You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know I've suggested a similar feature, but all this talk of smoothing curves brought this up in my mind; in addition to a tool to smooth a curve, Affinity Designer should also have the opposite.  I am of course referring to Midpoint Displacement, which would allow illustrators to make non-uniform curves more easily than having to draw each node individually.

a210061408df983e.gif

Being able to smooth curves is indeed important, but as it is, it's really hard to produce a line that doesn't look uniform, and a roughening tool to add pseudorandom midpoint displacement would make illustrating much less time-consuming.

Big +1

Now that's the stuff. There's a few occasions (sometimes a lot) when I need to have roughened curves for a word balloon (like when the person's in pain, or a demon's talking, for example). Normally I just roll up my sleeves and just do it in AD, because I won't go back to the big A. But a feature like this would be quite the time-saver for comic letterers. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Big +1

Now that's the stuff. There's a few occasions (sometimes a lot) when I need to have roughened curves for a word balloon (like when the person's in pain, or a demon's talking, for example). Normally I just roll up my sleeves and just do it in AD, because I won't go back to the big A. But a feature like this would be quite the time-saver for comic letterers. 

I imagine many aspects of comicbook illustration would be easier if you could draw a rough line quickly.

Here are examples of possible roughen effects that work on vector shapes. In the two applications that I used to create these, the effects remain live and can be stacked for combinations.

These should provide food for thought for the developers.

kuudd.jpg

It's good to know that we're not the only ones who think this'd be useful.  I think it's a great idea for it to be a non-destructive property.  I'd also like to add that you should be able to bake roughening the same way you do with corners so you can then make more precise edits afterward.

+1...this is an effect that can help a lot to make lines look less digital and more like hand drawn lines.

Agreed!  It would also be good for drawing mountains, speech bubbles, maps, hair, and "ripped paper" effects.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It would be amazing to have stuff like roughen or smooth line as layer effects -- tweakable and non-destructive.

I was thinking of something more along the lines of how the corner tool works would be more versatile than an effect that encompasses the whole layer.  MattP has actually said that he intends to add it as

a roughen tool that can be 'rubbed over' an area to roughen it (and likewise a smoothing tool to do the opposite)

which sounds even better than what we were all thinking.

I was thinking of something more along the lines of how the corner tool works would be more versatile than an effect that encompasses the whole layer.  MattP has actually said that he intends to add it as

which sounds even better than what we were all thinking.

Very useful in some cases, but perhaps not that convenient when trying different styles for the whole layer, changing your mind etc.? I wouldn't mind both  ;) .

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

+1

Still missed

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, that's an important suggestion, I think. You could of course use a stroke with some "rough" brush to visually get rough edges, but it would be VERY nice to roughen the path itself even if it is just a thin line and doesn't have a stroke.

I know we shouldn't always bring in Adobe Illustrator for comparison, but justice be done, especially some of those features listed under "Effects" in AI have so often proved so convenient in my work that I'd really wish there could be some equivalent in Affinity Designer sooner or later. That those "Effects" can be altered any time later by changing their parameters and eventually be converted to just paths (when the design is finished for good) is also a very appreciated feature.

There's also a tool to roughen up paths in the AI toolbar, but I personally haven't ever used that a lot so I do not miss it as much in AD as I do miss some of the "Effects".

I've already suggested elsewhere in this forum that Affinity/Serif might consider to open up Designer to third party developers by way of allowing specialized plugins to be added to the basic programm (like it is – again – with AI and – e.g. – those interesting PlugIns by Astute Graphics). This might bring some additional momentum to the further evolution of this program (which – as of now – is just version 1.7.3 [and already kind of great!])

• 1 month later...