Hi,

I'm trying to remove the lens flare on photos and using the tutorial using the frequency separator.  The clone tool doesn't work.  I click on the icon, hit Alt and click to set the + and then nothing happens, it doesn't do anything when i move the circle around the area I am trying to work on.  Please help as it is driving me nuts and I can't find anything on the forums so far to help!!!  

Have you checked that you have the Image layer selected? It might be helpful not to worry about the shortcuts until you have checked this, it's easy to forget the layer structure and (by mistake) "work" on an adjustment layer  ;) . You should see the part of the image to be cloned in the circle when you move the clone tool about. 

Hi Uuiop,

Sorry I only just downloaded the App yesterday so a beginner on the whole thing.  I just worked out that the background was locked, when I unticked that, the tools starting working - now let the fun of editing begin!  :)

I have a similar issue. Cloning does not do anything. I am on the right (and at the moment only layer). There are no adjustment layers. I can set the cross with alt + click. But when I try to paint, the cross moves in the selected distance to my mouse but nothing is painted to the layer. When I change flow from 0% to about 30% it paints something. But with 0% absolutely nothing.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135

BTW: It would be good to have some kind of obvious feedback on what layer one is actually working on in order to avoid confusing situations and accidently painting on the wrong layer. However in my case it does not seem to be a layer problem at all. Looks like a bug to me...  Please note, I am a beginner also, so I may be mistaken.

3 minutes ago, mailias said:

But with 0% absolutely nothing.

'Absolutely nothing' is an actual definition of zero percent.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 | Affinity Photo 1.7.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.2.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.151 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.458

6 hours ago, mailias said:

BTW: It would be good to have some kind of obvious feedback on what layer one is actually working on in order to avoid confusing situations and accidently painting on the wrong layer.

That is what the Layers Panel is for.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

On 10/28/2018 at 10:30 PM, Old Bruce said:

'Absolutely nothing' is an actual definition of zero percent.

Ok, seems I have confused flow with hardness. Sorry.

21 hours ago, R C-R said:

That is what the Layers Panel is for.

Yes I know the layer panel. But if there are lots of layers and nested groups and adjustment layers etc. I did not find it easy to see which layer actually is selected. Maybe I've got to get used to it a bit more. Anyways, thanks for your answers.