You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

As a complete newbie to Affinity Photo (and with no PS experience) I would like to know if anyone can point me to a decent vimeo/youtube/whatever video tutorial on how to prepare a photo with CMYK output for silkscreening (with frequency&angles for each channel, +anything on adding single spot colors to a screenprint. There are a few on youtube for Photoshop but I have not been able to find anything comparable for Affinity Photo. Thanks for any help.

Harry22,

Hello and welcome to the forums. Sorry I don't know of a link to a video tutorial for how to prepare a photo for output but I do have a few questions. Are you a printer? I have worked in design and printing for a long time and normally the printer or whoever is going to make the film or the plates (or in your case the screens) deals with things like frequency and the angles. So if you aren't the printer, don't worry about it. If you are the printer, it begs the question, how are you a printer with no experience with Photoshop? My second question is, are you using a continuous tone image (a photo) or something like a logo with text? A lot of, if not most screen printing artwork would be better done using a vector program like Affinity Designer. If you have no experience with Photoshop you might not be completely aware of the differences between raster images (Photo/Photoshop) and vector programs (Designer/Illustrator)? Most screen printing shops use more vector art than raster art. Of course they do use raster art but in general they try to use vector art if they can. 

Good luck,

Hokusai

Thanks Hokusai. I'm not a printer (clearly - what, no Photoshop?) and will be happy to let the printer worry about it, but I remain curious and wish to learn as much as possible so that when I do talk to a printer I can take better advantage of his/her skills in order to achieve the output I want. As for raster vs vector, I am aware of the difference (at least in theory) and for the piece I am currently working on I will likely want to use a combination of a photo and text overlay. The text will need to be "wrapped around" the object that appears in the photo.

In any case, I figured I'd invest in learning Photo to start with.

I'm at the bottom of what looks to be a steep learning curve, and will be happy to take a look at any resources, online or otherwise, that you may wish to recommend. Thanks again.

Harry22   

I'm at the bottom of what looks to be a steep learning curve, and will be happy to take a look at any resources, online or otherwise, that you may wish to recommend.  

Take a look at James Ritson's Photo FAQs thread. The tutorial on displacement maps should be of particular interest if you're trying to wrap text around a 3D object.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Harry22,

Thanks for the explanation. You are wise to learn more about the printing process. Many designers don't bother and they end up making costly mistakes with designs (for example, I don't know how many designers don't know how pagination works). I wish I could point you to some great tutorials but unfortunately I don't know any. The tutorials found here on the Affinity site are a good place to start. There are many people here on these forums who have classes, make video tutorials and what not. If you search around you might be able to find what you are looking for. Alfred's suggestion would also be a great place as well. 

Best of Luck,

Hokusai