You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HI Guys

I'm new to Affinity Designer and loving it. I recently retired from the design industry having used Adobe Creative Suite Since its inception and Quark Express before that, even going back as far as Aldus Pagemaker just to show my age haahaa.

Can anybody tell me, is it possible to add multiple pages so I can make a booklet?

Any help appreciated

Jeff

At the moment you can use artboards instead of pages - they export to PDF as separate pages, so should be sufficient for your needs (hopefully).

That ought to be OK if you're creating a PDF file for submission to a professional printer, but it isn't much use if you're printing the booklet yourself and you need pairs of pages correctly imposed.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

To create a booklet without an application specific command, there are some simple ways:

1. Unzip the attached file and put the File "PDF create Booklet.workflow" into this folder on your Mac: "Macintosh HD/Library/PDF Services". You can now access the "Make Booklet" command within the "Print" dialog in your "PDF" menu. For example: Open single page PDFs in "Preview.app", Go to "Print ->  PDF", choose "Create Booklet" and you are done.

Note: I hope, attaching the file is ok, because the author of this fine little and free extension is no longer reachable.

2. You may use the application "Create Booklet" from Apple’s AppStore

3. You may use this application http://bookletcreator.com

Booklet.zip

That ought to be OK if you're creating a PDF file for submission to a professional printer, but it isn't much use if you're printing the booklet yourself and you need pair of pages correctly imposed.

We think booklets warrant a whole other application, which will be Affinity Publisher in due course. Artboards as pages is really just a workaround until Publisher is available.

We think booklets warrant a whole other application, which will be Affinity Publisher in due course. Artboards as pages is really just a workaround until Publisher is available.

Well, in any case, Artboards work really well for Affinity Designer.  I used them to make my business cards, and now that they've just been professionally printed, they look bloody perfect!  Even if there were already a publisher app, Artboards would still be a great feature when you don't need to print a whole booklet and just need to design a few related images.  They make it easy to get two images to mirror one-another.

• 4 years later...
38 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

As I have the full set - Designer, Photo and Publisher, is one way to use multiple pages simply to open the Designer file in Publisher and go from there?

That sounds as though it should work. Since you have the full set, why not try it and report back? ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Paul Martin said:

As I have the full set - Designer, Photo and Publisher, is one way to use multiple pages simply to open the Designer file in Publisher and go from there?

Assuming your Designer file has Artboards, when you open the file in Publisher you will be asked if you want to convert the Artboards to Spreads (e.g, pages). If you say yes, you will have Pages. If you say no you will have Artboards, still, and they will behave as Artboards not as Pages.

Note that the conversion is one-way; if you convert the Artboards to Spreads you cannot go back to having Artboards in that document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Looks like moving Designer files to Publisher and using that as a container for multiple pages is a good option. I haven't delved into what the differences may be between "Deisgner inside Publisher" in terms of control.

I have put quite a bit of lockdown-time into using Designer which has been generally very positive. As a paid-up DrawPlus fan, I still find it a pain discovering what is "missing" in Affinity Designer, notably no scaling (hopeless for producing plans of real-world layouts) and autotrace (never all that good but sometimes handy). What I do get a buzz from is the sheer speed, smoothness and enormous magnification Designer provides. Publisher remains enigmatic for me because I am an Editor as well as layout artist, so I am still struggling with a "workflow" that has no in-programme text editor.

Footnote

I recently asked if there was a guide to using graphics tablets (a new XP-PEN Star G640S in my case). I got kind replies about installing drivers, but I meant in very broad terms "how do you use this pencil/paintbrush/chalk. What's it good for? When would try a different approach? Why would you bother?"  I realise this is something modern teenagers absorb with their mother's milk, but we sexagenarians have make a conscious effort.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2016 at 9:50 AM, MattP said:

Hi Jeff,

It's not possible to make multiple pages at present - this will come in time. At the moment you can use artboards instead of pages - they export to PDF as separate pages, so should be sufficient for your needs (hopefully).

Thanks,

Matt

So 4 years later I can't seem to find this yet. Was it ever implemented?

I need this to create multiple related assets for a game and don't want to use separate files or groups within the same document?

9 hours ago, ziplock9000 said:

So 4 years later I can't seem to find this yet. Was it ever implemented?

I need this to create multiple related assets for a game and don't want to use separate files or groups within the same document?

Which application?

Designer has Artboards that should do what you want. Publisher has Pages.

But Designer also has the Export Persona which may be useful for your project.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1