You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to create vector brushes

Hi MEB,  thanks for the getting back to me and it is good to hear that it is on the plans to be done :)

Hi theste,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

The brushes are still in development. Not all features are implemented yet. Just give us some time and we will get there :)

• Staff

Just for reference, has anyone seen a good use of vector brushes in a design? I have seen great designs made with the textured vetor brushes made within Affinity but I find the results from vector brushes in Illustrator underwhelming.

Just for reference, has anyone seen a good use of vector brushes in a design? I have seen great designs made with the textured vetor brushes made within Affinity but I find the results from vector brushes in Illustrator underwhelming.

No... Never seen... Almost line/ink art, I think it depends on paint engine implementation.

Only the physical based engine (Bristle Brush) allows to control opacity with pressure, and is totally vector so results are not as organic as with a mapped texture.

But Adobe is coming too... Recent update to Adobe Photoshop Sketch for iOS includes mapped strokes and a dedicated app to create these.

I suppose they'll port this approach to PS and AI sooner or later.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• Staff

I'm not a fan of vector brushes trying to mimic what can be a lot better achieved in raster.  That said being able to repeat vector shapes along a path is definitely useful (so a vector scatter brush), and patten brushes for borders, etc. can be good too.  Simple stretch/repeat type vector brushes - agreed the texture type ones tend to look naff vs raster but even just for things like having multiple lines along a path with different widths, opacities, or colours (obviously can do much cooler things than a rainbow - but will just say that as an example) I think still has a use case.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

I would still like to see examples of them looking good. I think repeating different vector shapes along a path could be achieved in other ways and that feature could have other uses cases to. As for a rainbow I think a warp would achieve the same result.  

Vector stretch brushes tend to have terrible corner conditions as sown in Illustrator and they can't be solved with a max blend stage like textured brushes.

Not saying we shouldn't implement them but I think the results will not be magical.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

There are tons of examples on Dribbble. And vector brushes allow fine media style artwork to be created that is scalable for large print projects, and that is incredibly useful.

But can you link to anything that looks good.

• 1 month later...

But can you link to anything that looks good.

I think the vector Lino-cut brushes in this TutsPlus tutorial look wonderful: http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-a-set-of-art-brushes-you-can-use-to-make-a-linocut-style-illustration--cms-21964

I can't wait to try this tut using Affinity Designer, the minute after it's possible to make custom vector brushes.

I think the vector Lino-cut brushes in this TutsPlus tutorial look wonderful: http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-a-set-of-art-brushes-you-can-use-to-make-a-linocut-style-illustration--cms-21964

I can't wait to try this tut using Affinity Designer, the minute after it's possible to make custom vector brushes.

Excluding the feathering brush (which is time saving, but not so organic in this example) you could handle this technique right now using pressure profiles, keeping all in pure vectors.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

• 7 months later...

I’d also like to see brushes based on vector shapes in AD. 

I heavily used Illustrator’s art brush in order to draw the fur in the following image: http://fav.me/d55689p

Although this could be done with pressure profiles, it wouldn’t feel as intuitive.

The texture in the background was also created with an art brush.

Yes, it’s not a hyper-important request, but I just prefer working with vector-only files. :rolleyes:  ;)

• 5 months later...

Mike Austin makes extensive use of custom vector brushes in Illustrator (which I know because he posts Ai tutorials on YouTube and his subscription site). He has some of the best vector pieces I've ever seen. Here is a link to his DeviantArt gallery:

http://humannature84.deviantart.com/gallery/

ETA: I'd also love for this functionality to be added to AD! :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/11/2016 at 3:37 PM, uncle808us said:

OK Matt whoever you are implement it ! !

I guess he means @MattP

https://affinityspotlight.com/article/interview-with-matt-priestley-lead-affinity-designer-developer/

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

1 hour ago, Johannes said:

Hello Matt. make it so. Been so long, I forgot why I asked oh yea. How to get rid of the space when the space after it is closed?

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

• 3 weeks later...

The way I have closed this gap is to break the node where the gap is into 2, then tinker with the position of those nodes. The shape still fills, if wanted.

I too would very much like the ability to create custom vector brushes in AD from objects such as rough hand-drawn lines or sections of copy. I need them to stay vector, not be imported as raster. If it exists in the latest version I haven't found it yet.

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2014 at 9:12 AM, TonyB said:

Needed for all vector T-shirt designs

Screen Grab 2021-06-18 at 09.03.54.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk