Hello!

I'm new around these parts (first post) so I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered. I did some searching, but I couldn't find anything regarding this. My question is:

How does one merge or combine a self intersecting path/curve (to make a compound path) in Affinity Designer?

I design type and it's desirable—crucial really—to overlap a shape/path within itself for maximum flexibility and ease of manipulation while working. Unfortunately, when it comes time to combine the final artwork I'm left with compound holes where the paths intersect themselves.  :(

I've attached an example of what I'm referring to.

I've tried all of the options that can think of (Geometry, Create Compound, etc.), but none seem to work. I'm assuming that this is just the way paths combine in AD, but I'm desperately hoping that there's another technique that I'm missing.

Also, I love AD thus far. Great work!

Thanks for your help!  :D

post-31691-0-58288600-1470419787_thumb.png

I think you should be able to do what you want by changing the Fill Mode at the bottom of the Layers menu to "Winding (Non-Zero)" for each of the shapes.

However, while that works great for each shape, when they are combined (with the Add operation) the holes reappear, because the Fill Mode is set back to "Alternate (Even-Odd)" & greyed out so you can't change it.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Thanks R C-R for the suggestion. I appreciate you helping out. Unfortunately, no luck with that.

The fill mode is correct when the shape is drawn (Winding), but—like you pointed out—it reverts back (Alternate) when combined. It can't be changed because it's a new compound shape.

I just need a big "Make-What-I-See" button  :)

How much extra work is too much? 

You can break the shape before each crossover, Join Curves on a couple of spline pairs... then Add everything.

(basically it's making it so there really are no self crossovers....... I know, I know  :rolleyes: )

Thanks R C-R for the suggestion. I appreciate you helping out. Unfortunately, no luck with that.

The fill mode is correct when the shape is drawn (Winding), but—like you pointed out—it reverts back (Alternate) when combined. It can't be changed because it's a new compound shape.

I just need a big "Make-What-I-See" button  :)

Winding seems to get lost when using boolean operations too. Another user made a feature request about this here. I'm going to report this to our devs to see if this can be improved.