You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Folks, 

Been a while since I've been on here!

Anyway I'm after help yet again. So I'm putting together a logo design for a friend and the design is a full circle with a smaller circle within the outer. However, the inner circle needs to be broken at the bottom... I have attached a couple of rough sketch's that I have done so that you get the idea what I am talking about.

Basically what is the best way to create the break in the inner circle? Confused? you will be  :huh:  :huh:

Cheers in advance, because I know you lot will know the answer  ;)

Mark

Logo sketch.pdf

Couldn't you just overlap a donut and a triangle and then add them (via the 'Add' button on the Geometry toolbar) or have I misunderstood what you're trying to do?

Mountain_logo.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred,

Unfortunately I keep getting an error message when I try to open your file. It says that the file version is not supported with my version of designer?!?!? I'm using the latest version. Odd... any ideas?

Mark

• Staff

Hi Mark,

The file Alfred provided was created in Designer 1.5 Beta (for Windows). You need to have Designer 1.5 Beta for Mac to open it. Previous versions aren't able to open files generated with version 1.5 due to changes in the .afdesign format.

Here's Alfred's file converted to 1.4 file format:

Mountain_logo (1.4).afdesign

• Staff

I've uploaded the file converted to v1.4 format. Alternatively you can download Designer 1.5 Beta from this thread if you are willing to try it. The Beta is for testing purposes only and shouldn't be used for production work. Remember to keep the Mac App Store installed since it's needed to run the beta.

Glad to help, Mark. Sorry it wasn't as straightforward as it might have been!

Alfred spacer.png

Ok, 

So another little problem I have come across.... and I'm sure you clever people will have an answer for me.

It may be easier if you just take a look at the attached file as I have put my question on there to try and make it easier to understand.

file:///Users/Mark/Desktop/Logo%20test%201.afdesign

That's on your Desktop. You'll need to press the 'More Reply Options' button and browse to the file so that it gets uploaded for attaching to your post.

Alfred spacer.png

With the donut and the left-hand triangle selected on Layer 2 of the attached version of your document, press the 'Divide' button on the Geometry toolbar. You can then click on the overhang section and get rid of it by pressing the Delete key on your keyboard. Select the two pieces of the donut and press 'Add' to join them back together again.

Now select the donut with the Node Tool and drag upwards on the part where it crosses the left-hand triangle (so that you get a good overlap between the two shapes). Select both shapes and press 'Add' to join them back together again.

You will already have a node at the left-hand end of the curve that you want to remove. Click on that node and press the 'Break Curve' button on the Action toolbar. Click at the other end of the curved section to add a node where it intersects with the edge of the right-hand triangle. Click again on the left-hand node and press Delete; you may need to repeat this a few times to delete coincident nodes.

Let me know if I've missed out any crucial steps!

Logo test 1 redux.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png

Why don't you download the customer beta, Mark? It won't affect your use of AD 1.4, and you'll be able to open files saved from either the Mac or the Windows beta of AD 1.5.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

There's no advantages in having both installed if you don't intend to use the Beta for playing/testing.

The Beta is subject to constant changes (sometimes resets) and may break existing functionality. For those using Affinity Designer for production/daily work or that rely on custom made brushes, styles and other settings it's probably better to keep using just the commercial version. The new features will end up there too sooner or later...

Hi Alfred, 

I will look into downloading the new Beta. Thank you for your help but I am just having some difficulty with the third set of your instructions, any chance you could simplify them down to a level that a semi intelligent chimp could understand?

Thanks again

Mark

When I tried again to follow the procedure I outlined in my earlier post, I didn't get the same result as last time. No wonder you were having 'some difficulty'!

Your friendly neighbourhood semi-intelligent chimp will now try again, with a slightly different approach. :P

Layer 2 of my file initially looks like this:

post-8358-0-93516300-1471198973_thumb.png

When you divide the donut and the left-hand triangle and then delete the overhang section of the triangle, you get this:

post-8358-0-13089300-1471198984_thumb.png

After joining the two pieces of the donut back together again, you should have this:

post-8358-0-90175900-1471198994_thumb.png

Looking again, I see that I could have combined the previous step with the next one, joining all three pieces at once instead of two at a time, but whichever way you do it you will eventually end up with this:

post-8358-0-49384300-1471199007_thumb.png

Here comes the new bit: instead of selecting the curve that you want to remove and breaking it at its left-hand end, start by adding a new node where the curved section intersects with the right-hand edge of the right-hand triangle:

post-8358-0-47759300-1471199019_thumb.png

Break the curve at that node (I missed that step the last time!) and then select the node again and press Delete. You should get this:

post-8358-0-64465200-1471199030_thumb.png

I can get the above result consistently now, and all that remains is to delete the handles next to the square node on the left:

post-8358-0-11610700-1471199046_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

Hi Alfred, 

Sorry for the late reply, works been manic. Sorry I am still having trouble with steps 5,6 and 7. How do I add a node? and then how do I break the circle. Sorry for all the darts questions but every day is a learning day  :D

Mark

How do I add a node?

With the Node Tool selected, left-click on the curve where you want to add it.

and then how do I break the circle

With the new node still selected, left-click on the 'Break Curve' icon (the first one) on the Action toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png

• 1 month later...