You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shapekey-Snapping for Groups

Hey, 

I recently found out about Affinity Designer and I'm already in love with it. The snapping features are exceptional.

But I got one request. I frequently need to align shapes by positioning one anchor over another. If the objects are just lying around, this works great: I select all shapes, switch to the node-tool, re-select all nodes and drag the node I want to align.

ad01.PNG

If the objects I want to align are grouped, I have to doubleclick the group, select all grouped shapes one by one, switch  to the node tool and proceed as mentioned.

The problem is, that since there is no isolation mode, you have to select grouped shapes individually instead of just rectangle-select them.

There are two possible fixes: 

1) Selecting the node-tool while having a group selected will keep all grouped objects selected.

2) Having an isolation-mode for allowing quick re-selection of the grouped shapes.

Is there anything planned?

~Andrej

PS: I'm using Affinity Designer Beta on Windows

• Staff

Hi Andrej,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can also ⌘ (cmd) + ⇧ (shift) the object you want to select directly (without the group selected).

Pressing ⌘ (cmd) allows you to select an object directly no matter its layer hierarchy. Pressing ⇧ (shift) in this case will allow you to add additional objects to the selection.

Note: ⌘ (cmd) also displays measurements for the selected object so you will see them while performing the above steps.

Note sure if the pointed shortcuts also work the same way on Windows (i believe they do but have to confirm this).

Hey MEB,

thanks for the reply. I can select objects directly by holding control. And I can also select further objects holding shift. But the problem stays the same: I will have to select each object separately. As you can see in the attachment, there are two objects I want to align. The bottom shape consists of 3 groups. A group for the left wing, a group for the right wing and one group to keep the wings together.

As I want to move them all together while having the possibility to  let it snap to the center vertex, I need to have all shapes selected in node-mode. With the current implementation, I will have to select every object by node-tool-cmd-shift-clicking all 8 shapes. It would be much simpler if I could just drag a selection rectangle.

post-35140-0-46344900-1470826258_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Andrej,

I understood your issue. You're not the first reporting it. It also happens if the objects lay inside clipping masks (objects clipped by a parent object).

I already filled an improvement request for this sometime ago. But currently there's no way to do it on canvas other than using the process i described.

I´m updating the log to refer the latest Designer Beta version.

Thanks for your feedback/support.