You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta - 1.5.0.11 (Windows)

Neither a bug nor a feature request (I would say), more basic functionality:

When switching font families Designer switches to the top style of that family. And can switch from italic to regular or bold (or even black, since Designer doesn't seem to sort the families at all). It should stick to the same font-style when available. And if not available probably switch to regular as default setting.

I have a question as I'm sure we're close to Photo's beta and the commercial version of designer for windows.

I own both a Mac and PC but want to know if the licenses are cross platform?  Something similar to what Adobe's doing when it comes to licenses "don't go the subscription route though!", basically if you bought a license you can use it on your mac or pc.

If not, I'd buy both versions anyway well actually I have licenses on the mac side :P

Unfortunately you would need to buy the software twice, as there is no way of knowing who has made a purchase on the Mac App Store. <Edit> This is discussed quite a lot more in the questions forum, particularly this thread </edit>

Neither a bug nor a feature request (I would say), more basic functionality:

When switching font families Designer switches to the top style of that family. And can switch from italic to regular or bold (or even black, since Designer doesn't seem to sort the families at all). It should stick to the same font-style when available. And if not available probably switch to regular as default setting.

Thanks Biscuit, I'll get that logged and fixed.

Edited by Patrick Connor
licensing questions pointed to questions forum.

er, not seeing that. Is that the whole recipe? New RGB/8 document + "Colour Chooser" dialog brought up how? When does it change, on Tab or click away?

Apologies for the rather hurried post this morning, Patrick! The target colour should have been your #ad42e75 with the extra digit, and you don't actually need to switch to the Pixel Persona. Try this:

1. New RGB/8 document

2. Draw a rectangle

3. Double-click the Fill swatch in the Colour panel

4. In the Colour Chooser dialog that pops up, change the '#' value to ad42e75

5. Click in any of the other input controls, or press and hold the 'Close' button

6. Observe that the '#' value changes to FF2E75

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have V 1.5.0.8 beta successfully installed (Win 7 Pro 64 sp 1); it runs fine!

I downloaded 1.5.0.11 beta and when I try to install, NET framework update installs OK and then I get a message that it can't find Affinity.msi.  I can't uninstall  V 1.5.0.8 from Control Panel either; same message.  Please help.  TIA

RESOLVED

used Windows Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter 

Unfortunately you would need to buy the software twice, as there is no way of knowing who has made a purchase on the Mac App Store. <Edit> This is discussed quite a lot more in the questions forum, particularly this thread </edit>

Thanks Biscuit, I'll get that logged and fixed.

Makes sense, but you can sell mac software outside of the app store, but that's your call.

1. Move back/front shortcuts don't work on my side ( Ctrl+Shift+[ , Ctrl+Shift+] ). Back/Front One work properly.

2. When we call a context menu of a selected element the element will be visually deselected while the menu is shown. This confuses a little bit.

3. When you switch keyboard to any other than latin layout - shortcuts don't  work. I know  that it's a usual problem, but it would be awesome if you could solve it.

• Staff

Hi Gray_Master,

Sorry for the slight delay.

I've just opened your pdf file and exporting to jpeg/png/pdf from it without a crash.

Can you let me know what format and export settings you are exporting to?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• Staff

We have a similar report in at the moment, but we are getting slightly differing behavior when testing it with your file. I can export file but a colleague has reproduced what you are experiencing.

We will continue to look into this, I'll let you know if we have any updates

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

ISSUE:

Hi guys, can you please make the "force pixel alignment with move by whole pixels" work properly? Imagine a pixel perfect box (f.e. 200x100px) and the text inside him. Now, when you try to position box with text, the designer try to align both by text baseline as well. It cause troubles to box positioning. You can easily set position of the main box to 0,2, 0,5, 0,7 decimal values and it's not fine when i have "move by whole pixels" checked. The box is someting like parent object (bigger bounding box), so the positioning should be calculate by his bounding box.

Does anyone know when the Windows version will be released for purchase? I tried to use my beta the other day and found out it expired. I want to buy this and start using it for real, but the website doesn't offer that option. And please tell me I won't have to buy it from the iTunes store (or whatever it's called, where the link takes you when you are going to purchase the Mac version) :-)

Thanks for your help!

I tried to use my beta the other day and found out it expired.

The version that you've been using must be more than a month old. Go to the first post in this thread for a link to the version 1.5.0.11 download.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I did download the beta again. But won't it expire, too, at some point? I want to know when I'll be able to buy it. As far as I'm concerned, I am ready to use this for "real" stuff but I don't want to be unable to edit something because the beta's expired and I can't buy the real version yet. And the post where you download the beta has all of this language about how it's a beta and there's no guarantee, etc. I'm just wondering if they have a timeline for actual release.

• Staff

Hi beelissa,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, all Betas have an expiry date. Currently there's no ETA for Designer 's release on Windows since there's still issues/bugs to fix and a few features to implement/finish.

You have to keep installing the latest betas if you intend to use the program during the Beta period. There's no point in using old betas because the issues/bugs users might find may have already been fixed in the most recent Beta.

I'm just wondering if they have a timeline for actual release.

Do you understand the whole point of Beta testing? It is for others than the programmers to find all the various problems the programmers aren’t aware of, so they can fix them. And since they’re not aware of those problems, they cannot know when the software will be ready for final release.

As such, I’m sincerely hoping they don’t have a timeline for actual release because that would only force them to release some software that is not ready for release.

*Sigh* guys ive been working for a whole 3 hours on this piece, it randomly crashed with no warning or anything. it reverted to a save that was about 10 minutes into the piece. this is getting super frustrating having it crash over and over and saving WAY back., here is a export of my work 5 minuts in, the point it keeps reverting to over and over. 

post-34840-0-04164800-1471503041_thumb.png

Do you get a crash reference dialog the next time you start the application? Is there anything in %APPDATA%\Serif\Affinity Designer\1.0 (Beta)\Crash Reports ?

What were you doing when the application crashed? In order to fix the problem we need to be able to reproduce it.

Auto-save should kick in every 5 minutes, so it sounds like something is going wrong there.