You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to Read Tiff Files After Exporting!!

Which app are you using? Is it a beta version?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can duplicate this only with OS X 10.11.6 for 16 bit TIFFs, & the images are black only in certain apps like Preview that rely on Apple API's to read the file.

I sent one of these images to a developer I know & he tells me this does not happen with the Sierra version of OS X now in development, so the 16 bit bug seems to be in OS X 10.11.6, not Affinity.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

This happens with 8bit as well! 

It does not happen on my Macs with 8 bit tiffs, only with 16 bit ones created as exports from Affinity, & only when running OS X 10.11.6. Others have reported the same thing, & that the 16 bit tiff exports of some other apps as similarly affected. See for example TIFF files not displayed by OS X 10.11.6 in the Bugs forum for a long discussion about this.

I don't know why you see this with 8 bit tiffs. Have you tried resetting the app?

Affinity Photo 

Glad to hear it's not happening on your MAC however it's happening on both my iMAC and MacBook running 10.11.6, they will NOT display 8 or 16bit files correctly. No problem with PS CS6, creates16 or 8bit files, no problem. I did completely uninstall and reinstall Affinity and the problem still exists! Seems that there is a serious bug in AP since there were no issues until I updated OSX.

Resetting the app is not the same as uninstalling & reinstalling it.

If this was a bug in Affinity it would not affect other apps, like the ones mentioned in the Bugs forum topic, nor is it likely it would it affect 8 bit tiff exports only for some users but not others.

Affinity Photo 

Ok, so resetting doesn't work either! Call it what you want, glitch, bug, whatever, worked prior to the OSX update now it doesn't! So back to PS until it works once again!

There are two different issues here:

One, which affects everyone using OS X 10.11.6, is that 16 bit tiffs created with Affinity or at least one other app appear as all black, all white, or black with lines when opened in certain apps like Preview, & in Finder or Quick Look views, but not when opened in Affinity or certain other apps. This appears to be due to a security related patch in 10.11.6 in the Apple ImageIO API that changes the way OS X processes tiled Tiffs.

The other, which apparently affects just a few users, is that 8 bit tiffs created with Affinity also appear as all black, but it is not clear if this applies to opening them with all image processing apps or just some like Preview.

It now seems pretty clear that the first is due to a bug in OS X 10.11.6. This bug apparently has been fixed in recent beta versions of 10.12 Sierra, so once it is finished & released to the public, installing that OS X version should eliminate this issue.

The cause of the second issue is not clear. It might be caused by some local problem like a conflict with user installed software or a corrupted system file or the like, or it might be a bug in Affinity that for some non-obvious reason only affects Macs with certain hardware configurations or something like that. If the cause is a local one, it may persist even after installing a new version of OS X or of Affinity.

Affinity Photo 

You say second issue, yet both 8bit and 16bit  generate black squares, which are unreadable with any app including PS.

Although it very well may be the OSX update, I'm pretty confident that both issues are one in the same since it was working just fine prior.

Regardless, I need 16bit files and AP has been rendered completely useless, to me until this issue is corrected. Back to PS I guess, which for some reason the OSX update didn't affect.

You say second issue, yet both 8bit and 16bit  generate black squares, which are unreadable with any app including PS.

Not for most users.

Affinity Photo 

R C-R, please hear us out. Your responses come off as argumentative.

The problem IS with Affinity Photo because TIFFs generated by other applications don't have this issue.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Import a .NEF file into Apple Aperture and export it as a 16-bit TIFF. Find the exported TIFF in Finder and notice that it displays perfectly. Press space to see a larger preview and all is well.

2. Open a .NEF file in Nikon's Capture NX-D and Convert Files to pull up the export dialog. Export as a 16-bit TIFF (with or without LZW compression, doesn't matter). Find the exported TIFF in Finder and notice that it displays perfectly. Press space to see a larger preview and all is well.

Notice that's two apps that export TIFFs that OS X has no problem rendering.

3. Open one of those TIFFs in Affinity Photo, make some edits, and save it. It should overwrite the source file. Go find the TIFF in Finder and notice that it's a black square.

