You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

These tutorials are fantastic and really helped me

I have no association with Udemy or Simon Foster but I learned a TON at a slow but informative and entertaining pace.  

Can't recommend them enough. 

Thank you Simon !

https://www.udemy.com/affinityphoto-solid-foundations/

https://www.udemy.com/affinity-photo-raw-image-development/

It sure upped my game as a newbie to layered photo apps.

Jeff

Hi Rigger73. I'm not going to claim that my videos are 'that much better'. The in house videos are very good and it's for the people who write the reviews of my courses over at Udemy to say what they think of the courses, not me. That said, the average user rating for a digital photography course at Udemy is 4.3 out of 5. The Affinity Photo courses I have on there have, at the time of writing, all time averages of 4.65, 4.67, 4.78 and 4.83, for which I am very grateful.

I think the main difference between the in house courses & mine are that the in house courses do a very good job of explaining the features in Affinity Photo. My aim and philosophy is to explain how to develop & enhance images and in this instance I use Affinity photo to do so. I explain what you should do, in what order you should do things and why you would want to, along with a few gotchas on the way. And in this case I use Affinity Photo to do so. The way I look at it, given I've been a designer for over 25 years, why not put as much experience from that as possible into the videos, as well as what a particular button does.

But ultimately it's up to you. I hope I don't come across as loudly blowing my own trumpet here because I'm a not a natural marketing man & I find all that stuff a bit cringeworthy. I just wanted to explain how I tried to make my courses a bit different. If anyone who has done one of my courses decides to chip in with their own thoughts on the matter I'd welcome it.

Well said MattP! Oh, and for the record, a huge amount of respect from me for the in house videos.

I think a lot of companies bringing out software don't realise how important it is to have quality training videos to back up their software. I know that when I'm looking at new software one major factor for me is how good I perceive the training videos to be; the less time I spend scratching my head trying to figure things out the better.

I think Serif have really taken the bull by the horns with the in house videos. They are clear and informative, and it's clear that whoever created them knows about photography.

• Staff

No offence guys - but why pay £25 for a 3rd party tutorial, when Serif do their own in-house tutorial videos for AP?

Are these videos that much better?

Having a wider variety of learning material can never be a bad thing!

It's up to the individual user to determine which video set and teaching approach would benefit them most. Simon's tutorials go comprehensively into concepts and, as he's said, tend to look in more detail at the whys and hows in an image editing context rather than a per-app basis. The in-house videos will tend to look very closely at specific features, functionality and operations or techniques that may be unique to Photo.

A large-ish part of my job within Serif is to produce these in-house Photo videos and uphold the quality standards expected of them. External users produce tutorials either as their living or as a hobby, so it does make sense that they charge for their hard work to try and recoup the costs of making them. It's down to personal opinion but I think Simon's tutorials are incredibly reasonably priced considering what they offer.

The in-house video tutorials will always be constantly improving, updating and covering new features as they roll in via updates, but having community members who work hard to produce training content will always be invaluable and appreciated, as they are supporting the software and making it more accessible to a wider audience.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

but having community members who work hard to produce training content will always be invaluable and appreciated, as they are supporting the software and making it more accessible to a wider audience.

I agree. When I look online at training on 'other software', its saturated with tutorials. So it's nice to see so many creating content including myself for the Affinity Community.

I like others have their own style and content and I love to learn from others and love what James and the team are producing at HQ and love what Simon does with the in-depth information and techniques he shows, I know I've certainly learnt a thing or two and given me a few ideas...

As for value, well in my experience I certainly realise not everyone appreciates free content, as for paid content, think of it this way. What will it cost to have someone teach you privately £25 PH, more?

Just a few thoughts, but great to see the training community growing and working together... :D

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Hi again,

sorry - I've not run away hiding - I'm offshore working the nightshift - urgh!

I wasn't having a go at Drippy by any means - I also would like to be able to profit from my photography one day, so I can fully understand your perspective, Drippy.

