downloaded the RAW files from here . I found the link here

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

I have the Fuji X-T2.  Using the Beta of 1.5.0 (RC4), I am able to open both the lossless compressed RAF and the uncompressed RAF.  Trying to open the same RAFs in version 1.4.3 causes the program to crash and shut down immediately.  I also have the X-M1 and X-T1. Version 1.4 has been working fine with their RAFs for quite a while.

May I know where to find the beta version so I can try out?

Look in the Affinity Beta Support section of the forum. In general, a link to the most current beta of each Affinity product is in the first post of the first 'pinned' topic for whichever one you want to try out. Be sure to read the info in the post with the link.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi vtsoi,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Are you using the latest firmware update (4.0)?

If so, this is a known issue that's already logged.

Currently Affinity Photo Serif Labs RAW engine isn't able to open those files. You can however change the RAW engine used to Apple (Core Image RAW) which is able to open them.

To do this open a any file, change to Develop Persona, go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... and change the RAW Engine (first dropdown) to Apple (Core Image RAW). You have to reload the image for the new settings take effect.

Hi Meb,  Feeling so excited to see the update of Affinity Photo 1.5 update today.  Put aside everything and update and try to open a Fuji RAF file by my XE-2. 

Disappointed again that it didn't opened and the apps quit with error message as before.  

I tried downloaded the RAF from the web as edwardsson suggested.  Still not opened with the same result.

May I know if my iOS is too old - Mountain Lion ? 

Please help.

• 1 year later...

I have just found this thread by a search. In my case I have been trying to open a RAF file. From a Fuji camera in the iPad version of Affinity Photo - without success. I have a JPEG of the same image, and further, I can see the image from the RAF file when I open Mail - since I used Mail to transfer the files onto the iPad Pro. I have other cameras which do RAW - which I will now check - a Canon and a Panasonic. It’s a shame about the Fuji Files not working, though. Is there ever going to be progress on this? I keep recommending Affinity Photo to others, but some might get fed up with me soon if I have to admit that there are some significant problem areas. 

PLEASE DELETE THIS VERSION OF THIS POST - WHICH DOES NOT HAVE NOTIFICATION OF REPLIES.

I have just found this quite old thread by a search. In my case I have been trying to open a RAF file from a Fuji camera in the iPad version of Affinity Photo - without success. I have a JPEG of the same image, and further I can see the image from the RAF file when I open Mail - since I used Mail to transfer the files onto the iPad Pro. I have other cameras which do RAW - which I will now check - a Canon and a Panasonic. It’s a shame about the Fuji Files not working, though. Is there ever going to be progress on this? I keep recommending Affinity Photo to others, but some might get fed up with me soon if I have to admit that there are some significant problem areas. 

I though my iMac was too old for AF PHOTOs.  Then I see tryon iPad version and feel exicted cause I got the new iPad Pro.  I bought the apps staight away and try...... another dollars gone

Yes Dave.  I am giving up I don’t even have reply from my last post.  What a pity it got good reviews for the apps.  It seem like don’t have enough support for the minority still using the older camera.  I still love my xe2

Hi vtsoi

It's possible that since you want RAW to work you are more at the Pro end or advanced amateur. I'm hardly either of those, but I do like things to work.

I have three cameras which do RAW - a Canon SX1-IS, a Fuji F600 EXR, and a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ100. Sometimes I shoot RAW and sometimes shoot RAW+JPEG, and other times I just stick with JPEG. JPEG can be very good, though sometimes not. When I first opened up a RAW image a few years ago I was really surprised about how good it was - and I was using a fairly old iMac similar to what you describe. I'm not quite sure what processing engine was used on that occasion, it may have been the standard Apple one at the time. RAW is not always good - sometimes the photos just don't merit it. GIMP can be made to work with RAW, and a couple of other RAW packages which run on iMacs are RawTherapee and DarkTable.

