You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Affinity Photo Trial for a while, I'm very enthusiastic. This could really be a alternative for my Lightroom + Photoshop. The only issue that draws me back from buying this program is being not able to use 'Print Studio Pro' which is by far the best solution for printing from my Canon Pro 100. Is there any indication of fixing this problem and if so, in what future?

Kind regards, Pollo Hamburger

• Staff

Hi A.Hamburger,

I have checked the website for Canon Print Studio Pro and it appears to only work with a select few apps. While we are working on improving plugin support in the future this plugin might be something that requires work with the developer in order to get working so it may be a long while before it is implemented if at all.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Has there been any developments on being able to install Canon Print Studio Pro as a plugin within Affinity Photo? 

I have just taken the plunge and started with (& paid for) AP and now I find that Canon Print Studio Pro is not supported. This is not something I can easily do without as I have profiles set up for many print situations. Consequentially, I'm now considering giving up on Affinity, almost before I started, which is such a shame, as I am keen to find an alternative to PS.

This is a great program which will complement Affinity Photo and provides great colour matching and a simple to use interface.
There must be literally thousands of users who are using Canon Printers and Print Studio Pro out there...so is there any news or workarounds available?

Hi Cello,
Thanks for the pointer. Although I use Windows, I've just discovered that there are some settings in Soft Proofing for the type of papers and Canon Printer I use, so I'm going to run a few test prints against one recently printed using the Canon software and see where that gets me. I also see that in Export, there are ICC profiles I can use. Its going to be a more manual operation than using Print Studio Pro and PS, but worth investigating.

13 minutes ago, Bucks Fizz said:

I've just discovered that there are some settings in Soft Proofing for the type of papers and Canon Printer I use, so I'm going to run a few test prints against one recently printed using the Canon software and see where that gets me.

I'm not sure from what you've written, but you wouldn't make a print using soft proofing.

You would use a soft proofing layer to see how your picture would look if it were printed using that printer and paper profile, and make further adjustments to the picture if it doesn't look right with the soft proofing layer active.

When you have it looking good you would turn off the soft proofing layer and make the actual print, specifying the appropriate profile and other options in Affinity Photo's print dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

I have just discovered Print Pro Studio and I asked the same question about plug-in to Affinity Photo. Hopefully it will be available in the future. In the meantime I'll do my editing in AP and save a TIFF file. I can then print using Canon's DPP4 which does have the plug-in.  I've not tried it yet but it could be a workaround the problem.

Good thought. Unfortunately I use a Nikon camera. I’ll have a look at Nikon’s NX software just in case it supports PSPro. 

Currently I’m doing something similar using Print Studio Pro via PS Elements (where it is supported) to print. 

It would be great if Serif engineered a plugin for Print Studio Pro. 

• 10 months later...

I have two Canon ipf-pro printers sitting here waiting for PrintStudio Pro and Layout to be ported into Affinity Photo. So far I love Affinity Photo and I will compromise a lot to rid myself of Adobe. Fortunately, I don't see a lot of compromise apart from the print driver. So, an alternative would be to work on a print driver that does what PrintStudio Pro and Layout manages. Or, develop a completely separate component. Really, if Affinity Photo is to compete with Photoshop, you have to do a lot of work on this problem. It is very, very important. Something like the attached ScreenShot would be desirable. I certainly don't want to return to very expensive RIP software.

2019-04-05_15-48-24.jpg

Edited by Doug Thomson

No chance, Affinity software just (re)uses for printing what the printer vendor drivers already do offer. A Canon tool like Print Studio Pro uses beside it's own code the Adobe PS APIs in order to can communicate and be hooked into PS/PSE etc. The Affinity line has only very limited/reduced PS API pluggin support capabilities, they also don't have an own programmers API yet or any further documentation of any sort for how to integrate, communicate and exchange data with third party code. Thus it's pretty unlikely that you will see a Canon Print Studio Pro version which can be hooked and used out of Affinity apps.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I also was about to transfer to Affinity but do use ICC profiles. Has anyone found a way to specify an ICC profile in Windows 10 for a Canon Pro 10S? 

I have tried using the Windows 10 "Color Management" control panel but it is not clear if my selected ICC will be used and specifing a non Canon ICC was difficult.  In the advanced settings tab of "canon easy-photo print EX" 'Print tab, step 4', I can select "Enable ICC profile" but it has no facility to specify the ICC.

"My Image Garden" nor the canon driver have ICC options in Windows 10.

Has anyone achieved printing with a specified ICC without the Canon Plug-in?

This is what the Canon site generally tells for Pixma Pro printers ...

And the Canon Pro 10S WIN PDF manual tells ...

Specify an ICC Profile with the Printer Driver, and then Print

Print from an application software that cannot identify input ICC profiles or does allow you to specify oneby using the color space of the input ICC profile (sRGB) found in the data. When printing Adobe RGBdata, you can print the data with the Adobe RGB color space even if the application software does notsupport Adobe RGB.

1.Open the printer driver setup window

2.Select the manual color adjustment

On the Main tab, select Manual for Color/Intensity, and click Set....
The Manual Color Adjustment dialog box opens.

3.Select color correction

Click Matching tab, and select ICM (ICC Profile Matching) for Color Correction.