I was asking on point of other customers - and yes, maybe it's cliched, but I was playing Devil's Advocate.  Free versus paid for content.

You have since my last post expanded on that a bit further, saying that you show a different work-flow, and you are passing on your experience.  I've nothing to hold against that.  I may look into this a bit further then.

It's also quite hard to argue against the Affinity dev team, when they give you their full support ;)

Hi Rigger73 & now I get the user name (and the owl? Night creature? Clever!),

Oh thank goodness! I'll wring out the towel I used for my tears & take the pins out of the wax doll. Ok; so me being flippant aside, absolutely no offence was taken and I know what a nightshift feels like so my sympathies.

I thought you asked a perfectly reasonable question. I should also say thank you because you did me a solid favour. I got the chance to explain what my courses are about in answer to a fair question. Tell you what; if you go here https://www.udemy.com/affinityphoto-solid-foundations/ and scroll down you'll see some reviews and hand on heart, I didn't bribe anybody. I tried to with the Affinity dev team but there's over a dozen of them and they get a bit precious with their demands. When one complained that the Porsche was the wrong shade of lavender I told him to go fix the colour in a decent image editor if he could find one and man! The pouting I got back?! Not worth it.

So all good things to you and I hope you're not feeling too knackered. I also hope we see some offshore rig photos at some point. I bet they'd be interesting...

That Porsche is still the WRONG DARN COLOUR!!!! Jeez...

I thought you were more of a Lotus man, anyways! :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Rigger73 & now I get the user name (and the owl? Night creature? Clever!),

Oh thank goodness! I'll wring out the towel I used for my tears & take the pins out of the wax doll. Ok; so me being flippant aside, absolutely no offence was taken and I know what a nightshift feels like so my sympathies.

I thought you asked a perfectly reasonable question. I should also say thank you because you did me a solid favour. I got the chance to explain what my courses are about in answer to a fair question. Tell you what; if you go here https://www.udemy.com/affinityphoto-solid-foundations/ and scroll down you'll see some reviews and hand on heart, I didn't bribe anybody. I tried to with the Affinity dev team but there's over a dozen of them and they get a bit precious with their demands. When one complained that the Porsche was the wrong shade of lavender I told him to go fix the colour in a decent image editor if he could find one and man! The pouting I got back?! Not worth it.

So all good things to you and I hope you're not feeling too knackered. I also hope we see some offshore rig photos at some point. I bet they'd be interesting...

Classic!

Liking the banter very much fella! :D   Get me a new Jag XJR - I'm not fussy, any colour, and I'll wax lyrical all you want ;)

As for the owl, Rigger and night-shift - there's a bit of a mix up.

I was an aviation mechanical engineer before going offshore - in the old bi-plane days, my trade used to tension or 'Rig' the wires between the wings.  Rigger still suits me as a handle/nickname - since I started offshore some 10 years ago.  The Owl just happens to be one of my better wildlife shots, and thankfully I'm not on nights permanently, we usually swap days to nights each trip away.

Once I'm more proficient with AP, then I'll upload a few sunset pics from the North Sea.  I can't take my DSLR, for fear of getting it damaged.  Small Canon SX710 and my Samsung S6 mobile phone - surprisingly decent camera firmware built in!  I can't upload from the ship either, as marine internet is very very slow - less than 5Kps on average :unsure:

... so that's a Jag in rainbow colours, a Porsche in puce and a bouquet of lotus flowers. Bribery has got a lot more expensive since Brexit. Oh; and yeah. I've taken some quite good pics on my Samsung S6.

So an aviation mechanical engineer and now working the rigs? Man! How many Yorkies do you chew through in a day?

... so that's a Jag in rainbow colours, a Porsche in puce and a bouquet of lotus flowers. Bribery has got a lot more expensive since Brexit. Oh; and yeah. I've taken some quite good pics on my Samsung S6.

So an aviation mechanical engineer and now working the rigs? Man! How many Yorkies do you chew through in a day?

None!  Coffee however!