You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Added right mouse button as fourth modifier?

From the release notes of version 1.5.0.9

• Added right mouse button as fourth modifier, which enables support for brush tool size and hardness shortcut amongst others (ALT+RightMouse)

Does this mean we can use the right mouse button alread to change the brush tool size? Or is it just a first step?

For me the ALT+RightMouse click does nothing.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff

Right Mouse is a modifier like ALT and SHIFT and CTRL, it modifies the left mouse down drag behaviour, so left mouse + simultaneous right mouse gives the same 4th modifier as mouse+Ctrl does on a mac.

So for me press right mouse and keep it pressed, then press Alt and keep it pressed, then press Left mouse too. Now dragging left or right will change brush size.

I am not sure about modified left click if that is a thing. I guess there may be a few (please tell us about them) that we need to look further into.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Right Mouse is a modifier like ALT and SHIFT and CTRL, it modifies the left mouse down drag behaviour, so left mouse + simultaneous right mouse gives the same 4th modifier as mouse+Ctrl does on a mac.

Isn't that entirely dependent on how your pointing device is configured, Patrick? My trackball allows simultaneous right and left button presses to be interpreted as a middle click, but there are other options.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Well obviously it does Alfred. So obviously it hardly needs mentioning you would have thought. Thats like saying you can configure it for left handed people and then what I typed wasn't true either.... sigh.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Are you using a pixel brush? You need to use ALT+RightMouse + LeftMouse drag to adjust the size or hardness.

Hi Mark,

yes, I am using a pixel brush and had created a pixel layer before.

In Photoshop it is possible to just ALT+RightMouse click and drag to adjust size and hardness. That is why I tried it that way.

From Patrick's post I learned that I additionally have to press the left mouse button. That is new to me :-o

There's many fingers involved with this  :)

I have to play with it to get used to it. But I can confirm that it is working here, too.

Thanks to all,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

This is not comfortable. Mac users can use still two mouse buttons. And the Windows users can press just the right mouse button. Where is the problem?

Then the Windows users would have to call the context menu with two mouse buttons too.

• Staff

I find it difficult (awkward) too, but it does work. We are trying this in this build for the first time ourselves too.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.