4.Select the input profile

Select an Input Profile that matches the color space of the image data.
For sRGB data or data without an input ICC profile:
Select Standard.
For Adobe RGB data:
Select Adobe RGB (1998).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

3.Select color correction

Click Matching tab, and select ICM (ICC Profile Matching) for Color Correction.

When I do step 3, the window closes no option for selecting an option.  The PDF Online Manual seems to be writen arround applications that use the plug-in and not the driver direct.

Thank you for your input though.

3 hours ago, nrh199 said:

When I do step 3, the window closes no option for selecting an option.  The PDF Online Manual seems to be writen arround applications that use the plug-in and not the driver direct. 

Either that, or an app which is color management capable, see related also this one here ...

Thanks again v_kyr, 

This leaves the question, does the Affinity App permit the specification of an ICC in the Print module?  If so then all may be well.

The downloaded manual from

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3uxmmypdx9ruzw/Affinity%20Photo%20Manual.pdf?dl=0

page 451 suggests that the Print module is very sparse in features, just allowing scaling of the image (that is important to me also).

Other forum comments also suggests that the Print module is sparse.

However the video

https://vimeo.com/203279705

Shows that with windows, the ICC profile can be set in the Affinity App.  (although it does show the 'manual' tab in the printer driver that does not work on my PC).

So my way forward is to find time to download and evaluate a free trial of Affinity and see what works for me, then it may be goodbye to LR & PS both of which I find are becoming overdeveloped with as many bugs as fixes with each download.

Thanks again

FOR THOSE NEW TO AFFINITY WITH A CANON PRINTER

I have just downloaded a trial of Affinity Photo and can confirm that on W10 the PRINT function provided me with the features I require and used most frequently in Canon Print Studio Pro, (mainly sizes and ICC profile).

On a quick try, I was also able to successfully use the selection tool.  This worked at least as well as when I use PS CC. Select on focus may have been a little quicker but I can probable live without it as I usually needed to tidy up the layer mask afterwards.

• 1 month later...

Interested to know nrh199 how you are getting on with your Pro10s as am just beginning to get going here with one using Affinity Photo on Mac.

Currently trying to run some basic test sample prints using standard office paper - how do I get an ICC profile for that?

Am new to the world of ICC profiles so would be glad, please, of any tips in respect of basic stuff like managing them within A.Photo.

Thanks.

I was unable to find a way of using an ICC profile with Affinity and my Canon Pr0-10s. For that reason I did not purchase Affinity at the end of the trial. I can not remember the details.  If you are on a MAC then the Canon driver may allow you specify the ICC, but in W10 I got nowhere.  My test was to print the same image on the same paper, once using the correct ICC and once using an ICC for a very different paper. (In my case Permajet Oyster and canon MATT).  I had expected to see a difference but did not hence concluded that the ICC had no impact.  Also the prints from Affinity had a red / magenta cast but were accurate when printed through LR with the Canon plugin.

I have purchased ON1 which seems to print well.  At the moment I very occasionally use GIMP (free download) if I need a bit more layer work.  If you try GIMP, be aware it is very much destructive editing with only one set back available if you make an error!.

DxO rendered my files clearer with reduced noise and  with Affinity would have been my proffered workflow if DxO supported Fuji and Affinity or DxO would print reliably.  In the end I just ran out of time to experiment.

Sorry I can not be of more help. 

Do you use a Canon Pro-10s printer?

Can you confirm that assigning a profile changed the print?

I am happy to be corrected but when I tried the print was not as good as from LR using the Canon Plugin. The test print was a downloaded .jpg found on the internet as well as my own image.

• 10 months later...

Canon introduced a new software for printing, based on their Layout plugin. The new software called Professional Print & Layout (current version 1.1.0) can be used as standalone printing software or as a PhotoShop plugin. It takes a little time to understand it's concept of slots and pages, but it is neccessary to use the automatic nesting layout. Color management functions are the same as in Print Studio Pro. There is a switch to Soft Proof the print preview. Standalone version is a great printing software for images prepared in Affinity to print on Canon PRO printers.
I wonder if you'll like this software. Tom

canon_professional_layout.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I too print to a Canon PRO-100 and have enjoyed the Canon Print Studio Pro plugin for its convenience. Just unfortunate that neither Canon or Affinity wants to emulate PSP for printing from AP. However, I have found that if you install the Canon driver, you can do nearly everything that PSP offers. To use ICC profiles, first of all go to Settings (for the driver), then go to the Main tab while in the Canon driver as you're setting up to print. In the middle of the Main panel you will see the Color Intensity box. Two options there, select Manual, that opens a subpanel, at the top you will see a Matching tab. Click that, choose ICC Profile Matching, which opens up all the paper profiles you have installed, including the Canon papers.

Having seriously considered all things and using the above steps, I have printed from Affinity Photo using ICC profiles. On the Main panel is also an option to select and print Pattern prints, which gives you a chance to run a test sheet so you can fine tune your setup. The only hangup I can see at this point is that the Affinity part of the Print setup offers only a Fit type/Size (percentage) option if you are needing to change the image size on the paper size you are printing to, (i.e. 5x7 image on a 8x10.) If Affinity or someone has figured this out, would appreciate the feedback.