You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Multi] Need to "see" bleed

• 2 months later...

Any news on the visual bleed. Until we have that feature, we are unable to use AD for any print designs.

Why not?

First create your document.

Then enable the bleed from the Document Setup. Specify your bleeds.

You can then disable Clip to Canvas to see object going outside of your document. Create a spare layer and create a rectangle the size of your bleed and lock it.

Once finished your artwork disable the spare layer for bleeds and create a PDF with your bleeds enabled during the PDF creation. 

Does that make sense?

Regards

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 3 weeks later...

Why not?

First create your document.

Then enable the bleed from the Document Setup. Specify your bleeds.

You can then disable Clip to Canvas to see object going outside of your document. Create a spare layer and create a rectangle the size of your bleed and lock it.

Once finished your artwork disable the spare layer for bleeds and create a PDF with your bleeds enabled during the PDF creation. 

Does that make sense?

Regards

Why not?

Because that solution works great, but only if you don't use artboards... "Disabling Clip to Canvas" becomes "disable" the second you create one artboard.

You then you either have to guess your bleed, or export to see if you filled the area properly.

Bummer. I have hope.

Any workaround yet?

• Staff

Hi arkinien,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm sorry the inconvenience this is causing. Bleed preview will be implemented in the program but it's not ready yet.

Meanwhile as a workaround, you can draw a rectangle with the same size as the artboard, then go to the Transform panel set the reference point to centre (in the small grid on the left) and add the value you want to use as the bleed to both width and height fields (adding +3mm after the value that's already in the input field for both dimensions). Set the fill to none and a thin green (or other visible colour) stroke. Then move the rectangle layer to outside the Artboard in the Layers panel. I've attached a sample file below. You can then duplicate the layer and artboard to create additional artboards with the visible "bleed" area.

sample_bleed.afdesign

I'm glad to see that feature is on the radar.  :)

Nifty indeed. However, the intend here was actually to view the artwork all the way to the edge of the bleed area, not just to hi-light the edge of the bleed.

That said, I'm finding that I can either move the entire Artboard content outside the Artboard in the layers panel, or resize the Artboard to match the "green bleed rectangle" to accomplish the desired previews. Both solutions followed by an undo of course. Not perfect and a bit cumbersome, but doable in the waiting.

Thanks for the tips.