You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In AP, I was using my brush in overlay blend mode (the brush, not the layer), hoping to clean up a layer mask. I had my mask selected and displayed in black and white format. I found that black painted as black and white painted as white no matter where I was on my black, white and gray layer mask. I was hoping to darken to pure black and lighten to pure white areas of my mask that were something less than pure white or black. This works this way in Photoshop, so I was surprised that I couldn't do it in AP.

I couldn't get it to work in the new beta either.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi Glenar,

I have tried using a Brush in overlay blend mode to paint onto a mask in PS but I haven't been able to get it to work unfortunately. Would it be possible for you to provide more information about this issue and the exact steps you take in PS?

Thanks

C*

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Callum,

This is what I do in PS. 

I make a selection, and apply a mask to that selection. Then delete the selection and option click on the mask to show only the mask on the screen. I now have only a black and white (and grays) showing on the screen. I now want to clean up the mask, essentially making all white areas 100% white and all black areas 100% black. To do this,

I select a brush, and change the brush mode to overlay. This is the mode selection drop down on the top part of the screen. Not a layer mode. Change foreground/background to B/W and paint on the visible mask.

As I understand it and as it works on PS, when painting in overlay mode with black, all pixels of >50%gray will become 100% black and white is ignored,  and when painting in white, all pixels of <50% gray will become 100% white and black pixels are ignored.

In AP, when applying this procedure, no pixel section is made. Black paints as black, white paints as white.

Thank you for looking into this.

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2016 at 1:28 AM, Glenar said:

In AP, I was using my brush in overlay blend mode (the brush, not the layer), hoping to clean up a layer mask. I had my mask selected and displayed in black and white format. I found that black painted as black and white painted as white no matter where I was on my black, white and gray layer mask. I was hoping to darken to pure black and lighten to pure white areas of my mask that were something less than pure white or black. This works this way in Photoshop, so I was surprised that I couldn't do it in AP.

I couldn't get it to work in the new beta either.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

The above is possible through the following steps.

image.png.e05c446844d3898250237c53bfc1fe70.png

1.place cursor on the desired mask as above and select it.

image.png.f2fe07cdd29cbbfc322a90658f454087.png

2. come to channels panel and keep cursor on the "Mask Alpha". Right click mouse. Select "Create Greyscale Layer".

image.png.4dcfefbc6fd2aab7723dbea04f320bcd.png

3. Another layer will be generated below the (Mask) icon above. Delete the (Mask) layer as it is not required now.The name is (Pixel). In this layer, brush will work in overlay

blend mode as desired. After completing the edit, go to top left of screen and click Layer. Scroll down and click "Rasterize to Mask".

Now the (pixel) icon will become (Mask). Thats all.

Hello Glenar,

Overlay mode for brush is very important and I came across your topic while searching for a solution. I am sure many others will have come across this situation during the initial learning process . So I thought of adding what I learned during the search for a solution.

Thank you for the acknowledgement.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I've tried many times to paint in white or black on a mask with Overlay blend mode for precisely the reasons stated above. I'm glad for the workaround using the "mask alpha," but it would be really fantastic to be able to paint directly on a mask layer in white or black with the Overlay blend mode. 

• 10 months later...