You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Out there

My wife is opening a gallery and she's looking for a chiseled type effect in stone (Stonemasons Gallery) and I've been charged to come up with the design.

Been looking at Gill because of his relationship with type and carving

What's the best way of going about this in either Designer - Photo. Has anybody had experience of this?

I've had a play in bevel and 3d effects in designer, but haven't got the right feel

It will be used in all things media related - print signage and web

Thanks for any input

Vernon

• Staff

@MBd,

One of the problems of doing that is the results are ambiguous. You can't tell if you really have carved text or if it's simply embossed text with the light coming from bottom.

It's a little more tricky than it looks. The light must be carefully worked to achieve a credible effect but even with photographic images it's easy to "switch" between the two if you stare at them a little.

The texture (scale) also helps to get the effect right (if you are going for a realistic approach).

@Vernon,

Can you give us more details? Are you trying to replicate the effect as if it was really carved in stone (realistic) or simply trying to come up with a carved effect in a clean surface? Which font do you intend to use? A sample image close to what you are looking for would help here.

Nicely done, Miguel, but I have exactly the problem that you described yesterday! I keep seeing your example as embossed text with the light coming from the bottom, instead of carved text with the light coming from the top.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello, this is the wife in question here. Vernon has started something – I'm very impressed with your responses.

I had not taken the optical illusion of a carved surface looking like an embossed one, into account. So thank you for pointing that out MBd.

PixelPest's image is the sort of thing I'm looking for – apart from the inner/outer thing.

I first thought of a cube to illustrate the space – a white cube in which to show work – but apart from the existing gallery in London, the idea is too widely used. So then I thought a block of stone with an 'S' carved in one face. Like on a gravestone but with a matt surface – not all shiny and smooth.

As for fonts, I see where Vernon is coming from with Gill – and if a sans serif could be made to be imposing (not quite the word I'm looking for) enough, okay but I would think a serif font would suit the idea of stonemasons and letter carving better?

Regards, Penelope

I've been doing some Googling

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hm3kt0a90yah1ec/AAANfYmmThi6kCMoWToKtgloa?dl=0

Not an easy job. AF is a 2D application, and this sort of thing is easier to model in good 3D programs, tho' when I used them, the output was screen resolution only.

Here's what I did. I'm somewhat familiar w. Gill fonts, and stone carvings. I used Perpetua, his "modern antique" seriifed font, and  typed an "S"

The hard part for me was breaking the form to the 4 components of the incised stroke. Not terribly accurate. Then assigned some gradients to fake lighting from above.

Maybe this will help Vernon.

post-34886-0-07925900-1471200524_thumb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi gdenby,

What do you mean "Not terribly accurate"?  Looks pretty darned fabulous to me!

I'm still learning to control the vector drawing tools. The center of the V gouge line wobbles some, and isn't quite a 50-50 split. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

@ gdenby, would you be able to share the AD file that you did to create this? It would be interesting to see the process you used - like the use of Perpetua to give it depth, if not just an idea of process

@ PixelPest, yes you're right tin your assumptions; did you create the attached effect in AP, and if so, would you give an idea of the process.

@ MEB, I like the gold giving it depth, was this AP?

Lots of questions!!

cheers

vernon

Hi Miguel

I've been trying to get the same depth effect that you got on your example, do you have a few pointers in this, or is it possible to see how you did it on your file?

I tried it in Design - do you have to use Photo for this to work?

Sorry this is dragging out a little in time - had to get on the press last week so design time was limited

cheers

Vernon

Sorry to be slow in making a reply. Sure, you can have the letter "S' in an improved version. I've been working on a whole alphabet in caps, and when finished, if anyone want it, they're welcome to it.

I'm learning a lot, not only about AF, but fonts and chiseling. I've become much better at breaking the font letters into chisel cut sections. Still not quite clear on what the carving standard in reality is, if there is one. Also, fussing w. adding chisel marks within the cut sections.

For now, I hope the portioned letter shape can be made to work w. gradient effects to simulate light from a specific direction.

Letter_S_parted.afdesign

Huion WH1409 tablet