You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perspective/Skew shape without manually moving individual nodes

Back again with another question for this awesome community.  I of course used the search function and found some related questions in 2014 and early 2015 where MEB commented that this feature was on the roadmap and would eventually be released.  

I'm hoping for 2 things...first, a work-around to keep my shapes vectors and not have to move a thousand individual nodes to reach my desired effect.  Second, a possible ETA of when this feature will go live in Affinity Designer.

I am currently recreating a logo for a client (not my favorite task in the least) and his logo was pixel based, created in photoshop, and skewed for the final effect.  He only has a JPEG so I have had to create the logo from scratch, starting from the beginning.  In photoshop, I used the perspective crop tool to make it a more head-on view so I can create the logo first.  I have recreated it in Affinity Designer and before adding all of the effects, I would like to skew the perspective to match his original logo.  I can easily do it in Photoshop but then we're back to raster graphics and square one.  

For the Affinity Designer geniuses here, give me some options.  For the mods, please let me know if this is in a beta version that I can install or when the feature may be available in a future update.  I am attaching some images so you get a better idea of what I am working with here.  Again, not my art or creation so go easy me as it's not the greatest design in my opinion.

Thanks in advance,

Chad

post-5775-0-60633200-1470754038_thumb.png

post-5775-0-77495400-1470754084_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi ChadStyle,

Towards the bottom right of the app you should see a Transform Tab at the bottom right of this tab there will be a Shear Field (see attached). You can use this field to Skew your object without manually moving the nodes :)

I hope this helps!

C

post-12469-0-59010200-1470754471_thumb.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi ChadStyle,

Towards the bottom right of the app you should see a Transform Tab at the bottom right of this tab there will be a Shear Field (see attached). You can use this field to Skew your object without manually moving the nodes :)

I hope this helps!

C

I am familiar with this function but unfortunately, I need to distort the perspective as well and the shear function is limited in that regard.

I do thank you for your prompt reply but this won't work for my application.  If you have a moment, take a quick look at the files I attached in my original post.

Thanks, again!

• Staff

Hi ChadStyle, 

If that isn't able to do the job then unfortunately you may struggle with achieving this in Designer. Affinity Designer doesn't have a Perspective Tool yet. We have plans to add a Mesh Warp distortion tool to Designer in the future but we can't give an exact ETA for this I'm afraid.

Affinity Photo has a Perspective Tool. You could download a free 10day trial from our website and use that to apply your perspective: https://affinity.serif.com/photo/

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Yeah, shear isn't enough.

I'd jump over to Inkscape for a minute or two just for the perspective tool and then bring everything back.... still in vector.

Remember (I think this will be true).... in order to use the perspective in IS you will have to combine all the paths. Just remember to break apart before the return.... or only return to the MAS version of Designer as the Boolean Divide will be inactive in the latest Beta.

Yeah, shear isn't enough.

I'd jump over to Inkscape for a minute or two just for the perspective tool and then bring everything back.... still in vector.

Remember (I think this will be true).... in order to use the perspective in IS you will have to combine all the paths. Just remember to break apart before the return.... or only return to the MAS version of Designer as the Boolean Divide will be inactive in the latest Beta.

I have combined all paths so I can distort as a whole.  I made a copy of all the individual components so I have them in the event I need to edit anything later.  I haven't played with Inkscape so I will have to check it out.  Thanks for the reply!

Hi ChadStyle, 

If that isn't able to do the job then unfortunately you may struggle with achieving this in Designer. Affinity Designer doesn't have a Perspective Tool yet. We have plans to add a Mesh Warp distortion tool to Designer in the future but we can't give an exact ETA for this I'm afraid.

Affinity Photo has a Perspective Tool. You could download a free 10day trial from our website and use that to apply your perspective: https://affinity.serif.com/photo/

C

Callum,

I have Affinity Photo but I am trying to keep everything vector he requested this for a metal business card application he is working with.  Once I throw it into Affinity Photo it will have to be rasterized.

I have used Affinity Designer Betas in the past with great results when new features were on the brink of release.  I was hoping that this feature may be in the latest beta so I could load it and try it out.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the replies.

Chad

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a long-term fan of Serif's DrawPlus which doesn't look anywhere near as modern/attractive but does actually Do Stuff, like shear, perspective etc with vector images. I've been assuming that Affinity will aim to do anything DrawPlus can do as a baseline, even if it achieves that in different ways.

But I could be wrong... By the way, you can copy and paste objects from DrawPlus to Affinity, so that's a possibility.