You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Questions from a Painter Trying to Fix RAW Photos of Paintings

Dear Affinity Support:

Between Aperture and Photoshop, I am having a very difficult time understanding how to diagnose and repair the images that I shoot in RAW.  As a result, I'm looking for some new software.  I hope Affinity Photo might be an option.

Please see the attached screenshot as a typical example.  You can see the "speckles" of white, especially on the left-hand side of the image.

My question is:

1) What technical term should I use to describe the "speckles"?

2) Is there a feature in Affinity Photo that would easily let me remove them?  Aperture has the "retouch" brush, but that means I have to do it for every single dot.  Photoshop has a 'dust remover', but in applying that, it also distorts the image.

Any and all answers/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tim

post-28712-0-53434100-1469972793_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Tim, there isn't a filter in the current Mac App Store build (1.4.2) of Photo that will automate the process of removing those speckles (random artefacts I suppose you could call them!).

There is however a new Dust & Scratches filter coming in Photo 1.5 that should be exactly what you'd need to remove those. There should be a 1.5 Beta of Photo available soon that you could download and try out. For the speckles in the image you attached you would typically use a small radius and tolerance. Any fine detail loss could then be restored by going back over key areas with the Undo brush set to a low-ish opacity.

Sorry that there isn't a specific filter to help you out right now, but there will be in the near future!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• Staff

According to Photo's lead developer there should be a beta sometime this week! Being a beta, some features won't be functional or complete, but from prior testing the dust and scratches filter will certainly be functional.

Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials