You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I'm a total beginner to vector drawing and AD. I'm trying to intersect, I think, 2 shapes. I have a rectangle and a line. The line starts outside the rectangle goes through it and comes out on the other side and beyond. Is there an easy way where I could select the line and the rectangle press a magic button so the line is cut so that only the section of the line strictly within the boundaries of the rectangle survives? I tried the AD intersect button but nothing happened other than both the line and rectangle disappeared!?! I looked for an AD manual but couldn't find one.

Many thanks

• Staff

Hi egm1b,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer doesn't support geometric operations between open paths (lines) and shapes. Only between shapes (closed paths).

You have to use the Node Tool to add nodes where the line cross the boundaries of the shape and break them.

Alternatively you can drag the line layer over the rectangle layer in the Layers panel to use the rectangle as a clipping layer for the line.

Affinity Designer doesn't support geometric operations between open paths (lines) and shapes. Only between shapes (closed paths).

That's what I thought, Miguel, but the current Windows beta build (1.5.0.8) allows me to perform Boolean operations between unclosed curves (or between shapes and unclosed curves).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Affinity Designer is simply closing the line converting it to a closed shape (joining its end nodes) then performing the boolean operation with the other shape. Depending where the end nodes of the line are located this may end messing up the boolean operation results.

Just try to use a line to break a shape in two separate parts or perform an intersection between a line and a closed path and you will see the problem.

It sometimes works, though:

post-3524-0-98206900-1470078087_thumb.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just try to use a line to break a shape in two separate parts or perform an intersection between a line and a closed path and you will see the problem.

Yes, the OP mentions that it doesn't work (or doesn't work well) with a straight line. It works fine for curves which partially enclose an area, but I would still expect the geometric operations to be unavailable for those cases, instead of having the app automatically close the curves.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 years later...

hi 

I am a 14 year old affinity designer learner

I am on the intersecting stage on the worksheet and everytime i go to subtract the half circle it keeps on subtracting it but also subtracting the background aswell

advide/ help needed please

in english please so very nooby explaination

Edited by Arwenjt
forgot to add something :/