You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity - for Pro - Feedback

Hello,

I gave today another try to Affinity as Photoshop replacement. I am a pro photograph (so I have little time to waste). There are some good point, really:

- Fill "in-paiting": good and fast. And moreover, preview. Bravo!

- Works pretty well

Here my remarks and (constructive!) criticism:

- Selecting a tool using the keyboard is "bad". Because when one press a key, let's say "j", one does know know the selected tool. Indeed, each time one press a tool's key, it will change the tools inside the tools's group. To my mind, it's really bad. Make it like the other pressing the key select the tool inside, period. Pressing shift-key, change the tool inside the tools's group

- Selection using the L tool is ok. But you NEED a line type selection. One need to quickly select a geometrical object.

- Tiff multi-layered support. -> integration in DAM like Lightroom, CaptureOne...

- I was not able to correct perspective. I know I would use the move tool, but.. I could only scale and rotate..

- opening a 16bit gray Tiff, the picture is really too bright. The same picture is good in Preview, PS, etc..

- While adjusting something, let's say HSL, double click in the slider should reset it to 0.

- Do a selection and apply a layer (Let's say Curve). The layer will be applied to the selection... but how to I change it ? While not create a masked layer ?

- So I could build "path" (curve) , however, the path get destroy (!!) when doing a selection. And It's not possible to do more than one closed "path". This make some of our project impossible to achieve.. We really want to remove PS. make it possible

Keep going!

Thanks for listening

Take care

--
Nicolas DET
Fotografie
Les gens sont la clef

Event, Porträt, People, Hochzeit, ... Live
http://www.nicolas-det.eu

https://www.instagram.com/nicolas_det_fotografie/

- Selecting a tool using the keyboard is "bad". Because when one press a key, let's say "j", one does know know the selected tool. Indeed, each time one press a tool's key, it will change the tools inside the tools's group. To my mind, it's really bad. Make it like the other pressing the key select the tool inside, period. Pressing shift-key, change the tool inside the tools's group

YEAH

- Selection using the L tool is ok. But you NEED a line type selection. One need to quickly select a geometrical object.

Use pen tool - make mask or selection from it (toolbar at the top - left side), but new tools are also coming in AP 1.5

(Polygonal marquee)

- Tiff multi-layered support. -> integration in DAM like Lightroom, CaptureOne...

Coming in AD 1.5

- I was not able to correct perspective. I know I would use the move tool, but.. I could only scale and rotate..

Even a live perspective filter is available (but destructive as well, in the tools at the left side 

or layer > new live filter > perspective

- opening a 16bit gray Tiff, the picture is really too bright. The same picture is good in Preview, PS, etc..

You could file a bug report in the bug section and upload the image in question or send a PM with a dropbox link to MEB

- While adjusting something, let's say HSL, double click in the slider should reset it to 0.

YEAH

- Do a selection and apply a layer (Let's say Curve). The layer will be applied to the selection... but how to I change it ? While not create a masked layer ?

Just fill the mask that comes with any adjustment with white, paint it white, why would one do that at all (making a selection and apply an adjustment but NOT to this selection)? Seems more like a workflow issue to me

AP 1.5 beta https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/23384-affinity-photo-customer-beta-15-beta-1/?p=110075

okay I got the link, just, I´m not an official Affinity Moderator (not a Moderator at all :D )

thus I can not log issues for the developers to take a look at  :wacko: although that would certainly be cool  :D haha

so you would have to send the message to MEB please, if you wish to resolve that issue

MEB https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/user/59-meb/

EDIT:

to me it looks okay that your file opens in RAW, TIFF can somehow store RAW photos I guess

The keyboard shortcuts can be changed in preferences. So for example, if you use the inpainting tool a lot, you could assign K to it, effectively removing it from the "J" group. You can do this for any tool, but of course there are only so many keys available, particularly if you want to avoid awkward combinations with several modifiers, so you will have to decide what works best for you.

You can also assign a tool no keyboard shortcut, & use View > Customize tools to replace group tool icons with individual ones for each tool in the group. You can also change the number of columns in the Tools palette or undock it & move it anywhere on the screen that is convenient at the time.

The one thing you can't do is eliminate the 'last tool' toggle -- repeatedly tapping a single tool keyboard shortcut toggles between it & the last tool used. Personally, I find this very useful but if you do not, you could add an option to turn that off to the feature request list.

For the adjustments, each has a Reset & Delete button in its window. I find the Reset button easier to use than double-clicking on a slider would be because it is harder for me to place the pointer over the tiny slider 'knob' accurately than the larger button.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The one thing you can't do is eliminate the 'last tool' toggle

Another thing you can't do is define alternative keyboard shortcuts without replacing the original ones. For example, Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V are standard Windows shortcuts for cut and paste, but Shift+Delete and Shift+Insert are also standard Windows shortcuts for the same functions. Affinity's shortcut customization doesn't allow for this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi nicoppc,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :) 

Where is the TIFF coming from? Are you exporting it from a DAM software?

Can you please upload it somewhere and PM me the link please?

All files will be deleted after being checked.

Regarding your last question:

Do a selection and apply a layer (Let's say Curve). The layer will be applied to the selection... but how to I change it ? While not create a masked layer ?

All Adjustements/Filters have a built in mask you can use to control how they affect the image without you having to create independent masks for each one. You can edit them like a regular mask layer. If the Adjustment filter is nested to the original layer, expand it clicking on the arrow near the layer's thumbnail in the Layers panel then click on the adjustment or filter's thumbnail to select it. You can then use the Paint Brush Tool to paint over the (greyscale) mask while it's still active. If you prefer to see the mask as a greyscale image while you edit it (rather than with the adjustment filter active), press ⌥ (option/alt) and click over the adjustment/filter's thumbnail in the Layers panel.

If the adjustment layer is not nested to the image layer you can select it clicking (anywhere) on its layer.

Another thing you can't do is define alternative keyboard shortcuts without replacing the original ones. For example, Ctrl+X and Ctrl+V are standard Windows shortcuts for cut and paste, but Shift+Delete and Shift+Insert are also standard Windows shortcuts for the same functions. Affinity's shortcut customization doesn't allow for this.

I am assuming, maybe incorrectly, from the "Photoshop replacement" comment that we are talking about Affinity Photo, which currently is only available for the Mac. On a Mac, Shift + Delete can be assigned as a shortcut, which I found quite surprising because entering it in the preference field makes it look empty.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am assuming, maybe incorrectly, from the "Photoshop replacement" comment that we are talking about Affinity Photo, which currently is only available for the Mac. On a Mac, Shift + Delete can be assigned as a shortcut, which I found quite surprising because entering it in the preference field makes it look empty.

In AD on Windows, if I try to replace Ctrl+X with Shift+Delete, I get one of two useless outcomes. If I press and hold Delete first, nothing happens; if I press and hold Shift first, I see 'Shift+' in the box but my Delete keypress is ignored. In both cases, the box goes back to displaying 'Ctrl+X' when I release the keys.

Shift+Insert can be assigned as a shortcut, the only problem being (as I mentioned in my previous post) that it replaces the default Ctrl+V shortcut instead of supplementing it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 years later...