You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 1)

Next Bug :unsure:

I wanted to make a few HDR-Photos, that i shot yesterday. (i wanted to make a panorama of 7 HDR Photos - three jpg pictures each HDR)

4 of 7 HDR-Photos were created correctly, but the 5th of them couldn't be created. I see a statusbar named "Tone Map" 100%... and then, after an amount of time, my mac os ran out of memory, and want to stop AP directly. After that i want to restart AP, but AP doesn't open up again and i also can't restart mac os becaus AP is started. I also can't close AP with APPLE+Command+ESC.

After a hard reset (power off), i started AP and want to create this HDR by a second try. In activity monitor i saw, that AP takes more and more memory... up to 80GB of RAM, before it is stopped by mac os. And then... same procedure...

Hope this helps... ;)

We examined a number of algorithms - including the ones you suggest - but they all appeared to be earlier / less capable versions of the two we have shipped..

That said, if there is a good reason to implement others - we will certainly do our best to oblige!

I tend to think that xBRZ algorithm creates better results than HQX, which you have implemented. Please, see attached example - the three fish at the top are examples taken from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art_scaling_algorithms), the bottom two fish are resized with AP algorithms. I would say that xBRZ (compared to Affinity HQX) is smoother - see the white belly line, spot on the nose or on the back, outlines of the fins...

Is there a chance to have xBRZ (2x to 6x) added and/or that xBRZ would replace Affinity's HQX algorithm?

I continue to be surprised at the number of Photo users who do pixel art - there are thousands of you!! That's why we added this feature - along with the improvements to the Pixel Tool listed in the 1.5 Beta launch post. We think the Alt-Drag-To-Paint-From-History is especially handy - let us know if it works for you :)

I can't figure out what the "Alt-Drag-To-Paint-From-History" means or how it works. Any help, please? :)

post-3178-0-69860300-1471555309_thumb.jpg

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

I wanted to make a few HDR-Photos, that i shot yesterday. (i wanted to make a panorama of 7 HDR Photos - three jpg pictures each HDR)

4 of 7 HDR-Photos were created correctly, but the 5th of them couldn't be created. I see a statusbar named "Tone Map" 100%... and then, after an amount of time, my mac os ran out of memory, and want to stop AP directly. After that i want to restart AP, but AP doesn't open up again and i also can't restart mac os becaus AP is started. I also can't close AP with APPLE+Command+ESC.

After a hard reset (power off), i started AP and want to create this HDR by a second try. In activity monitor i saw, that AP takes more and more memory... up to 80GB of RAM, before it is stopped by mac os. And then... same procedure...

Hope this helps... ;)

This also happened to me. AP got stuck at 'creting tone map' and had to shut down to prevent my mac from exploding. As in toto's issue, many photos were open in different tabs (ten, I think). Maybe I was pushing my little mac mini beyond its limits.

Regards;

Val

Hope this helps... ;)

This issue is now corrected in AP Beta 3 :)

Thanks

AP crashes if "Dust & Scrtches Filter" is used in combination with "Clarity Filter"... I didn't try another combination of Filter-Layers.

Another Bug: Saving a file in HDR-Persona results in undoing any customization of the image. Activating/Deactivating for example "Exposure" will bring back any customization of the image.

In HDR-Persona every translation to german is missing.

Sorry for my bad english... it's only german shool-english ;-)

Sorry, this bug is not corrected in Beta 3. :(  I'll try to reproduce this step by step in Beta 3 later. For now, i have tried to reproduce this issue with a file, saved in Beta 1.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, this bug is not corrected in Beta 3. :(  I'll try to reproduce this step by step in Beta 3 later. For now, i have tried to reproduce this issue with a file, saved in Beta 1.

Ok, this bug seems to be corrected now in Beta 5.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Batch works great on this beta Photo 1.5 (beta 6), except it doesn't work if files reside on a RAID zero external drive.  Coincidently my Adobe Photoshop CC crashes accessing RAID zero volumes.  I have three different RAID systems and can run in USB3 or Thunderbolt, it makes no difference.  I have tried Apple RAID drivers and SoftRAID® 5.5.5. drivers too, all to no avail.  I am running mac OS 10.12.4 (developer) but same issue with GM of 10.12.  I am using a Mac Pro six core.

By the way, I am seeing a 50% drop (and far more in some cases) in file size of the exact same layered image between .psd file and .afphoto file format!  How are you achieving this?  Given many of my files are >200MB this is truly awesome. Edit: One way I can see this is occurring (but not all it really is making any image's file smaller) is any layers are reduced to the size they are in the image, in .psd they retain their full potential size which if resizing in the future maybe crucial.  So this is good to reduce file size but dangerous if you don't know about this.  Is this selectable in preferences somewhere or baked in?

One other small thing... for some reason if this beta is running and you use Finder to 'open with' and select the same beta it opens a second iteration of the application rather than a second document in the one running.

• 10 months later...
On 5.8.2016 at 8:59 PM, Andy Somerfield said:

Purpose: New features, fixes, improvements

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: 1.5 Beta 1 Here

This is an early beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.5 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.4 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

With all that said, here is a list of all the new things we can do with 1.5. This will be a fairly short beta (approx. 6 weeks) and things will likely be bad / broken for the the first week or two. After that, we expect the beta to become more stable and usable.

Please understand that all betas must start somewhere - and that they are beta for a reason!

Thanks once again for taking the time to download and use our beta :) - here's the list:

Layer Linking [NOT IMPLEMENTED YET]

Layer linking will happen in 1.5 - at the moment it is currently not exposed in this beta. Look out for it soon though - it should set the benchmark for how linked layers should work in a raster editor.. More on this soon!

Thanks again for taking the time to use this beta!

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

are linked layers deprecated? (they are apparently not on the roadmap anymore)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/45227-promised-and-forgotten/#comment-227449

hope I'm missing something... ?!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.