You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I love it if there was a way to script affinity products.

JavaScript or Lua or anything really.  Ideally all features would be scriptable so I could use Affinity to generate stuff or build actions or load/export a bunch of files. I don't need personally need a UI to get started though I'm sure some folks would love an Actions palette

• 3 weeks later...

Yes people are requesting API/Scripting... they will not touch Affinity designer with out it. I attempted to suggest Affinity designer to some motion designer colleagues and the answer was w/o API/Scripting support they will not use Affinity Designer. 

It isn't worth their time otherwise. Love what you guys have done so far and I want to see Affinity Designer grow just as much as you guys. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Scripting is a feature which every professional designer that I personally know actually wants, so definitely +1 for scripting!!!

High-End Photographic Prints

Javascript would be my preference, due to the sheer amount of information / resources available online.

JET_Affinity,

Any chance of  sharing what those "new features" are, as I'm curious? :) :)

You can always send me a private message, if you prefer.

Yes, I know - I'm interested in what new features he added by Javascript.

• 1 year later...

Proper scripting support would be a massive boon for Affinity Photo/Designer imo.

Deep integration to allow addition of tools/export options/personas etc. as well would be incredible as it would enable the community to develop/add features needed by only certain people. I feel that blender's Addon-on system works very well in this regard, especially with the ability to have 'officially supported' addons.

In the future, if this became powerful enough if would also enable the developers to create addons themselves that are useful features, included as standard, but disabled so that it doesn't slow the app down etc.

I see javascript being the best language choice, due to it being known by people coming from photoshop/illistrator, although my personal preference would probably be on Python

I also would like to see a scripting support. In my opinion a real professional software should support at the very least scripting and ideally plug-ins/addons. I often keep coming across problems/annoyances that could be solved by scripting. Macros are extremely limited.

I also vote for python.

• 1 year later...

Hi! I'd like to join this discussion as well. Sometimes I come across problems that could be easily (or really quickly) solved with scripting but otherwise require a lot of manual labour. I think support for this would really come in handy a bunch of times.

Since many have started casting votes on languages as well, I'd vote for JavaScript (even TypeScript, or maybe just TS definitions for the API as it can be super helpful :) ). If it would end up being Python, I wouldn't mind that either, but I'd rather stay with JS/TS.

• 7 months later...

Add it, please. Macros are too limited for any serious work. Above anything else you can't edit them... Why save them in a binary format?

JS would be the perfect choice, already present in MacOS and Windows. But any cross platform language could work (Lua maybe?)

Not AppleScript, please. Too verbose...!

Yes, please implement some scripting possibilities into Affinity Photo or make the batch more versatile and quick.

I have tried "New Batch Job..." then applying a self recorded macro for inpainting (replacing) the tripods in panoramas nadir shots.

The problem is that the "New Batch Job" window does load all images in the UI to create thumbs (which is unnecessary) instead of eating the filenames only or a foldername that contains the images. This loading takes ages and gets very slow when loading many very large exr panoramas.

When loading lets say 70 panoramas Affinity renders to "Not responding". snap428.thumb.jpg.2cbc575689e2d04e2ee538474f8dba21.jpg

After 15 minutes Affinity Photo has finished thumbnail creation and lists  all 70 files in the batch.

I have no objection at all that processing the batch job takes a lot of time (this is the nature of batch jobs) but setting it up should work more fluently.

Additionally I would love an option in the Batch Job to "Save as a copy" in the same folder with adding a suffix.

• 2 months later...

Just bumping this to voice my request for scripting features. In particular I dearly miss the ability to load/save/import/export files via shortcut, something the macro recorder does not allow.

Also taking the opportunity to ask that if scripting is going to be added then please choose a language that is not locked down to one specific OS and ideally is a standard you can already find lots of resources to learn for. *cough* Python *cough* :)

+1 for scripting, it's a must have feature for game devs and probably one of the major reasons companies would never use AP over PS since there are pipelines in place in a lot of studios for saving textures out. Especially when using CryEngine/Lumberyard.

Python would also be my choice language as it's used in so many other applications (blender, maya etc).