You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making multiple selections

Thanks for this great tutorial... simple tools but very useful to know.

For selecting objects on the window without having to totally put them into the selection window I personally prefer the Autocad's behaviour. (Not been in need of using the Ctrl key as the tutorial shows)

It's so... when you create that "window" starting from the top to the bottom side, the program selects all the object that are totally inside the window.

2vi2h6g.png

When you create the "window" from the bottom side to the top, the program selects all the objects that the window it's "touching" as well as the totally included on it.

9kyxwk.png

Of course, these behaviours could be combined with the ALT key to avoid selecting the background (I love it!)

Here's explained:

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/object-selection.php

Now i've found where i posted this for the first time.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1305-selecting-shapespaths-at-higher-zoom-levels/?p=5162

• Staff

Interesting - just to make sure I understand, the way that works is if you drag your marquee left-to-right you get a window selection, if you drag right-to-left you get a crossing selection?

Immediate reaction feels weird dragging a marquee backwards, but that's probably just me! Maybe it's something we could have a play with in future and get a feel of how that works...

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

Yes, a kind of that, watch the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byM0D6SjyxQ

... marquee backwards maybe it's strange at the beggining but it's all a question of time and use to become a natural way of selecting.

and here another ways of selecting in Autocad, just to make you think about the possiblities :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byM0D6SjyxQ

Thanks for considering it. :)

Nice to have some new tutorials.

It took me some time to figure out how to use ctrl-drag selection. By default ctrl-click brings up the context menu. To use this kind of selection, you first need to go to preferences and change this. Maybe it would be a good idea to change this default. I would never ever thought of using the ctrl-key to bring up the context menu.

To me, the combination of ctrl-drag and alt-drag would seem useful, too. But currently it doesn't seem possible.

• Staff

The thing is that ctrl-click is a pretty standard thing in OS X to effectively give right click behaviour which is why it's defaulted as on in Affinity.  Even with it still set to on you can press control after you start to drag the marquee and it works.

Not sure what you mean about the combination of alt and ctrl drag - that is what I did in the video?  I had alt pressed, started to drag to not select the background shape and then pressed ctrl as I was dragging.  If you have changed your preferences as you've described you can hold both alt and ctrl and then just drag...

Managing Director

Two finger tap is so much more convenient to open the context menu so that I have never bothered to look for alternatives.

You are right. ctrl-alt-drag works as expected, if you get a little used to. What I'm struggling with is that double tap on an object doesn't just select it but also switches from move tool to node tool. Since I'm usually using the touchpad I'm used to start dragging with double tap. If I start outside any object this is working perfectly fine. But if I do it on an object the application switches to node tool. Here alt and ctrl modifiers have different meaning. At least for me it would be nice to be able to switch of this behaviour. This is certainly nice for mouse users but a little bit problematic for touchpad users.

I like this but sucks for me is that I am left handed and I have to do this weird twist thing wit left hand that is not comfortable. The reason being is the control key only exist on the left side of a laptop. Usually, this is not an issue for me becuase oudly enough I actually have gotten use to using the mouse with my right hand instead. But when I use Affinity  I prefer to use my pen tablet and I cant draw with my right hand :(

• Staff

It's a good point - you can't if the drag starts over one of the objects already selected.  To be honest originally you would have still been able to press alt in this example to ignore the object you originally mouse down on, but due to a great deal of feedback from users everyone wanted alt to result in a drag-copy in this scenario.

Managing Director

Is there a reason why the selection of an object is restricted per layer? Take that same tutorial, split the triangles where some reside in one layer, and the others in another layer. As a case scenario, lets say this triangle layout you've done is a mock up and you're not sure how many triangles you want on the page, so you split it for easy turning on/off rather than having to click a bunch in a row. If all triangles are showing, and only one layer is selected, the others are un-selectable, but if you want to quickly select things all over, it's not very intuitive. This is not a very efficient workflow, please don't tell me this a feature.

If you say this is a feature, I'd argue what would the purpose of the lock on the layers panel be if you don't want something selected. Because if I *do* lock something, that means it was the last thing I selected, and if I'm designing, I'm looking at my canvas with the design, not a small representational icon in the layers panel (never mind that if you're designing in a dark color that it would be next to invisible on the layers panel icon). So, my next step in my workflow is constantly looking at my design to find what I need to do; the current selection methods breaks this at every turn. 