4. Open some other TIFF in Affinity Photo, make some edits, and this time export it as a TIFF. Go find the TIFF in Finder and notice that it's a black square again.

Two other apps with no problem exporting valid TIFFs; Affinity Photo is the only app that has a problem here.

Chris

Mac OS X v10.11.6 (15G31)

Affinity Photo v1.4.2

Apple Aperture v3.6 (500021000000000.3)

Nikon Capture NX-D v1.4.1

chriscalo,

It is not true that Affinity Photo is the only app that has this problem. See for example twohoots's reply in the previously mentioned thread. Also consider that this problem only occurs with OS X 10.11.6. Prior to 10.11.6 it was not a problem, & it is not a problem with the beta builds of OS X 10.12.

For OS X 10.11.6, Apple changed how tiled tiff image data is buffered to correct a security issue. Tiffs can store image data as tiles or strips. This problem seems to occur only with tiled tiffs above a certain size, suggesting that Apple made an error in how tiled tiff image buffer overflows are handled in OS X 10.11.6, which they have corrected in OS X 10.12.

Affinity Photo 

Yes, some developer does need to fix it! Unfortunately, PSD's  don't work with my clients. Seems that all this finger pointing is directed at OSX, instead of fixing the issue. Funny, PS, Capture One and even my Hasselblad software all work fine, exporting TIFF, its only AP that is rendered useless, with the latest OSX update!

The finger pointing is directed at OS X because the problem only occurs when users are running version 10.11.6. It does not occur with version 10.11.5 or less or with the 10.12 betas.

Affinity Photo 

Glad to hear it's not happening on your MAC however it's happening on both my iMAC and MacBook running 10.11.6, they will NOT display 8 or 16bit files correctly. No problem with PS CS6, creates16 or 8bit files, no problem. I did completely uninstall and reinstall Affinity and the problem still exists! Seems that there is a serious bug in AP since there were no issues until I updated OSX.

ditto here. Export other file formats works but not TIFF -- either 8bit or 16bit. Seems like a library problem to me.

Michael

Yep, it's rendered AP completely useless for me, since all my work is done in 16bit TIFF files. You would think that this would be a priority with AP especially if their targeting the pro community, however, I guess they want to leave it up to Apple, even though PS and Capture One export TIFF files just fine, on my end.

ditto here. Export other file formats works but not TIFF -- either 8bit or 16bit. Seems like a library problem to me.

Michael, just as an experiment, please try exporting an image with relatively small pixel dimensions, say no more than 800 px by 1000 px, & see if this issue still occurs.

I don't know what you mean about a "library problem," as this does not affect anyone not running OS X 10.11.6, as far as I am aware. Are you running 10.11.6 or any other OS X version?

Affinity Photo 

Yep, it's rendered AP completely useless for me, since all my work is done in 16bit TIFF files. 

Well you can always export a PSD then open Photoshop to export it as 16bit TIFF! :P

(just kidding of course)

I have no doubt they will get to the bottom of this, but it is August and vacation season still has a few more weeks to go. Let's see what happens after Sept 1.

Michael

Sorry, but I find it is a little bit to easy to show on OS X. It could be an answer if all the programs would have the same problem. But I have made a try with pixelmator and it works without problems.  From Aperture to Pixelmator, make the changes and save. The changed picture is in Aperture and not like by Affinty "not supported format".

You have to solve the problem and not to wait to a hypothetical solution with the next OS update.

Thanks to make our work possible.

I am using Affinity Photo as an external editor of APERTURE.

The pictures in the Aperture catalogue are in NIKON NEF (NIKON D750) format .
Aperture is configured to export the RAW image to become an 8 bit .TIF file.

CMD+S will save the edited file in the Aperture library.

There are image files that will not be readable by Aperture.

When I crop the picture first, then edit it, the saved image will be readable by Aperture. I must wait about 30 seconds before I exit Affinity Photo. The CPU activity rises from 1% to 15% while saving, then it drops to 1%. Should I quit Affinity Photo before the activity drops to 1%, the picture is not usable by Aperture.