You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys,

any suggestions for making pixel art. Usually in Illustrator I can just use a grid convert it into a path-form and then make it a live paint object and get my fill on, but here there is no such option and when I laid down a grid with lines and tried to divide a rectangle into a bunch of squares to live-paint it wouldn't divide. Its super frustrating and the concept is so simple it should be possible to Macgyver it but its not happening. Any advice?

below is a screenshot of my attempt to get around the problem.

post-4065-0-36757100-1470301240_thumb.png

post-4065-0-36757100-1470301240_thumb.png

Affinity Designer 1.4.2 // Mac 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7

• Staff

Hi Modernus,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

One question: does you have to create your pixel art as vector objects (as seems to be the case judging from your description) or can it be done as a raster image?

Affinity Designer is able to work with both (raster and vector data) and the process is different for each one. We don't have a similar feature as Illustrator's Live Paint.

I'm down to do it raster style, I was able to make it work in vector mode through an addictive process (creating the pixels with the square tool and then snapping to grid all additional shares). I just wanted to divide a large rectangle into a bunch of tiny shares to simplify the process.

But by all means hook me up with some knowledge on how to do this raster style.

Thanks.

• Staff

If you want to do it using raster tools:

Change to the Pixel Persona (menu File ▸ Personas ▸ Pixel), and use the Pixel Tool to paint the pixels. You can enable the grid to help you visualise the individual pixels of the grid (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Show Grid). You can configure the grid (colours) in menu View ▸ Grid and Axis Manager....

But, just to ask, is it possible to divide a big rectangle into tiny squares? 

No, but you can create a "vector based pixel grid" using 1x1px vector squares (using the program's grid as explained above to get them aligned correctly) and using Power Duplicate to build a 10x10 patch (or bigger) of them. Then use Power Duplicate again with the whole patch as if it was a pattern to create larger grids. It's a little tedious but there's still no automated ways to do this. You can then reuse it for all your projects.

The problem is to "paint" them individually. You can select a bunch and fill them with the same colour simultaneously but this doesn't offer much flexibility.

Ok sweet, thats what I figured. So basically create a template that I can use for my pixel projects.

Coolio, thanks for your help. I will fandango around with the raster reality to check it out.

Can I ask here if its possible to create custom brushes or should I start another topic?

@Fixx, I think you can use the fill tool (little rainbow ball with the upward pointing arrow) to get your fill on. 

Though AD is a bit more minimal than AI it is much more enjoyable to use, I just gotta approach things in a more old school manner... which isn't a bad thing.