Sorry if I'm missing something I'm not aware of, I am a new user to Affinity (previous Illustrator user of many years).

@MEB, thank you very much! I would like to make a suggestion then: that should be default.

As any newer user would be confused by this since it's counter-intuitive, and an instant frustration from people coming from other software. As it's looking, the "edit all layers" state only stays active per document, not overall session. The function is similar to layer locking with the padlock icon on the top of the layers palette, yet the "edit all layers" icon is at the bottom, forming a ui/ux inconsistency.

A better workflow would be allowing users to be able to select anything on the canvas by default, with finer layer controls/restrictions utilizing the "lock/unlock" and a flipped "edit all layers" -> "edit single layers" side by side at the top, grouped with the other layer specific controls. This allows designers/artists to get things down quickly with a bit of organizing (with layers), increasing productivity, then as a project gets larger and more defined, finer controls in one location to allow focused polish.

• 1 year later...

Can someone tell me if selection with CTRL is working in AFFINITY DESIGNER 1.5.0.4 Windows version?I cannot figure out or is a bug?

Good spot - that's a bug. We've logged it!

The Ctrl key works exactly as I would expect. In the list of objects in the Layers panel, you can Ctrl-click to select or deselect non-contiguous items just as you would in any other list such as a list of files in a dialog or an Explorer window. On the page or the pasteboard, the Ctrl key is used to select an object in a group (or in a compound object) so if you want to select multiple objects you have to use the Shift key instead.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Alfred - I took it as meaning that at the moment in the Windows version holding ctrl while dragging a selection box doesn't modify the behaviour so the selection box only needs to touch objects to select (as in Mac version), rather than the box needing to completely encapsulate objects you want to select.

Managing Director

Thanks, Ash. I don't have a Mac, and I haven't seen any reference to the use of the Ctrl key while dragging out a marquee.

The Affinity Designer on Windows Help says this:

When using the Move Tool, the following modifier keys can be used to aid object selection:

• The Shift key allows you to select multiple objects by clicking them in turn.
  • The \ key selects objects which are only partially covered by the selection marquee.*
  • The Alt key selects objects which are located directly behind the currently selected object.

The backslash key actually toggles 'Clip to Canvas' mode. As far as I can see, the only way to enable the 'when intersects' selection behaviour is via the checkbox under 'Preferences > Tools'; I can't find a way of invoking this behaviour on the fly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Yeah, looks like help is wrong too. This is a problem caused by us having 4 modifiers available to us on Mac (cmd, alt, shift and ctrl) but only 3 on Windows because, naturally, Windows needs it's very own key just for itself. Messes with a few mappings which we'll have to work through...

Managing Director

• 4 months later...

A few tips on this highlighting the shortcuts available in particular when using marquee select:

I was expecting similar Marquee Tools in Affinity Photo, where it is a nightmare.

When I ask why, they give Tips and Tricks, but it is not possible to get the same as AD.

What a pity; I am thinking to give up with AP, while I like very much AD.

• 4 months later...

I had to come here to try to figure this out...read a few replies and still going to determine how to simply fill a selection with color.  This program is amazingly unintuitive.  It's one of the main reasons I feel like I can't just jump ship from Photoshop or Illustrator to Photo or Designer.  Simple things like filling a selection should be reasonably intuitive.  I realize it's hard to target everyone's train of thought, but here's mine:

1) Open an image in Designer

2) Make a selection of what you want to fill

3) Use the 'Fill Tool' and draw in a fill within that selection based on whatever 'Fill Tool' options I've chosen.

However, all that happens is that I get a line that looks like Photo's 'Gradient Tool,' but nothing happens.  I go to Tutorials under the Help Menu, which takes me to a website, where I do a search for Fill Tool and I'm greeted with a myriad of things that don't apply.  So, I go to Help... under the Help Menu and look up Fill Tool and I'm greeted with the list of information below (which is neither descriptive enough to be useful, nor simple enough in application to be effective).

Considering the first two part of this list of information, where the fill tool allows you to adjust the fill, then I expect to be able to adjust from no fill to a fill and to apply the flood with a single click, but that never happens.

Taking this a step further, if I have a selection made and try to paint with the vector brush inside that selection, the paint doesn't obey the boundaries of the selection.  What's the point of the selection if it doesn't set boundaries?

Search results for fill tool