You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Today I needed to slice/divide some paths and realized Designer has "NO" tools to cut a path anywhere and give you two separate paths! Am I missing something? I keep not wanting to use Illustrator but I keep finding simple tools missing. This is just like not having an offset path command, handy tools.

• Staff

Hi dddeux,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer doesn't support geometric operations between closed paths and open paths (lines), so you cannot use a line to cut a shape in two separate paths.

We already have  a Knife Tool in our roadmap that should be able to help here, but i don't know yet how it will work / how it will be imeplemented.

Meanwhile there's a few ways to workaround this. You can extend the line around of one of the halves of the original object and close it then perform a divide geometry operation (you will end up with three shapes) and delete the superfluous one, or alternatively add nodes where you want to "break" the object and use the Node Tool to break them. You will then have to close the two resulting paths manually.

• 4 years later...
On 8/2/2016 at 4:12 PM, MEB said:

Hi dddeux,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer doesn't support geometric operations between closed paths and open paths (lines), so you cannot use a line to cut a shape in two separate paths.

We already have  a Knife Tool in our roadmap that should be able to help here, but i don't know yet how it will work / how it will be imeplemented.

Meanwhile there's a few ways to workaround this. You can extend the line around of one of the halves of the original object and close it then perform a divide geometry operation (you will end up with three shapes) and delete the superfluous one, or alternatively add nodes where you want to "break" the object and use the Node Tool to break them. You will then have to close the two resulting paths manually.

Hi MEB, I am new to the Affinity product range. A change I took readily and keen to leave adobe that I had used for over 30 years. I am slowly experiencing real fundamental issues with lack of opposition and essential tools or plain strange ways of working. No Slice,Masking that drives me mental (Photo), previews I cannot understand and more. I have been trying to educate (re-educate) myself as much as possible, in the realisation that sometimes old ways are not the best ways. But I am finding that a hard notion to follow at times in this new Affinity world where really basic needs have not been met. Your last response on this was 2016, Surely if a slice tool were to be in a roadmap it should have reached its destination by now. Oh! an please tell me a fundamental video to watch to wrap my head around the crazy photo masking (cannot see the mask) dilemma. I am close to breaking -back. I really don't want to go there...

• Staff

Hi @atomic101,
Welcome to affinity Forums :)
Unfortunately the Knife Tool wasn't implemented yet. The only thing i can suggest for now is to draw a line where you want to cut the shape, continue it to turn that line into a closed shape, then divide it from the original shape you wanted to cut. See attached video (it was recorded in Designer but it's the same process in Photo - you may have to add the geometric operations group to the main toolbar in Photo right-clicking in the main toolbar and selecting Customize Toolbar...). Regarding the mask's issue, if you could post a screenshot or a clip of what you are doing? Make sure the Feather in the context toolbar is set to zero - if it's set to a high value and the selection is small you may not see the marching ants on screen since the selection may be all semi-transparent (less than 50% opacity).

2 hours ago, atomic101 said:

Surely if a slice tool were to be in a roadmap it should have reached its destination by now.

53 minutes ago, MEB said:

The only thing i can suggest for now is to draw a line where you want to cut the shape, continue it to turn that line into a closed shape, then divide it from the original shape you wanted to cut. See attached video

@atomic101, I'd add here that the "closed shape" requirement is due to a bug where open paths are currently being considered "auto-closed" on any boolean operations. (Still holding my breath that this bug will be finally fixed in three, two, one…)

Another – and much faster – workaround is this:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2