I think I can get Affinity Photo to work with RAW from some cameras, but it was just my experimenting with the iPad version a few days ago which concerned me, as I could not get the RAW images from my Fuji to work at all. After a few attempts I did a search to find out if anyone had noticed or resolved this, which is why I'm now here. I don't know if the iPad version will work with RAW files from other cameras yet - I've not had time to check.

I have noticed some other odd anomalies from AP, but overall I still feel these packages are good value. You feel you wasted your money for the app on the iPad Pro, but it's under £20 - and your iPad Pro probably cost at least 25 times that. It's amazing that this kind of software works at all.

If you have a newer iPad Pro with a 12 MP camera you can also try to use RAW with that, though Apple do not provide any way to capture RAW, so you'd need to use a 3rd party capture app. There are some free ones which might work and some not very expensive ones which are reportedly good - such as Obscura.  Then the problems with RAW on the iPad may continue, as it can be difficult or impossible to import/export files from these devices, and arguably the only tool which really works on the iPad is Lightroom - with a catch that you can't export RAW from that unless you pay for Adobe CC - so you have to do all the early work in RAW on the iPad.

I've now explored the photos from my other cameras, both with desktop AP and the iPad version. They work.

What doesn't work is the Fuji RAF format on the iPad version.

Trying to open a Fuji RAF in the desktop version doesn't appear to work either - but I have now found I can do it.

The problem with the desktop version seems to be the interface for opening the RAF file.

I am running with MacOS High Sierra, and if I try to use the drop down menu to open the AP application it stalls - hangs forever.

However if I simply open up AP and select Open from there, and navigate to the file, then I can see it in RAW mode.

Incidentally this is also a problem if I try to use Darktable - but again it works by opening the application first, and then navigating to the file.

Some of the apps work by selecting a file and then dragging over the display for the selected application.

I'm not sure about RawTherapee - as that uses Unix/Linux type navigation.

I found that Adobe Photoshop Elements has no problem opening.

So the problem you and I noticed on the desktop version of AP may actually be an interface problem between the OS and the application.

Try opening the files explicitly within the AP application.

I can't yet really comment on how well the Develop (RAW) mode words in AP - though it seemed OK for the Canon and the Panasonic images. I don't see that there'll ba a problem once you've got the image showing in the Develop persona.

The iPad version remains problematic for Fui RAW though. There may be a way - but I've not found it yet.

I have now seemingly migrated a Fuji RAW - RAF file to my iPad, and "opened" it in AP.

The controls look right, but the image itself is completely black. See the screenshot below.

To be sure that I was getting the file across I sent it via email. I first checked it in Mail on the iPad - clearly visible with the inbuilt - whatever - software.

It was the correct file.

I tried sharing it from mail to AP - but that didn't appear to work. Eventually I figured that if I opened up AP and made sure that it was at the home page - the one which shows a whole bunch of photos - and no particular one is open - with the "+" sign, that I could do it. I then opened up the email again by dragging up from the bottom, and moving the mail item into the RHS as a sidebar to AP. From there I was able to drag the photo over AP - which finally resulted in the display as shown below.

Fiddling with the controls makes no difference - it stays black!

That's as much progress as I've been able to make with Fuji Raw files.

IMG_1009.thumb.PNG.f185ea3a553946c3577b43d6419b6b3c.PNG

Since I do not have a Fuji camera, I downloaded a Fuji RAW file from http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/fujifilm_x_t2_photos/ and then tried to open it from within AF om my iPad. It worked without any problems at all. The file was quite large, more than 50 MB in size.

IMG_0160.PNG

Edited by edwardsson
Attached screenshot from my iPad.

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

Hi edwardsson

That's quite interesting. I wonder if different Fuji cameras give different results.

The X-T2 camera is newer than mine - 2017ish - https://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/fujifilm-x-t2-1324463/review

However, it does seem odd that other applications I have can process the RAW file from my own Fuji camera, and that the iPad version of AP in particular can't.

