You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grid stitching absolutely works!

Frank Jonen

So I tried some simple grid stitching to see if that works properly now in AP.

And YEP, worked really well. Barely had to make manual corrections to the stitch.

The shooting setup was as below.

X1   |   Y1

—————

X2   |   Y2

https://500px.com/photo/166244289

It's a great way to cover a wider POV without sacrificing distance to object and perspective.

So I tried some simple grid stitching to see if that works properly now in AP.

And YEP, worked really well. Barely had to make manual corrections to the stitch.

The shooting setup was as below.

X1   |   Y1

—————

X2   |   Y2

https://500px.com/photo/166244289

It's a great way to cover a wider POV without sacrificing distance to object and perspective.

your panoramas do have quite a distinct style, really nice  :rolleyes:

Not so sure about your map of the shooting setup though, if you could further a bit on that I´m sure it would be really interesting :D 

anyway, keep up the good work :)  

Thanks  :D

As for the setup. I put a before and after together which also has the parts lined up at the bottom.

post-33173-0-18488600-1470437972_thumb.jpg

I shot X1, tilted down, shot X2, then the same for the right side. This was out of necessity to avoid people in the shot as I wasn't alone in the place. Having a room to yourself there is rather expensive, so just I waited bit. Not ideal when doing a sequence, especially since I had a shot in between and changed position slightly.  :) But it all worked out fine in the end.

If you want to do something like this, keep in mind to leave padding to the bottom as well as the sides. I always go for 30% padding now for this lens/sensor combination, so I don't have to deal much with lens curvature. De-lensing in the RAW converter adds one level of distortion, stitching adds a second level of distortion. When I keep the distortion to one level I don't need to de-noise as I won't have distorted noise features overlapping.

post-33173-0-18488600-1470437972_thumb.jpg

but you stay in the same position?

you just point the camera to different directions? 

I thought you were moving the camera 

like shooting one up and one down and then move a bit to the side and shoot another one up and down, something like that.

thanks for your answer, you´ll probably be a huge fan of the 1.5 update with 32 bit and this tone mapping going on  :D 

btw - you could have also used stacking to remove people in the shot but waiting a bit and getting the shot directly is always a good idea so that you know that you nailed it  :)   

Yeah staying in the same position is ideal. Then move the camera around its nodal point as closely as you can. I move from the shoulders and keep hands and arms fairly locked when doing handheld ones. That gets me a fairly even centre of rotation. 

I moved my position because there were tourists wanting to go where I was blocking the space, to go to the other side of the room. Going back to where I was standing almost worked because of the sandy floor. In general, hold your position.

Stacking works well but I always try to keep the amount I shoot as low as I reasonably can. Usually less than 5 shots to get the one I want. Used to be around 20 :) 

I do have some images I want to redo with 1.5 to get some thicker images out of a set of RAWs from Capture One (using the highlight/shadows tool to pull different detail levels to fake separate exposures). That works fairly well when I do it with PTGUI Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice :) I find Affinity handles tile/grid panoramas better than Lightroom, and LR is slow/clunky when it comes to stitching the larger ones (and it also can't/won't stitch anything but .dng files together). And if my panorama is too large for Affinity to handle, I'll create two (or more) horizontals inside Panorama Maker 5 and then stitch those results with Affinity Photo. Where I find Affinity lacks is in stitching Milkyway photo's together. It'll do fine if there's a bit of landscape in the image, but as soon as you have sky to sky, it can't find panoramas.

GOod job on your work! :)

FInd me at:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GM-Photography-142947659079869/

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gmphotography32/

or my personal website, not kept frequently up to date: www.gmphotography.ca

I use Affinity Photo, Lightroom, Panorama Maker 5, and Photomatix for my photography.