You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Since you don't offer a normal support and I don't have much time, I will try to get a response here. I have made a file with some objects on a transparent background and I export it as an eps-file for export, but when I open it, it opens with a white background. What is this and how do I avoid it? I hope someone can give me a response asap and I also hope you can offer some normal tech support some day. 

And when I open the exported file in AD it is rasterized and not a vector-file. I am sorry, but this is really a disappointment then. Perhaps it is me who don't understand vector and only thought I did, since AD was so easy and intuitive to use, but it was probably just and illusion. The design should be simple. I use a logo I have made earlier which is also a vector-file, add a line to it, which I thought would be vector - and then some numbers and letters which definitely should be vector. No effects or gradients or anything. 

Now I tried to export setting rasterizing to Nothing and that created a file worse than anything. The nice line around turned into a thick line and the whole image was turned into a chaotic jumble with white squares all over. 

So, if this is not a bug, it seems like it isn't as easy as it seemed to be to create vector-stuff in AD at all. And what to do with this now? 

I add the actual file, but when I export it I deselect the blue background. 

OK, so now I took out the encircling line and drew it again, as it seems like it had been converted into a rasterised layer and the same thing with one of the logo-files embedded, which is an eps-file, probably because I used the eraser on it. Now I opened the original eps-file and modified it and exported it as a new eps-file and imported it to the design again. Now it became more transparent, but with white squares behind the two logo-layers - which, again, are eps-files but obviously are being converted into rasterised files by AD. How do I avoid that? I thought vector stayed vector.

And if I allow rasterizing it all turn out with a white background. Why? The two files added are vector-files (eps) and the line should be vector as far as I understand, and so are the numbers and letters. So why doesn't it export as a transparent vector?

And where is support when you need it?

GGklistrmerke.afdesign

It's the brush stroke you are using causing the rasterizing. You can copy the stroke itself to InkScape, CorelDraw or AI, paste it in and trace it, export as an SVG and bring that back in and replace the bitmap stroke. I can upload one if desired.

Also, when you open an EPS in AD, make sure to visit the document properties and make sure that in the color section you check the box for a transparent background.

Well, the brushstroke is made in AD so how can that be? I deleted the first one and then I did it again, using the same brush - which I made in AD - and that took care of it, but the two shapes which are part of a logo I have made and which are both eps-files, come out as rasterised shapes with white backgrounds. 

I'll check that about the colour section, though. 

And it has that box checked. 

Well, now I am getting closer. If one embeds something it is being rasterized. The trick is then to copy the eps-file and paste it. That solves that part, but it doesn't solve the mystery with the stroke. What is the idea of being able to create one's own brushes within the vector-part of AD, if those strokes aren't vector? How do I get around that? I don't have CorelDraw or AI or InkScape but I have an app called Intaglio (which isn't very intuitive to work with, alas) but again; I thought brushes made in AD (on the vector side) became vector-brushes. Isn't that so? And if not, what is the use of them then? Or if there is a way to make them vector, without having to use other applications, how is that done?

It's the brush stroke you are using causing the rasterizing. You can copy the stroke itself to InkScape, CorelDraw or AI, paste it in and trace it, export as an SVG and bring that back in and replace the bitmap stroke. I can upload one if desired.

Also, when you open an EPS in AD, make sure to visit the document properties and make sure that in the color section you check the box for a transparent background.

Well, I tried to do this with Intaglio but without much success. I have also tried to find out why the brushes I make aren't vector although I follow the instructions, so yes, if you care to, I would much apprecaite if you could help out. I am almost there and it is only that damn stroke missing. 

I have no clue as to the issues with the brush per se. I'm using the Windows beta, so all I will do is upload the SVG file of the stroke item. Do note that the color changed and you will need to color it again.

Untitled-1.svg

I haven't had much time to use the beta--paying work comes first. But I'll take a look later tonight.

Mike

Well, thanks a lot! To change the colour is no sweat at all and this saved me for a helluva lot of work, having to hand-trace it. 

Yes, paying work comes first and this is a paid job, so I am all the more grateful. I work mostly with other kinds of illustrations, so to pay for AI or the likes of it is the kind of expense I can't afford. I am on a Mac so AD is out of beta and works well, but as I am not too experienced with vector, I obviously still stumble, although AD is very intuitive in my opinion. 

So perhaps a tracing feature is the next thing we should ask for? 

But yes, I am still curious as to why the brushes aren't vector. Anyway, thanks a lot again!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Why not just rasterize the logo to a png or a tiff? Then you can get a transparent background. Should work for most printing. 

Martin

I wasn't notified about new posts here, but that is of course a solution, but not if you need to blow it up later. But anyway, Intaglio has a free app for vectorising and getting paths. Very useful. 

http://www.purgatorydesign.com/Vectorize/index.html