You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

If you convert the circle to curves & break it at the top node where the gap is, depending in the brush you use, the gap should close.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I still wonder what the "Overlap"-property is for.

Me too!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I still wonder what the "Overlap"-property is for.

Me too!

Me three! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Overlap is more apparent on corners when using a clearly defined image brush. It treats the images coming into the corners as if each segment is it's own curve.

Draw a square, use an image brush (chain link is a good example). Set it to Overlap corners.

Duplicate it. On the duplicate uncheck Overlap (pick one of the other two) but unweld the corner nodes.

Same result.

(there seems to be a couple of different stretching issues with all three options, though, as well....... :o )

To me the mystery is the difference between Pull and Fold. :huh: In my mind I think I know what they should be. It just doesn't look like they've been activated yet...

In Illustrator a completely separate image can be defined as the corner piece. Wish we had that....(yes, I requested it).

To me the mystery is the difference between Pull and Fold. :huh: In my mind I think I know what they should be. It just doesn't look like they've been activated yet...

I can see a slight difference if I draw a 'V' shape with the chain link brush, but I can't quite figure out what it's trying to do.

In Illustrator a completely separate image can be defined as the corner piece. Wish we had that....(yes, I requested it).

Older versions of Serif's Windows-only applications allowed you to add a WMF (Windows Metafile Format) border to the bounding box of an object. The corner pieces were separate there, too, and the settings stored in the Windows registry included things like rotation of the corner graphics.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

Hopefully this image should clear up the confusion?

post-5-0-48791000-1470942131_thumb.png

Fold tries to look like it's folded over on a tight corner. Overlap treats each tight corner as though it's the end of one curve and the beginning of another so the pieces overlap. Pull tries to pull the texture around the corner by distorting the areas leading up to it slightly.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Matt,

That's what I have been expecting the behavior to be. 

But, for awhile I was getting no change at all when clicking back and forth.... seems to have cleared on restart.

So, that's a big chunk cleared up.

Obviously it's visually more successful on certain images over others.

For me, though, it's been a bit schizophrenic. 

For example, I get a different result when using the two "Rope/braids" presets (even after adjusting the offset points).

Is there a secret to the image creation itself?

The stretching issue is still there.

And there's this (when using overlap and moving nodes).

It's a zoom thing (I think) but never goes away completely...

post-12544-0-06127700-1470943445_thumb.png

Sorry, haven't learned how to post images yet. 

Click on 'More Reply Options' and look for the 'Attach Files' section below the message composition area. Browse to your saved image file or Affinity document and then (very important, but easy to overlook!) press the 'Attach This File' button.

Alfred spacer.png

Click on 'More Reply Options' and look for the 'Attach Files' section below the message composition area. Browse to your saved image file or Affinity document and then (very important, but easy to overlook!) press the 'Attach This File' button.

Got it, edited the post.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks. The thumbnail image looks like nothing very much, but when expanded to full size it looks amazing!

Alfred spacer.png

Been working on this today. I'm a newb too, and so thrashing around a bit.  Find a texture you like. Today I've been messing w. desaturated Jackson Pollock painting sections. Cut out a slice. I'm not familiar enough yet w. AD, so I'm using GIMP. Flip the selection, and join it so you have a long thin-ish strip rectangle. Save it high quality .jpg. Then while in  in the brushes panel, create a new texture intensity brush. Apply that to the circle. It will join seamlessley. Or at least my experiments have worked that way.

I won´t call this seamlessly when you look closely at "high-noon".

Left and right end of brush needs to be "identical". Have a look please at these two scanned brushstrokes:

Cheers

P.

post-28670-0-82642600-1470994598_thumb.png

post-28670-0-86709300-1470994612_thumb.png

I won´t call this seamlessly when you look closely at "high-noon".

Left and right end of brush needs to be "identical". Have a look please at these two scanned brushstrokes:

Cheers

P.

Yes, I know. I haven't tried that operation for several years. Last time, I used Photoshop. This time, GIMP, which I've only been using for maybe 3 months, and so am still a little clumsy. "Hypothetically" it works. :)

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Been working on this today. I'm a newb too, and so thrashing around a bit.  Find a texture you like. Today I've been messing w. desaturated Jackson Pollock painting sections. Cut out a slice. I'm not familiar enough yet w. AD, so I'm using GIMP. Flip the selection, and join it so you have a long thin-ish strip rectangle. Save it high quality .jpg. Then while in  in the brushes panel, create a new texture intensity brush. Apply that to the circle. It will join seamlessley. Or at least my experiments have worked that way.

attachicon.gifSeamlessTexture.jpg

Thanks gdenby!

I did manage to make my own brush, but couldn't change the color of it. However it is still the best solution for me so far.