You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.5 - Beta 8)

I don't know if there's a setting somewhere I can change on this, but I'm really struggling with the layers pane in the beta. In a file with numerous layers, the scroll bar covers the checkboxes that control visibility. It's viewable here, though my screenshot app removes the cursor:

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-06%20at%2011.20.

In contrast, MAS 1.4.2 does not have this problem:

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-06%20at%2011.29.

I've tried expanding the pane, but the scroll bar continues to cover the checkboxes. This is a critical problem for me in normal use.

Ian, I can't reproduce this on my Mac running OS X 10.11.6. I tried it with both the Layers panel docked in the Studio & undocked, & with different System Preference > General settings for showing or hiding the scroll bar.

Maybe resetting the app would help?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Ian, I can't reproduce this on my Mac running OS X 10.11.6. I tried it with both the Layers panel docked in the Studio & undocked, & with different System Preference > General settings for showing or hiding the scroll bar.

Maybe resetting the app would help?

Many thanks. I reset the Studio and User Defaults in the app preferences and quit and restarted the beta and it's okay now. Thank heaven!

make circles, make a symbol based on it

move + enlarge and then power dublicate

- if you then move one circle (you have to decollapse the symbol and select one of the circles itself, not the symbol, all circles move in relative increments to their size

@Kevin - pretty much that. They share a common center, which translates to larger movements in the larger circles as you move one of them, if you try it with a broader colour palette and bigger size increments it looks rather 3D. :)

make circles, make a symbol based on it

move + enlarge and then power dublicate

- if you then move one circle (you have to decollapse the symbol and select one of the circles itself, not the symbol, all circles move in relative increments to their size

+macOS visual fixes work as far as I see

+rendering performance seems to be improved yet again? I mean there are some issues left which I´ll report but for now this is really improving very well!!!

- not only curves end point modifications and bevel profiles are broken but blend ranges sliders are also broken 

- one still can´t drag the "opacity" label to change the opacity of layers     :wacko: (like it works for brush size e.g.)

​- when you have a brushes mod panel opened and press the v key, the controls are not editable anymore

+ dropping stuff into assets and symbol panels

+ might we get the docking of two columns of tool panels to the right (and left) side like possible in AD for Windows?
+ Bleed preview, linked bleed values

thanks for the update! (mostly looking forward to AP 1.5 though  :lol:)

This drives me nuts.  I cannot reproduce any of that.

---make circles, make a symbol based on it

do you mean circles (plural) or just one circle.

---move + enlarge and then power dublicate

Done

--- if you then move one circle (you have to decollapse the symbol and select one of the circles itself, not the symbol, all circles move in relative increments to their size

Nope if I sub-select a circle only that circle moves. What do you mean by decollapse?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

I think the distance measuring and snapping are very inconsistent.

- Like sometimes it just doesn’t want to snap or show distance to nearest objects but it goes all the way to artboard edge.

- Other times when I attempt to mov an object the measuring doesn’t show up at all.

- Or it detects nearest object and shows measurements, but fails to show distance to artboard edge.

It simply feels random at this point. Not reliable...

++ It’s impossible to see the distance text when the distance between objects is very small. Have to zoom in like crazy.

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Crop opacity issue. 

• Create a rect in a new doc.
  • Set it's fill to black and Layer opacity to 75% 
  • Then crop it
  • It's opacity changes. Not the values reported in the UI mind, just what you see on screen. (same effect with a shape crop or the crop tool)

Also tested it in the MAS version and it does the same. Is this a known issue? Can't believe I've not noticed this before!  :wacko:

Cheers.

• Staff

Hi 00Ggz,

The distance displayed depends on the cursor position (what it is hovering).

For example draw three squares on the page, select one of them press and hold ⌘ (cmd) do display the measurements but place the mouse outside the selected object and without hovering any other object - Designer will display the distance to the canvas boundaries.

Now move the cursor over one of the non selected rectangles while keep holding ⌘ (cmd) - Designer will display measurements between the selected rectangle and the rectangle you are hovering with the cursor.

So you have to change cursor's position depending on the measurement you want to get.

• Staff

I think the distance measuring and snapping are very inconsistent.

- Like sometimes it just doesn’t want to snap or show distance to nearest objects but it goes all the way to artboard edge.

- Other times when I attempt to mov an object the measuring doesn’t show up at all.

- Or it detects nearest object and shows measurements, but fails to show distance to artboard edge.

It simply feels random at this point. Not reliable...

++ It’s impossible to see the distance text when the distance between objects is very small. Have to zoom in like crazy.

I think you are going to have to make a video to demonstrate this.  The snapping code is deterministic - it will always do the same thing under the same conditions.  There's no "randomness" about it.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi all,

Might not be specific to beta 8, but I've found that in the guides manager when I have multiple artboards, if I have a guide at 50.7% and type 50% when I press return it jumps some other value related to the size of the document (i think) So I can't position guides through typing.

• See the attached sample file
  • try to use the guides manager to type 50% for the guides that are off 50%

Cheers.

Additional thought... could this also be related to a issue I reported with Storing View Points in the Navigator view? Both seem to suffer from a disconnect between the document dimensions and the artboards positions.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22436-ad-navigator-viewpoints-to-update-y-position-on-document-change/?p=105199

type-position-guides.afdesign

Well. That means october. And Beta version 21 before! Haw haw haw!!!

Do not publish in a hurry so a lot all people will say: You have published a version not mature, lot of bugs, uh, oh, and so on...

:blink:

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

So i have noticed some odd behavior with the beta. 

When using text frames it now seems to add the "space after" per default to every line. So even if you had like 0pt line-height the text doesn't sit on the same line.

In addition, if you try to use text styles and you change the line-height - for some reason it won't be applied to the text. So it reacts to the space before and after thing, but not to the line-height changes.

I suppose this is a bug, but if not, teach me what i don't understand about this! :)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB, ROG PG348Q

• Staff

Guys, I accidentally deleted the standard Greys palette. I tried exporting that palette from the MAS version, but the beta doesn't accept it. Can anyone export it and upload it here? It would save me reseting the app and losing my current customisations.

Here's mine (in a .zip because we don't seem to allow the .afpalette format as an acceptable file type! *sigh*)

Greys.afpalette.zip

• Staff

Measurements (⌘ + hover over element) are not working in artboard documents.

Has that just not been implemented, or is it a bug?

I think it's just a bug - Ben did mention this to me a little while ago and I know he has work to do in this area still. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime... :(

So i have noticed some odd behavior with the beta. 

When using text frames it now seems to add the "space after" per default to every line. So even if you had like 0pt line-height the text doesn't sit on the same line.

In addition, if you try to use text styles and you change the line-height - for some reason it won't be applied to the text. So it reacts to the space before and after thing, but not to the line-height changes.

I suppose this is a bug, but if not, teach me what i don't understand about this! :)

It's not doing either for me. It sounds like leading override has got set on the characters, possibly via a text style.

Does it still happen in a new document after doing Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset ?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.