You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Public Beta - 1.5.0.10 (Windows)

Purpose: Performance

Requirements: None

Download: Here

As this is a beta release, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.5 cannot be opened in 1.4, which means files created with the Windows beta cannot be opened in the Mac AppStore version of Designer, instead you will need the latest macOS beta.

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Performance

Rendering of the document is now much faster, especially for high contention situations such as typing text, or transforming objects or curves nodes. We now make much more use of the CPU(s), and as such, we may be hitting 100% usage during certain situations. This is entirely intentional, and expected.

Fixes

• Fixed crash when attempting to save to removed storage devices
  • Fixed crash at startup after renaming the executable (or running from Winstep Nexus Dock)
  • Fixed being unable to paste internal text using paste special
  • Fixed incorrect margins being retrieved from printers
  • Added restrictions on slice names to avoid failures when exporting
  • Fixed Export not warning about rasterising for vector export
  • Fixed text not printing correctly
  • Fixed Help window resizing
  • Fixed History panel not selecting latest action when invisible
  • Fixed Layer panel lock icon always looking enabled.
  • Fixed Layer panel continuously redrawing
  • Reject assets which contain embedded documents as we have no solution for this at present
  • Fixed creating assets from symbols
  • Fixed marching ants when zoomed in past 100% in pixel mode
  • Groups now scale with aspect ratio by default
  • Fixed Undo/Redo of Artboard repositioning breaking if you use the History panel
  • Fixed printing and vector export of strokes with brushes

You're on fire B)

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

This version is mainly for performance improvements

Version 1.5.0.10 is loading considerably faster here. Thank you.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Alright, a quick bug report. All shortcuts involving Ctrl will stop working after changing the IME from Dvorak and US back and forth.

i.e. I cannot Ctrl + J after accidentally pressed Ctrl + Shift 2 times ( Dvorak -> US -> Dvorak )

Intel NUC Gen 8 i7-8559U, 32G RAM, Win 10 Version 1809 Build 17763.379

Alright, a quick bug report. All shortcuts involving Ctrl will stop working after changing the IME from Dvorak and US back and forth.

i.e. I cannot Ctrl + J after accidentally pressed Ctrl + Shift 2 times ( Dvorak -> US -> Dvorak )

Thanks, we'll take a look.

At 100% usage, your computer may be, too... ;)

Killed it already ... but only reach ~31% CPU, I need more power, I am waiting and I have a ghost-slider that is sooo important, that it is displayed in front of every application :D

I only wanted to configure my grid gutter while "setting your Affinity Logo on fire" ... maybe the program doesn't like that ;)

001.png

002.png

.... it's still calculating with ~31% CPU ... still not finished ... had to kill the process ^^

BURN!

ad_900.png

ad.afdesign

post-33131-0-25676900-1470428930_thumb.png

post-33131-0-07281900-1470428935_thumb.png

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

Hi,

The 0.10 beta still has problems with the tool mouse pointer (arrow, pencil etc). It's got something to do with drawing tablet input. When using tools with my regular mouse the tool pointers work fine, when using my bamboo tablet as input the pointer doesn't update when switching tools. 

0.10 slightly faster (between 7 and 8 sec) to load/open than 0.09, 0.08 and 0.06 (10 sec) but not as fast as 0.07, 0.05 and earlier (5 sec).

Adobe CS6 apps load times remain consistent at 5 sec and ACDSee Canvas X 16 at sub 3 sec (between 2 to 3 sec).

All timings based on tiles single click in Windows 10 Start.

There's been no changes to my system during the beta series (fonts, apps other than the AP betas etc). Windows 10 anniversary update has not yet reached down under - thank goodness!    :)  

ASUS ROG G750JS - i7-4700HQ - Nvidia GeForce GTX 870M - 16G RAM - Windows 10 (Designer installed on SSD)

In previous betas Affinity Designer would auto generate a Swatch pallet for the document, has this been removed from 1.5.0.10 as it's no longer listed on the swatches drop down and one has to manually create a pallet from the document

Thank you very much for a so quick new update and very specially for emphasize about performance.

I've found a problem related to symbols and booleans, tho... It's simple, if I create a simple nondestructive boolean and I make a symbol of the resulting "Compound" object, instances don't get updated in viewport when you make changes like translate points, etc, while for simple symbols not containing any booleans at all, changes are propagated instantly and as expected. Also, I've been getting some crashes while manipulating this kind of objects and/or their symbols that I'd say well could be related (one crash report at least, the one I obtained while saving, has been already sent to you by means of the application when asked).

I could attach a simple sample file if needed. BTW... is there a preferred way to make attachments here? I thought I could directly upload them by means of some forum functionality, but I'm not able to find it yet * ...Anyway, I hope it helps and greetings!

* OK, I figured it out :), so there it is the try me... Just create a symbol based on the Compound object and then insert it anywhere. Select the "Node Tool" and start translating some points or handles of the original. You'll see how changes are not real-time propagated, even the "Sync" button is (of course) pressed.

AD1.5.0.10W_symbols-&-booleans_20160806-0239_try-me.afdesign

System: CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo T7700 @ 2.40GHz || RAM: 4 GB (DDR2-SDRAM) || GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (512 MB) || HDD: TOSHIBA (500 GB, 8 MB) || OS: Windows 10 Pro (x64) || OTHER: MSI Laptop - 17" (1920 x 1200 px)

Not sure if this is the place to post it or not but starting with 1.5.0.08, I've been getting an Unhandled Exception crash on startup. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help and it unfortunately continues in 1.5.0.10. The application gets far enough into startup to let me know if an update is available or to realise that it's crashed and give me the option to send in a report but right after that, it will crash again. I've attached the crashlog and a screencap of the error. Hope this helps. I know beta is beta. :) Cheers!

673d9572-3680-4d4e-a19b-c0a80379630d.dmp

post-33634-0-38249200-1470453768_thumb.png

Gerry Corcoran/Parallax Abstraction

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Blog | YouTube | Twitch

Loads and navigates an AI technical illustration very well that I could not edit in 1.5.0.8,

Still a little slow, but a BIG usable improvement.

I will test the Export to PDF output in a few days when I get back to my workplace.

• Fixed Layer panel continuously redrawing

If that refers to this bug, it still isn't fixed. :(

post-8358-0-67999500-1470465598_thumb.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

0.10 slightly faster (between 7 and 8 sec) to load/open than 0.09, 0.08 and 0.06 (10 sec) but not as fast as 0.07, 0.05 and earlier (5 sec).

We've not made any improvements to the loading time. It's using Affinity after the app is loaded which is faster. Specifically, rendering to the screen, typing text, etc.

I just updated to Windows 10 Anniversary Update and now have installed 1.5.0.10.  It crashes everytime on opening.  It asked if I wanted to send a crash report, I click "YES" and it crashed again.

I've included screen shots of the dialog I get on opening and the crash box I get after I click YES or NO.

post-33793-0-34192900-1470522082_thumb.png

post-33793-0-40707000-1470522083_thumb.png