You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm trying to remove the lens flare on photos and using the tutorial using the frequency separator.  The clone tool doesn't work.  I click on the icon, hit Alt and click to set the + and then nothing happens, it doesn't do anything when i move the circle around the area I am trying to work on.  Please help as it is driving me nuts and I can't find anything on the forums so far to help!!!  

Have you checked that you have the Image layer selected? It might be helpful not to worry about the shortcuts until you have checked this, it's easy to forget the layer structure and (by mistake) "work" on an adjustment layer  ;) . You should see the part of the image to be cloned in the circle when you move the clone tool about. 

• 2 years later...

I have a similar issue. Cloning does not do anything. I am on the right (and at the moment only layer). There are no adjustment layers. I can set the cross with alt + click. But when I try to paint, the cross moves in the selected distance to my mouse but nothing is painted to the layer. When I change flow from 0% to about 30% it paints something. But with 0% absolutely nothing.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135

BTW: It would be good to have some kind of obvious feedback on what layer one is actually working on in order to avoid confusing situations and accidently painting on the wrong layer. However in my case it does not seem to be a layer problem at all. Looks like a bug to me...  Please note, I am a beginner also, so I may be mistaken.

3 minutes ago, mailias said:

But with 0% absolutely nothing.

'Absolutely nothing' is an actual definition of zero percent.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, mailias said:

BTW: It would be good to have some kind of obvious feedback on what layer one is actually working on in order to avoid confusing situations and accidently painting on the wrong layer.

That is what the Layers Panel is for.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 hours ago, R C-R said:

That is what the Layers Panel is for.

Yes I know the layer panel. But if there are lots of layers and nested groups and adjustment layers etc. I did not find it easy to see which layer actually is selected. Maybe I've got to get used to it a bit more. Anyways, thanks for your answers.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, pao said:

Clone tool is not working I have the layer selected everything and it says I have to choose the source ... it doesn't take it. I'm confused.

How exactly are you trying to choose the source?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, pao said:

Clone tool is not working I have the layer selected everything and it says I have to choose the source ... it doesn't take it. I'm confused.

The source is the area you want to use as replacement for where you paint with the the Clone tool (brush). Option/Alt + click will select the area to use/start from, then move the tool/brush to where you want that bit of the picture to be placed/painted.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

On 2/8/2022 at 1:36 PM, R C-R said:

How exactly are you trying to choose the source?

I choose the layer (pixel) and with clone brush ctrl + alt I select the source (area to clone) and then press the brush where I want it to clone. Nothing happens it tells me to choose the layer and source.

On 2/8/2022 at 1:45 PM, Old Bruce said:

The source is the area you want to use as replacement for where you paint with the the Clone tool (brush). Option/Alt + click will select the area to use/start from, then move the tool/brush to where you want that bit of the picture to be placed/painted.

I did that... it's not working..

2 minutes ago, pao said:

it's not working..

A screenshot of the complete application window at the point where it's failing, including the Layers panel with the active layer visible, might help us understand what's happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, pao said:

I choose the layer (pixel) and with clone brush ctrl + alt I select the source 

Don't know about Windows but on Mac I just need to use the Option Key, this is the Mac version of the Windows Alt key. I do not need the Control nor the Command key, just the Option.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am also having this problem. Alt, click, and I get the plus symbol on the part I want to color clone, but then nothing shows up in the circle for me to clone. I take my mouse over to the part I want to apply the clone, click on it and nothing changes. 

Aligned source is unclicked. Layer is unlocked and I believe I'm on the layer I want to work on. Hardness is 80 (but I feel that's something to toy with once I actually clone something?)

Any help would be appreciated, thank you. 

clone tool.png

Is your layer an (Pixel) or (Image) layer? If it is an (image) layer it must be rasterized to be able to clone. Right-click on it and choose Rasterize.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

37 minutes ago, Clueless Creator said:

Would it work if I made it a pixel layer?

If you Rasterized it then it became a pixel layer at that point.

You can drag your Layers panel wider by grabbing the left edge and dragging left. Then you can tell for sure what it is.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, I pulled the bar to see more and it is a pixel image. I'm still stuck. I can't figure out why I am able to use tools with another image but not for this one (when I was editing on it a couple days ago -- I was eliminating the background with the selection brush). I'm still able to make my brush bigger with the bracket keys, but I can't do anything (clone, inpainting...). I toggle between this image and the one I am able to edit on and I see no difference in things selected. 

woman.png