You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert Artistic Text to Frame Text

• Staff

Hi AndreasFurster,

Welcome to the Forum!

Unfortunately it isn't possible to convert Artistic Text into Frame Text you can see a post from one of our developers explaining why this is the case here.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to convert Artistic Text into Frame Text you can see a post from one of our developers explaining why this is the case here.

Dave Harris' post explains why it isn't possible to convert Frame Text into Artistic Text, but that doesn't preclude the possibility of converting in the opposite direction. Having said that, it's easy enough to select the text in an Artistic Text object, copy it and paste it at the text cursor in a text frame.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I personally just do not get it why there has to be 2 different tools for text. Text is text and you can manipulate it number of ways. What is the crucial difference between these 2 types? Wrapping text? Hardly a good reason. Please educate me.

I personally just do not get it why there has to be 2 different tools for text. Text is text and you can manipulate it number of ways.

Create a test document with one line of frame text & one line of art text. Switch to the move tool & for the bounding box of each one, grab any of the 8 peripheral control handles & drag them in or out or up or down.

See the difference?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the replies everybody! 

Having said that, it's easy enough to select the text in an Artistic Text object, copy it and paste it at the text cursor in a text frame.

That's what I did. I imported a PDF file with text. All the text was placed in a Artistic text object. So I had to copy, paste and the biggest one; re-position all the lines of text.

I hoped there was a better solution...

I personally just do not get it why there has to be 2 different tools for text. Text is text and you can manipulate it number of ways. What is the crucial difference between these 2 types? Wrapping text? Hardly a good reason. Please educate me.

I think the crucial difference is that with Artistic Text the text is bound to the edges. This maybe seems a small difference, but if you play with it you'll understand...

Although I think it could just be an option. 

Art text is treated as a geometric shape, like an ellipse or rounded rectangle. It's easy to resize or stretch out of proportion. Dragging with the Art text tool creates new text with the given baseline and cap-height, much as dragging with a shape tool creates a shape with a particular size. Clicking with the Art text tool on the edge of a shape or curve converts that object into a text path.

Frame text is more, well, texty. Yes, it wraps. It is much easier to work with as paragraphs because you don't need to put in the line breaks in by hand. Dragging with the Frame text tool sets the size of the frame, not the size of the text in the frame. Similarly when you resize a text frame, it doesn't resize the text inside it. Clicking on a curve or shape with the Frame text tool converts it into a frame.

The differences will be even greater when Publisher comes out, because Frame text will get support for multiple columns, text avoidance areas, and flowing between frames; Art text won't.

The differences will be even greater when Publisher comes out, because Frame text will get support for multiple columns, text avoidance areas, and flowing between frames; Art text won't.

What are 'text avoidance areas', Dave? This sounds a bit like wrapping, but I presume there's more to it than that.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

In XDP, dragging out an area with the text tool produces a text frame and so is then paragraph text. Clicking on the page produces what here is called artistic text. Each behave like their AD counterpart, but uses one text tool to achieve.

As does CD...

Just thinking aloud here. If there was a single text tool, perhaps the alt key could be used for creating artistic text at a given point size.

In DP or in AD, creating artistic text at a given size, I still end up needing to size it up/down for it to fit a given space. So for myself, whether I have to start out too small or too large and size it to fit, it doesn't matter whether I start out by just clicking on the page and using the default size nor whether I have to resize what I "draw out" to approximate what *might* be close to the size I need.

Mike

It does not make much difference were there 1 or 2 text tools, all effects could be applied with suitable methods even if source object was normal text frame. Even now you can take text frame and apply mesh warp and the object transforms to arttext object automagically. It is just that we are accustomed to making normal text and manipulating it various ways, taking different tool seems foreign. Never mind, artistic text probably has some work flow benefits when I get used to it. 

Edit: Ahem, I was fiddling with AP when I wrote that, and mixed it with AD. Similar text tools, but indeed there is no transform tools beyond scale/rotate. Maybe next version we will have mesh/envelope distort.