You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

object moves to another layer

I'm not sure if this is a bug or my inability to understand how layers work with AD.

I noticed that when I move a line it moves to another layer. It doesn't matter if the layer is locked or not. I notice this behavior when trying to connect paths as well.

I haven't totally tested this yet but...the lines that I am having problems with are ones that were copied from one layer and paste into another. It's as if it remembers the layer is originally came from.

The problem goes away if I paste the lines into a different drawing or file. 

This is happening in beta 6 and 7.

lineMovestoDifferentLayer.mov

@befehr

I'm assuming the Headphones and Wire Assembly layers are situated on top of the lines only artboard in the design...

When you move the line on the Headphones layer, Designer detects the artboard directly below the selected object and will place it on the artboard. This is why it also disappears (because the artboard is hidden).

This is all due to the unusual situation of having a layer above and outside of an artboard.

If the Headphones layer was nested inside the artboard or located on its own artboard, the line would remain within that layer.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

I just had this happen to me. Thankfully I found this thread. Was going crazy. I don't normally use artboards so didn't have a clue that could be the culprit. Gotta say if that is how artboards work then no thanks or what's the point? 

I had a file with one artboard, and then I built an illustration with many layers on that artboard. Any time I moved an element on one of those layers it would jump up to the artboard layer in the stack, and it was locked.  What is the point in that? What am I not understanding here? You can't have separate layers on a single artboard? Everything needs to be on one layer on an artboard?

19 minutes ago, telemax said:

try uncheck this

Edit All Layers.png

Yeah no, thanks telemax, but that wasn't it.  It appears to be fine when you disable 'edit all layers' but I always work with that enabled so was wondering what had changed and it was definitely because of working on an artboard with other layers... bizarre!

8 hours ago, retrograde said:

Yeah no, thanks telemax, but that wasn't it.  It appears to be fine when you disable 'edit all layers' but I always work with that enabled so was wondering what had changed and it was definitely because of working on an artboard with other layers... bizarre!

I think we will need to see, at a minimum, some screenshots of your workspace and the Layers panel. But ideally, a .afdesign document exhibiting the problem would be best.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/10/2020 at 4:17 AM, walt.farrell said:

I think we will need to see, at a minimum, some screenshots of your workspace and the Layers panel. But ideally, a .afdesign document exhibiting the problem would be best.

Thanks Walt. Unfortunately I'm not able to share the file at this point. Here's a screenshot of the layers panel in 1.8.3. The highlighted 'sketch 01' layer was a locked artboard layer before I turned it into just a normal layer. So to recap, anytime I moved an element on any of the layers below with 'edit all layers' enabled it would jump up the the sketch 01 layer. It didn't jump when 'edit all layers' was disabled. 

Everything went back to "normal" for me once I removed the artboard. I don't normally use artboards as I usually work on one illustration per file which would explain, I think, why I've never had that happen to me before.... makes sense to me... I will try to recreate it later with a file that I can share, just a little too busy at the moment. 🙂

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 11.05.02 PM.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.