You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I get a vector shape into PS??

Hi!

So what I need to to be able to create a vector object within Designer and export a PSD file that within Photoshop is the vector object and its a shape layer. 

Is this possible?

I just want to get a editable vector shape into Photoshop (Photoshop is being a real jerk with getting vectors into the program as shapes... :P)

• Staff

PSD export should maintain all vector objects as shapes/curves in the PSD.

Depending on the fill type, you'll get different results.  Solid colours vector shapes will be fine.  If you add lines to the shapes, PSD export can handle them to a degree.  Dashed lines are a problem, solid ones are ok.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

oh wait I spoke too soon. Okay sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't know whats up with this.

heres the error I get when I export a PSD from Designer and then try to open it in PS CC (latest version).

Ive attached the PS exported file, standard settings from Designer. Pls try for yourself to open in PS CC.

post-22364-0-48986300-1470787613_thumb.png

clock spring testing.psd

Okay here's what I think is going on... so the Designer doc has a color calibration to ASUS set up, which is a weird default, so I set it to the standard sRGB and exported some PSD docs, and now PS can open them no problem.

You may want to have the check box in the export dialog "Compatibility Mode" auto-magically switch the Color Profile to a native PS format like that sRGB profile so it doesn't have this conflict. 

• Staff

Which version are you using, the MAS or the Beta?  There were a lot of PSD export fixes in the Beta.

There shouldn't be a problem with colour profiles.  PSD export should handle any profile you have.  We do swap the standard sRGB colour profile for an "approved" one when exporting to PSD (for some reason Photoshop doesn't use a common sRGB profile file).  This is just to ensure that Photoshop imports using the expected profile.  All other profiles should work as normal.

Try the latest Beta, and if you still have problems upload your test afdesign file here and I will look into it.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

When I try to open JA's file in Photoshop Elements 13, I get the same message about a disk error. Affinity Designer on Windows beta 1.5.0.10 tells me, "The file could not be parsed."

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)