You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Every image I export from AP exports at 72dpi no matter what I try. I opened a jpeg image in AP and did some retouching, creating layers and then went to document>resize canvas and changed the dpi setting to 300dpi. I unchecked resample and then saved the image as an afphoto file. I then chose file>export and exported as a tiff file. The resulting exported tiff is 72dpi!! Why is this so difficult? This makes AP completely unusable for any type of print purposes. The export portion of AP feels like an afterthought or something that was developed by someone that has no clue of how the app would be used in real life.

Please don't get me wrong, I love you guys and I love AP and AD but these apps need some severe polishing in order to be used on a day-to-day basis in the pro world.

I am not sure about this, but I think any time you export with the "embed metadata" option enabled (in File>Export>Tiff>More or in the Export Persona) and the file has a dpi value embedded in it to begin with, then that dpi value overrides whatever dpi you have set in Document> Resize Canvas.

So, try unchecking that option & see if it helps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I don't think this has anything directly to do with Affinity (other than not providing a metadata editing function). Rather, it is that most apps will read the embedded metadata & use any dpi info it finds in the file as the default value. After all, that is the purpose of metadata to begin with & it would cause all kinds of problems if apps simply ignored it.

Also, don't overlook that the default dpi value, even if present in the file's metadata, can usually be overridden, for example in a print dialog that allows scaling by percent or to fit the chosen page size, or by an "n-up" feature that allows printing several pages on one sheet. In fact, essentially all print drivers convert dpi values to whatever kind of digital data the printing process requires to create a "dot" on the page. For instance, an inkjet printer uses a micro-fine spray of several ink colors that blend together to form the image, & it doesn't really have a sharply defined "dot" structure.

All this complexity is usually hidden from the user by the software, but it still exists. It is why some things may seem counterintuitive if you are not at least somewhat aware of it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7