As I wrote earlier, I can get those files opened with the desktop version, though they have to be opened within the application itself.

If you point me in the direction of the original file you tried, I'll see if I can do that here. There still could be something that Apple is doing to these files - if it's not a Fuji issue. Ah - I can see the file now on the photography blog - thanks for putting the link in your post.

How did you download to the AP app? That might also give a clue. I just used email. I suppose I could use iCloud or Dropbox, but I am really not at all keen on cloud systems and try to avoid them whenever possible. I particularly dislike "clever" cloud systems which sync files automatically, and I don't care if they are encrypted and "nobody else can see your files" - I jusI don't believe that - and there are very specific complaints about Dropbox which confirm my concerns. I could try Box - which I use occasionally too. At least with Box I currently believe that it only uploads files I want to upload - and give explicit instructions for.

Thanks for trying.

I have now almost exhausted all the possibilities. AP does not like the RAF files from my Fuji camera - though it will accept the RAF files from one of the latest ones. This is very disappointing.

Another disappointment is that it only seems possible to save "Developed" versions of RAF files. If they are not processed that way they disappear. In this area AP is lacking as a DAM tool. I know it isn't one, and isn't intended to be one, but at least keeping copies of files which have been worked on (as it does with Jpegs) would be useful.

I have now almost perfected a route into the iPad via Box, and I can save files in Box on the iPad (I think) for transfer into AP - but there's no point for Fuji RAF files from my camera.

I also tried a few other apps to see if they did any better. The PS and Lightroom CC versions on the iPad are limited, and require administration of filthy lucre in order to activate them. One app was outstanding though - that was Snapseed. It works amazingly fast, and ultimately it can generate Jpegs which can then be fed back into AP if required. For quick adjustments Snapseed is great, and many people who just want to touch up their photos a bit, without going the distance of spending hours or days to get a near perfect result with other tools (including AP) might find that Snapseed does what they want/need. Of course another approach would be to use Snapseed to get a good Jpeg, then do the remaining edits back in AP.

One more line I've not (yet) tried is to see whether Fuji have a specific program for use with my camera - in which case that might actually be the best way (at least under the circumstances) to get a good output for further editing.

2 minutes ago, vtsoi said:

Dave2017 really appreciate for what u have tried.  I have to try it only when I am ready to upgrade my iMac if 2009.  I really hope what you did can give AP a clue how to fix the issue.  : )

So do I - hope that somebody will pick this up and fix the problems, that is.

I have iMacs which might be similar vintage to yours. Is yours one with a metal surround, or one of the even earlier ones with white plastic? I can't remember without checking again what the earliest OS which will work with AP is. One of my older iMacs has migrated from Lion->Mountain Line -> El Capitan and runs AP 1.6.7. I put more memory in that one, so it has 16 Gbytes of main memory - though a word of warning there is that it doesn't make it go much faster. If you have one with only 4 Gbytes of memory it is definitely worth inceasing that to 8 Gbytes, as that will reduce the likelihood of memory thrashing significantly, but depending on your pattern of work going up to 16 Gbytes may only give very marginal improvements. You'll know if your iMac tends to slow down because of having too many windows and applications open. So I'm not actually suggesting that you shouldn't push your iMac up to 16 Gbytes (if you can), but that it won't make too much difference for some applications such as iMovie and FCPX, where processing speed of the CPU and graphics performance make a big difference.

My MBP is much faster, with an i7 proessor and has a Retina display, and I would recommend a new iMac if that's the way you want to go, or a new MBP, but for much of what I do, or like to do, I find that a large screen is much easier to work with and gives better results. My slow machine is, however, a bit infuriating for use with video - such as FCPX, though if I can get the editing done on faster machines, then it should be fine for playback purposes.

Good luck, anyway. I'll come back if I can find out a Fuji tool for doing the RAW processing.